Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post October 2nd, 2012, 1:07 pm

Points on hand: 582.00 Points
That logo on the ad makes me think to this :

Some men see things as they are and say why
I dream things that never were and say why not

Post October 2nd, 2012, 1:18 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,524.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by S4mumu

That logo on the ad makes me think to this :

Yeah, you're not the first to say that - but I think it's just coincidence.

Post October 2nd, 2012, 11:04 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Well, perhaps not? I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an Alice-in-wonderland-themed ride. That sounds absolutely kickass.

Post October 3rd, 2012, 3:16 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,068.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Originally posted by boneplaya

Well, perhaps not? I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an Alice-in-wonderland-themed ride. That sounds absolutely kickass.

Its extremely close to the rest of X-Sector, I think it would look out of place as its own theme. I honestly think it'll tie in with the X-Sector theme unless they (un-realistically) plan to retheme the entire area.

Having said that, Alice falling down the hole = Oblivion

Probably quite possible :P
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post October 3rd, 2012, 11:32 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
They should pull a Six Flags and paint it neon colors and then theme it to Superman so that it totally fits in with the surrounding area.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post October 3rd, 2012, 1:25 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

[lol]

Nah, it's Merlin; it'll be brown/grey and be made to look rusty etc. etc.

The logo thingy is probably just a ruse.

Post October 3rd, 2012, 8:13 pm

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
I'm still trying to figure out what's "world's first" about this. Other than... first Euro-Fighter to have two lifts and duel??

Post October 4th, 2012, 1:44 am

Are there any other coasters that duel with themselves and aren't moebius?

Post October 4th, 2012, 2:44 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

It could be the World's first coaster to have whatever name it ends up having; I wouldn't put it past Merlin to call it a world first, even just for that reason.

I'm interested in what it says on their banners, though; "World beating rollercoaster". World beating? Is that them alluding to this being a "world first something", or are they just bigging up how good they think the ride is?

Post October 4th, 2012, 11:15 am

It's probably something stupid like "world's first psycoaster" like Thirteen was (but Thirteen had a drop track as it's world's first).

Basically, it could have some stupid title as it's "world's first". I dunno, I doubt it's anything noteworthy because Alton is running out of "world's firsts" to do. And because it's Merlin - the opposite of Six Flags - where the theme tends to step infront of the ride itself.

I'm a big fan of properly themed rides (like Merlin does), but it does seem to be the trend with Thirteen and the Nemesis drop tower thing. Both rides are pretty skimpy, but the theming fleshes it out so well it still ends up being decent.

At least this new ride does stuff.

Post October 4th, 2012, 12:29 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^ Completely agree. That's a very good description of how Merlin seem to operate. But Nemesis stands as a good reminder of when they also get the ride right, not just the theming... not that I can think of another example [lol]. But hey, hopefully this one bucks the trend, and is an awesome ride at the same time as having an excellent level of theming, just like Nemesis was/is.

Post October 5th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Never trust "world first" thingies. This ride was advertised as a world first :

Image[:D]

Post October 5th, 2012, 2:57 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Most rides that are built could be claimed to be a "world first" something or other by a park's marketing department. Merlin do like to make a habit of it, in fact [lol]

Post October 5th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points

Post October 5th, 2012, 5:06 pm

^World's first ride with a bigger radius on the lift than the drop?

Post October 6th, 2012, 4:57 am

^ Nope, first coaster to do the layout twice normally and once in reverse ! [:P] I rode it this sumer, it's still a pretty cool ride.

Post October 6th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Thats pretty extensive ground work. I'm hoping Alton really make a hit with this one. IMHO they haven't introduced a worthy ride at Alton towers for a very long time now, it used to hands down be my favourite park in the country, but since The Swarm at Thorpe park, it's a hard choice nowadays. I think Alton need this coaster to be a good one (at least in the coaster community) theres only so long they can live off the fact that Nemesis is world class.

Post October 7th, 2012, 3:48 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post October 14th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
I'm ridiculously excited about this, especially after 13, which is an absolutely terrible waste of money.

Anyway, the layout looks epic and I'm so happy to see X-Sector getting some attention because it's an absolute dive at the minute. I am a little upset that there wont be a traditional Euro fighter drop because they offer a lot but I do like a change.

As for the worlds first, it is an element (sort of) and I know exactly what it is; they might as well not bother with it though because it sucks in my opinion (just like the thirteen kiddie drop in dark, woooo scary....) It's just another ridiculous marketing stunt so they can claim it's a world first, which I suppose they have to do for the general public but whatever.

The clue to the element is in the hypnotic eyeballs, if that makes sense.

Post October 14th, 2012, 1:16 pm

^Are you talking about the rotating track idea? And are you implying that you know it's going to be put in for sure?

Post October 14th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
All i was told is either at the start, end or middle of the ride there will something he described as a stationary heartline roll.....ghey

Post October 14th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
I think the description is a misnomer, really. Shouldn't it be described as a "stationary in-line twist"? Considering the fact that a stationary heartline roll is impossible.

Post October 15th, 2012, 12:18 am

Originally posted by NightwindElf

I think the description is a misnomer, really. Shouldn't it be described as a "stationary in-line twist"? Considering the fact that a stationary heartline roll is impossible.

Not really - look up the animation and you'll see it's spun around the heartline.

Post October 15th, 2012, 12:49 am

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
Found the animation. Looks like a dumb idea. Basically, this allows SW7 to always have the most number of inversions because they can always one up the record.

Post October 15th, 2012, 12:55 am

Originally posted by NightwindElf

Basically, this allows SW7 to always have the most number of inversions because they can always one up the record.

Exactly. So f*cking cheap lol, but whatever. I feel like they should stop going for "world firsts/records" and make some straight quality rides. Nemesis is a prime example... I mean it did some kind of "world first" I think since it was SW3 (something like "most intense coaster lolz"), but really. All Nemesis is: an invert with some great scenery and intensity. No stupid gimmicky "har har let's spin you 16 times in a tube and call them coaster inversions even though it's a flat ride".

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!