Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post January 10th, 2013, 6:16 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
A standard wild mouse would probably be better than how that looks
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post January 10th, 2013, 6:49 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,534.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by Turbo

This should be way better than Thirteen. If it's not, I will be surprised

Having a fat, sweaty man do a bit of an ass dribble onto my face would be better than Th13teen.

This will be better than Th13teen.

Post January 10th, 2013, 9:43 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Well I retract my thoughts on how stupid I thought the drop was then.

Post January 11th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Points on hand: 412.00 Points
Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

A standard wild mouse would probably be better than how that looks
Don't under estimate alton towers, this is a video on how it will look 100% accurate to the plans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liu91c_r9dU

Post January 11th, 2013, 3:23 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

I was insulting Thirteen.

Post January 11th, 2013, 10:37 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rumour suggests that Oblivion will be receiving a re-paint/slight re-theme during this off season, to go with the general new look of X-Sector. Anyone heard anything of that? Know if there's any truth in it, or whether it's just pure conjecture?

Post January 12th, 2013, 7:28 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,068.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Originally posted by gouldy

Rumour suggests that Oblivion will be receiving a re-paint/slight re-theme during this off season, to go with the general new look of X-Sector. Anyone heard anything of that? Know if there's any truth in it, or whether it's just pure conjecture?

I can't see a change of colour being that noticable haha. Maybe though, whats SW7's theme rumoured to be? Anyone know?
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post January 12th, 2013, 8:45 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Well the advertising thingy seems to suggest a guy that's gone all derp because of spinning too much, so... some kind of lunatic asylum? [lol]

Post January 12th, 2013, 10:27 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Maybe they'll just do routine maintenance painting and pretend it's a retheme by putting a new light around the tunnel or something.

Maybe the Six Flags "fix something broken and call it new with a tunnel" idea will spread.

And yes I'm aware it's a B&M and those are a bit harder to break than others and that is has no problems.

Post January 12th, 2013, 2:24 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

mmmm damn looks like I'll have to make another trip to alton some day

Post January 12th, 2013, 2:30 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Maybe they'll just do routine maintenance painting and pretend it's a retheme by putting a new light around the tunnel or something.

Maybe the Six Flags "fix something broken and call it new with a tunnel" idea will spread.

And yes I'm aware it's a B&M and those are a bit harder to break than others and that is has no problems.

It has one fairly major problem... it's a little bit rubbish [lol]

It's alright, to be fair, always a great feeling on the drop, but... it's tiny and doesn't do anything else. It's alright if there's no queue for it, but I certainly wouldn't queue more than a few minutes to ride it.

If anything does happen to it, I'm sure it'll just be a repaint of the same or possibly a slightly darker grey. I don't think it'll be a true re-theme, like you say, more like just a new sign or light or something of that nature on the ride to tie it in with the new ride.

Post January 12th, 2013, 4:50 pm
mkingy User avatar

It has one fairly major problem... it's a little bit rubbish [lol]

It's alright, to be fair, always a great feeling on the drop, but... it's tiny and doesn't do anything else. It's alright if there's no queue for it, but I certainly wouldn't queue more than a few minutes to ride it.

If anything does happen to it, I'm sure it'll just be a repaint of the same or possibly a slightly darker grey. I don't think it'll be a true re-theme, like you say, more like just a new sign or light or something of that nature on the ride to tie it in with the new ride.

To be fair, it's a good ride until you realise whats been created elsewhere, especially krake in my opinion.

Maybe the guy goes mental and then jumps off something into a big pit. That way all they need to do is change the video thats shown on the TV that nobody pays attention to...
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post January 14th, 2013, 2:42 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Good lord!

I like how they've obscured some of the image to hide the "Secret Weapon" element. The size of the area that has been covered seems to make me even surer that the rotating piece of track is what the Secret Weapon is.

Post January 14th, 2013, 3:03 pm
mkingy User avatar

Post January 14th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Points on hand: 1,136.00 Points
AHAHAHAHA. The coaster nerdy-ness is oozing out of me!

Post January 14th, 2013, 5:59 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Somewhere, someone has these photos, minus the obscuring text... I want to see them. Tried a basic TinEye search on the images, but to no avail. Less from a coaster enthusiast's point of view, more from a curious engineer's point of view: I really would like to see what's hidden under that text...

Post January 14th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I know its there regardless of what I or anyone else thinks, but I feel that this promises to pretty decent without that secret turning thing, Unless they tie it in the theming perfectly it just seems silly
What are these for?

Post January 14th, 2013, 6:41 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I kind of agree; it does seem like a bit of a poopty gimmick - and it really seems like a very very cheap way of claiming the most inversions on a coaster, if they do. We'll have to wait and see how it fits, like you say, it might suit the theme perfectly and become and integral part of the ride because of that.

You can tell on this image especially, that you start by dropping out of the station to the left and diving under the batwing element, then you rise back up into this hidden "secret" area.

Post January 14th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
They should leave it out in the open so that when it rains (which it will b/c it's Britain) you guys can have the world's first washing machine simulation on a roller coaster.

The secret weapon to end all coasters.

Post January 15th, 2013, 9:45 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

It would be the first time in months most of the people at Alton Towers would have had a wash; what with Alton Towers being near to Stoke and all.

Stoke, you see, is an abhorrent place, filled largely with cretinous white trash type folk. (Apologies to anyone on here from Stoke, although you probably won't be able to read this anyway so there's probably little need for the apology).

Post January 15th, 2013, 11:08 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

I wish I had time for No Limits

Post January 16th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

Stoke, you see, is an abhorrent place, filled largely with cretinous white trash type folk. (Apologies to anyone on here from Stoke, although you probably won't be able to read this anyway so there's probably little need for the apology).

you not kidding, stoke is not a nice place.

i still think the whirling this wont happen, it looks very nauseating and a pathetic excuse for the inversion record

a much easier and i think better record is something that could very easily accomplished. a turntable that faces you backwards meaning you do the first part of the coarse in reverse and they would bet the record for the most backwards inversions.
Making screams come true

Post January 16th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
^ That would certainly enhance the dueling experience
What are these for?

Post January 16th, 2013, 3:18 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

An interesting thought, Gaz; but surely equally as nauseating, if not more so, than a few revolutions in the rotator?

And if that's what the Secret Weapon is, could they call it a world first? I'm sure there are other coasters that have turntables.

Post January 16th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

they have not called it a world first, just a world beater
Making screams come true

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!