Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions 2009 Golden Ticket Awards

2009 Golden Ticket Awards

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 11th, 2009, 3:09 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points

Post September 11th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Post September 11th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Hades should at least be in the top 5, I thought it was better than the Voyage!
American Eagle Lover

Post September 11th, 2009, 5:49 pm

^why is everyone bashing Hades? It is an amazing ride!
American Eagle Lover

Post September 11th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
I think he mentioned safety. Not sure, but I could be wrong.

These awards get more pointless each year as the same 1 or 2 parks jockey for the top spot.

Look at that list for steel coasters, its pathetic. Other than Bizarro and EGF its the same coasters. Except theres an overabundance of B&M Hypers which, I love those rides but they arent the most amazing things Ive ever been on. Its like the people who vote never travel outside their bubbles and never vote for anything other than whats at their home park. Its pretty pathetic.

The wood coaster makes more sense but even The Beast still gets basically nostaglia votes because it CANNOT be good enough to be in the top 10 unless people vote it based on when it first opened. Even this year I got that coveted late night ride and while its a lot of fun zippin through the forest in a straight line, its definatly not better than any GCI or TGG Ive been on. Or CCI for that matter (Exception maybe being Hoosier Hurricane).

I mean Timbers @ #10? I love timbers! I got to ride it in one of its better years, superb ride. But top 10? with all the other rides out there now? And in the condition its currently in? (Rode this year...not that good) Thats basically a nostalgia vote. They vote as if it were in top form.

Too many rides get sympathy/nostaglia votes.

Post September 11th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Agreed

I don't even really enjoy roller coasters anymore, but I totally agree that these awards are the biggest crock of crap ever. Seems nothing more than a big advertisement

Post September 11th, 2009, 9:04 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

I like also how they say its well travelled people from all over the world voting. And its done equal? 4 out of the 5 areas the poll covers are part of the USA. Then area 5 is "oh and the rest of the world". Pffft, equal my ass.

http://www.amusementtoday.com/corndog/2 ... nners.html

check the map at the bottom of the page????? [:S] That is definately equal, they dont even SHOW the rest of the world on the map??? lol.

Post September 11th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
What? How is bizarro still number 1? This is horrible. I wish it slid down off the charts so they realized it was a mistake and put it back to the way it was.

Post September 11th, 2009, 10:06 pm

It's not THAT bad. It definitely isn't as good but I still think it's deserving of it's place.

Post September 11th, 2009, 10:54 pm

Originally posted by Kyle Sloane

What? How is bizarro still number 1? This is horrible. I wish it slid down off the charts so they realized it was a mistake and put it back to the way it was.

Please tell me how the ride experience has changed? Is it running slower or something? I thought it was repainted, trains sorta redone, they got rid of the ankle bracing (which everyone cried about) and added themeing elements.

Post September 11th, 2009, 10:58 pm

The new lapbars suck, the new trains are much shakier, it doesn't pace right anymore, and the headrests are awful.

Post September 11th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Points on hand: 2,333.00 Points
Im just happy that Renegade got onto the top 50 for the woodies. Props to Prowler for #1 New ride (top 10 woodie). It was probably the right decision. [:p]

Post September 11th, 2009, 11:11 pm

^Amen! The new lap bars are made so they crush your thighs making it so you cant lift your feet up at all. The new trains are slower on the tops of hills and that AUDIO IS HORRIBLE! The new trains are butt ugly with the head rests and you cant see in front of you.

Post September 12th, 2009, 3:47 am

Points on hand: 77.00 Points
Just out of curiosity, I?????????d like to see a poll on this site asking who subscribes to Amusement Today.

Post September 12th, 2009, 12:44 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

awww, it's nice how parks and rides outside the US get a look in [lol]

Post September 12th, 2009, 1:52 pm

Originally posted by SixFlagsFiesta

I hate to break it to you guys, but all of those strange vibrations, and poor pacing are a result of poor maintenance. Eventually it will valley, and then we can all point and laugh.

Yeah, cause the trains being brand new and of different design than the ones that were made for it has nothing to do with it...

Post September 12th, 2009, 2:26 pm

I agree with Freddie. If the new trains were more than a year old, sure blame it on the maitenance people. This isn't the case.

Post September 13th, 2009, 10:04 am

Yeah it is surprizingly shaky compared to what it was.

Post September 13th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Still, they aren't the same as the old ones and they're hardly broken in yet (I rode it in June, will probably be going once more in October). That is definitely a factor.

Post September 13th, 2009, 9:31 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Ever since the Mitch Hawker poll kind of revealed the flaw in the GTA's polling method, I've never even cared. How can I possibly trust a poll that perpetually lists Mean Streak as one of the top 50 woodies in the world? It's all just a big popularity contest, with regard only for how many people rode the coasters rather than how good the coasters actually are.

Post September 14th, 2009, 5:17 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

^Hence every ride and park listed in the top rides and parks being entirely situated in America. Fail.

Post September 14th, 2009, 10:37 am

Originally posted by Freddie

Still, they aren't the same as the old ones and they're hardly broken in yet (I rode it in June, will probably be going once more in October). That is definitely a factor.

Or just simply the fact they were trains not originally designed for it and as said, untill maintenance gets around to sorting out the problems you have vibration? Seems incredibly logical since you yourself said they werent originally designed for that ride. So...itll run like that until they can sort out whatever is causing the issues and apply some fixes.

Post September 14th, 2009, 5:37 pm

That is still a design issue then, not people trying to maintain it. If they maintain it properly, it will be this shaky and crappy forever.

Post September 14th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Originally posted by cjd

Ever since the Mitch Hawker poll kind of revealed the flaw in the GTA's polling method, I've never even cared. How can I possibly trust a poll that perpetually lists Mean Streak as one of the top 50 woodies in the world? It's all just a big popularity contest, with regard only for how many people rode the coasters rather than how good the coasters actually are.

But didn't the Mitch Hawker poll rank Eagle Fortress as #1? That's a pretty big flaw...
American Eagle Lover

Post September 14th, 2009, 8:35 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Originally posted by Jonny Richey

But didn't the Mitch Hawker poll rank Eagle Fortress as #1? That's a pretty big flaw...

It was #2, and how is that a flaw? That thing looks completely sick. Have you seen the POV video?

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions