Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post August 24th, 2011, 4:10 pm

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
It's just Iron Wolf.
Originally posted by dcs221
\nMack Daddy A113. That'll be your rap name.

Post August 24th, 2011, 4:25 pm
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
I would be quite happy with that A113, but I doubt that will happen.

Post August 24th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

Originally posted by A113

It's just Iron Wolf.

Iron Wolf may have been B&M's first Stand-up, but, not a world's first, still would be nice to see the UK getting another stand-up, and Iron Wolf would be a good addition, especially if they keep most of the trees in the flume area. As for what is actually going to happen, it'll be interesting to see what is really going in. I still think a 4d wingrider is definitely in the realm of possibility. As said before many times, just because it hasn't been done yet, does not mean it is impossible, case and point, Sky Scrapper at World Joyland (no pre-drop and a standard loop on a flyer) and the B&M project at Parc Asterix.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post August 24th, 2011, 4:39 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,524.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by Wing-Over

Thinking about it, I think controlled rotation like X2 will never happen because it would require completely different track including extra rails to control the rotation, and when have we ever seen B&M change their track shape? (Except for maybe tweaking the size of the spine or shape of the ties?)

Free rotation, now maybe that's possible, but definitely unlikely for SW7.

Unless, of course, they have developed another way of acheiving said guidence [;)] It's not as if it would be difficult to add a central rail that increased/decreased in height relative to the regular rails. I think, as enthusiasts, sometimes we see this technology as some alien space age tech from the future, but it's really really simple engineering. For a company like B&M or Intamin, if they wanted to develop a controlled 4D coaster type, it really would not be difficult. Heck, even I design more complicated engineering systems at work than the moving rack mechanism that drives the Arrow 4D coaster seats. Honestly, it's really basic stuff.

Post August 24th, 2011, 4:40 pm

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
I was just joking... hahaha. I'm pretty sure it's a wing-rider.
Originally posted by dcs221
\nMack Daddy A113. That'll be your rap name.

Post August 24th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

Originally posted by gouldy

Originally posted by Wing-Over

Thinking about it, I think controlled rotation like X2 will never happen because it would require completely different track including extra rails to control the rotation, and when have we ever seen B&M change their track shape? (Except for maybe tweaking the size of the spine or shape of the ties?)

Free rotation, now maybe that's possible, but definitely unlikely for SW7.

Unless, of course, they have developed another way of acheiving said guidence [;)] It's not as if it would be difficult to add a central rail that increased/decreased in height relative to the regular rails. I think, as enthusiasts, sometimes we see this technology as some alien space age tech from the future, but it's really really simple engineering. For a company like B&M or Intamin, if they wanted to develop a controlled 4D coaster type, it really would not be difficult. Heck, even I design more complicated engineering systems at work than the moving rack mechanism that drives the Arrow 4D coaster seats. Honestly, it's really basic stuff.

You're right, I'm sure B&M could quite easily engineer something like this if they really wanted, I just don't think it's very likely they will since they don't seem to drastically change their style much. I mean, them simply not having a pre-drop on one of their rides made a fuss.

But hey, I'd love to be wrong. A 4D B&M at Alton could have the potential to be the kind of great coaster that Nemesis is.

Post August 24th, 2011, 5:06 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Clearly won't be a 4D though [lol] Alton Towers/Merlin would not have the money for something like that, not a chance in hell. Not unless it just rolled 10ft out of the station and then back again.

Post August 24th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
i get in free to alton towers :)
and every other merlin owned park :)

but in most cases
the b&m wingrider is classified as a 4d coaster because you dont sit on the bloody tracks :P

Post August 24th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

Ummmm...what, you still only move in 3 dimensions, the 4th dimension is the rotation of the seats, so, I don't really understand the logic behind your statement.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post August 24th, 2011, 6:57 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,068.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I'm not so sure it'll be as innovative as it could be. Not sure AT could do with another reliability nightmare after AIR. :/
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post August 25th, 2011, 5:32 am

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

Has anyone thought about the possibility that this is a teaser for next year and not 2013? The flume could be leaving at the end of this season and being replaced by something smaller.

They may not be hinting at 2013 at all, as it is a little early and they haven't even finished advertising their campaign for voting for the greatest ride yet...

Post August 25th, 2011, 10:31 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Clearly it's for 2014.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 25th, 2011, 1:23 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

alton_ the sign actually mentions the fact that what is coming is a "secret weapon" and that they are unsure of how long it's going to take to make the journey from Switzerland, which we know means they're still unsure whether it'll be 2013 or 2014.

You're right though, they haven't finished the voting for the greatest ride yet, which I can only expect to be an info gathering session on their part to find out what type of coaster the people who attend AT prefer. Although, why they need to ask that question is beyond me, seeing as this is the one thing that the general public and enthusiasts will agree on the answer to en masse. There is only really one answer from both sides of the equation.

Post August 25th, 2011, 1:29 pm
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points

Post August 25th, 2011, 2:30 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post August 25th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

squirrel nutty is the most epic ride at alton tower, i shall be attending the corronation monday as well as being at alton towers the whole of this weekend and attending a garden and towers tour on saturday night so expect photos.

the poster deffo refers to SW7 for many reasons, all that have already been explained.
ohh and the thing you said about a B&M rolling 10 ft gouldy then yeah, look at th13teen. very short standered track with a majour element that cost way to much and then some pretty some bit after that.
Making screams come true

Post August 25th, 2011, 3:44 pm
mkingy User avatar

no, clearly I meant squirrel nutty... [lol]

What and not the Ribena Berry Bish Bash? I know its not technically a ride but an adult version of that would be hilarious.
Coaster Count - 198

Post August 25th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Originally posted by mkingy

no, clearly I meant squirrel nutty... [lol]

What and not the Ribena Berry Bish Bash? I know its not technically a ride but an adult version of that would be hilarious.

RBBB is only good for 1 thing, making kiddies cry.
Making screams come true

Post August 26th, 2011, 2:04 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post August 26th, 2011, 11:10 am

Points on hand: 542.00 Points
If it is Intamin, it would be cool to see another Aquatrax.
Progressive Rock Band "Castles"
http://castlesnj.bandcamp.com/

Post August 26th, 2011, 3:21 pm

hey, theres nothing better than smashing a kid in the face with a hard foam ball.

and i dought it will be another intamin, the towers sorta fell out with them after th13teen
Making screams come true

Post August 27th, 2011, 1:47 am

Points on hand: 542.00 Points
But you don't think that they could be under a contract with Intamin?
Progressive Rock Band "Castles"
http://castlesnj.bandcamp.com/

Post August 27th, 2011, 5:43 am
mkingy User avatar

Originally posted by HZKoasters

But you don't think that they could be under a contract with Intamin?

Equally they could have just fninished their contract with Intamin :P
Coaster Count - 198

Post September 17th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Points on hand: 2,928.00 Points
[:O] TH13teen was a brilliant ride! With SW7 though, I think its going to be in the Black hole building. Because they must have left it up for SOME reason. Corkscrew was sclosed for apparantley the same reason, but it was immediately replace with the much better Th13teen. So i think there will be some kind of dark thrill ride in there. Or something to do with Gloomy Wood Scince the only ride there is Duel so it is a bit boring. As for Th13teen, [:O]

Post September 17th, 2011, 7:46 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by changa

With SW7 though, I think its going to be in the Black hole building. Because they must have left it up for SOME reason.

It is already clear that SW7 will replace The Flume.

Originally posted by changa

[:O] TH13teen was a brilliant ride!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!