Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions 6-year-old drops nearly 50 feet from Ferris wheel

6-year-old drops nearly 50 feet from Ferris wheel

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 3,231.00 Points

Boy dies in fall at S.J. Fair
6-year-old drops nearly 50 feet from Ferris wheel

Nick Juliano
Record Staff Writer
Published Monday, Jun 19, 2006

STOCKTON - A 6-year-old boy died Sunday after falling off a Ferris wheel at the San Joaquin Fair, police said.

The boy was on the Ferris wheel alone and fell from one of the gondola-style cars as it passed the peak of the nearly 50-foot-high Giant Wheel around 4:30 p.m., said Detective Roseann Clark, a Stockton Police Department spokeswoman. The boy's mother was watching from the ground as her son tumbled from the car, Clark said.

The boy and his mother were from Stockton, but their names were not released.

It's unclear exactly how the boy fell from the ride, but Clark said he might have been scared and tried to climb down as the wheel reached its zenith. Each car is fitted with two sets of swinging double doors that appear to remain unlocked while the ride is moving.

The fair remained open throughout the day Sunday, but the wheel was shut down. Fairgoers strolled past the ride Sunday night, many stopping to survey the entrance wrapped in police tape as investigators continued to examine the ride as late as 9 p.m.

The accident left witnesses shaken, although it's unclear how many other riders were on the Ferris wheel at the time.

"I don't even want to talk about it," said one man working at a carnival game directly across from the Ferris wheel who said he saw the boy fall.

A sign posted outside the Ferris wheel requires riders to be at least 42 inches tall to ride without an adult.

"ALL children must be of a size to hold themselves erect and stable," the sign warns.

Police are investigating the accident, as is the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which will determine whether the ride is too unsafe to continue operating, said Forrest White, the fair's chief executive officer.

The Giant Wheel is operated by Fairfield-based Butler Amusements Inc., which provided all the fair's carnival rides this year.

Contact reporter Nick Juliano at (209) 546-8272 or njuliano@recordnet.com

Anyway I gotta debate this a-little. What so special about this report is that it was around my local area and I was going to that very same fair on that very same day but changed my mind anyway to start myself, I would like to ask anyone here "Who the love lets their child ride a Ferris wheel that reaches a tooping height of 50+feet alone?" Well this kid's doofus parents of course. For one thing, the boy woudldn't have died if the parents were atleast smart enough to go with him, and another thing, what the hell is going in this boy's parents' mind. They should've known better, plus you can't trust fairs because they are usually the best at creating an unsafe thrill ride environment.Right now the parents are sueing the fair for their sun's death. This clearly tells me they just want money from them. Makes me think the parents wanted the boy to die at the fair on a ride so they could attain big bucks. Anyway its still not the fair's fault. Even if the ride height requirement was 4'2" with companion and the boy was 4'1" and had no companion it still wouldn't matter. It's the parent's choice and they should've went with the boy. Instead they made a poor choice and now they got what they deserved for their poor choice..Many of you are asking why I would care anyway, but really this affected my parent's point of view towards the Fair. The used to think it was a fun place. Not exactly safe but safe enough, but they have now changed their minds and I don't think they'll let me go. I am a little doubtful that they won't let me go but maybe they will let me. Anyway that was just my 2 cents. I would enjoy hearing what other people think.

-italianpnoy112

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 90323/1001
Last edited by italianpnoy112 on June 20th, 2006, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post June 20th, 2006, 3:41 am

Points on hand: 2,125.00 Points

I agree with you. If the kid did not meet height requirement, they should not have let him ride alone. I was stopped a long time ago from going on an enterprise (I guess that's what ya still call em?) because I was an inch and a half under the requirement. And they should be denied in the case to sue anyways because it's their fault as a parent to not let their child go alone. I mean come on what parent can trust a 6 year old alone 50 feet up in the air? The worst thing that I've seen happen was a kid go into a diabetic shock while waiting in line for Top Thrill Dragster. And it was the parents fault because they forgot to give the kid his shot. I was next to get on too and the kid held up the ride operators for about 10 minutes after I already waited 20 minutes of breakdowns. [:(!]

Post June 20th, 2006, 4:31 am

Points on hand: 5,408.00 Points
I agree with both of you, those kids parents are love assholes, why in the hell would you let a 6 year old to go on any ride, let alone a ferris wheel. What probly happened was the kid got scared, and decided to jump out. But who else is to blam is the fair, if you see a kid all by oneself getting on a ride, a red flag should pop up, obvioulsy this kid can't ride alone.

Rmfrick
-Ryan

Post June 20th, 2006, 7:34 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Carnies fault. You make sure you have no one under that height gets on. That's their job.

Your safety and security is in their hands for that ride.

Carnival to blame here. Sure parents may be stupid, but the carnies were just as bad.

Post June 20th, 2006, 10:08 am

Points on hand: 3,415.00 Points

WHy the hell would someone let their 6 year old ride a ferris wheel alone?

Post June 20th, 2006, 10:49 am

Even if the kid was above the height and still went alone with the same age it still wouldn't change the situation. It was mainly the parent's fault for letting him on alone in the first place..Carnies are carnies..IF the parents decided they wanted to let their kid go then let them. It's their choice..This is their result, a dead kid.

Post June 21st, 2006, 12:58 am

Points on hand: 2,978.00 Points
Right now the parents are sueing the fair for their sun's death. This clearly tells me they just want money from them. Makes me think the parents wanted the boy to die at the fair on a ride so they could attain big bucks. Anyway its still not the fair's fault.

I think both the fair and the parents should be slapped with a wrongful death suit and the parents should be sterilized and prevented from having any more kids.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 90323/1001
[/quote]

Post June 21st, 2006, 9:15 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Originally posted by wersigobra

This clearly tells me they just want money from them. Makes me think the parents wanted the boy to die at the fair on a ride so they could attain big bucks.
Seriously? That is what it clearly tells you? Come on man ... what are you, psychic?

Post June 21st, 2006, 5:09 pm

^Yes I am..I also know your a human. Yes its amazing how I know that, I'm psychic :P

Post June 21st, 2006, 5:16 pm

Post June 21st, 2006, 5:24 pm

Points on hand: 2,978.00 Points

Post June 21st, 2006, 6:09 pm

Gotcha man .... well .... still, it makes no sense to me, eh?

Return to General Theme Park Discussions