Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post February 24th, 2013, 7:29 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It's like a newton ride with rolls everywhere
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post February 24th, 2013, 7:58 pm
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points

Post February 24th, 2013, 9:12 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

God damn it you missed the whole point, which was putting rolls everywhere you can "just because".

Post February 25th, 2013, 6:07 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,524.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I get what you mean, it is a little bit "let's just throw as many rolls/inversions in as possible"; but even though it has more inversions than Colossus, I actually think this layout feels less like that than Colossus does. Colossus has 5 heartline rolls in a row, separated by 1 corner between the 4th and 5th, where as this only has 2 in a row, and one of them is closer to a corkscrew than a heartline roll.

I do agree though, it is a little bit "Newton; just because I can"; but this is still undoubtedly the best ride Alton Towers has built since Nemesis. Let's hope it stays fairly smooth for at least a few months...

Post March 4th, 2013, 9:28 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

A few images from the most recent aerial update from TowersTimes.

The site now has a very twisted section of track heading through the middle of it, as you can see. Entering from the cobra roll, it goes through a half zero g roll into a half heartline roll immediately followed by a half corkscrew into a half heartline roll - essentially rising all the way from the cobra roll to the end of this element.

Only time will tell at the moment whether there will be a final cheeky roll just before the ride enters the final brakes (similar to Colossus).

At this point in time, there are now 14 confirmed inversions - which could feasibly rise to 15.

Progress is still a little slow, on site, although this week is expected to see quite a chunk of support work going up, now that the majority of the plastic plugs have been removed from the footers in the main concrete slab.

Visit Towerstimes.co.uk, or their Facebook page for more images of the latest aerial update.

Post March 4th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

im loving the layout still and the inversions are alot more out of control that that on colossus which will suit the ride. BTW those 2 rolls are on the exit of the cobra roll not the entrance.
Making screams come true

Post March 4th, 2013, 2:55 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by gazag

BTW those 2 rolls are on the exit of the cobra roll not the entrance.

That's why I said "entering from the cobra roll" [lol]

Post March 4th, 2013, 6:15 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Why be english hard, in the words line!

Post March 5th, 2013, 1:26 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

The first half of the Pretzel is almost in!

Looks like they're about ready to put the corksrcew in that goes through the pretzel, too.

Post March 5th, 2013, 2:45 pm

less than 2 weeks till the start of the season then i can go stand and stare at it. its so beautiful
Making screams come true

Post March 5th, 2013, 2:55 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Indeed; already been once this season, but the next time I go won't really be to ride coasters, it'll just be me, my DSLR and my tripod. I'll wait til a nice weather day.

Post March 5th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
This will be one of the most intense rides out there. If you aren't dizzy after riding this, I'd be shocked.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post March 5th, 2013, 3:36 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I'm not worried by that, personally; but you're not the first person to say that. I get the feeling this would have an Ultra Extreme rating across the board if you tried to build it on RCT [lol]

I'm personally more worried about the fact that it's Gerstlauer, which on previous experience means after about 6 months it will probably be as smooth as whiping your arse with sandpaper.

Post March 5th, 2013, 5:32 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,511.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

It looks crazy fun, but it also looks like a massive clusterf**k of steel (in a good way)
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post March 5th, 2013, 6:59 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Just been reading back through the thread and I have got to say, Boneplaya, you deserve a prize or something... you called it dude, you called it absolutely spot on.

Originally posted by boneplaya - January 2012

I can count 8 inversions in the large elements, and I see opportunities for at least 4 more (corkscrew after batwing, barrel roll and corkscrew after cobra roll, and a pre-lift inversion(s?) in the building). I suppose it's possible they just haven't shown exactly what the track banking will look like in these particular images. I mean, all of the turns do look completely flat.

Post March 12th, 2013, 3:18 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Really starting to come together now.

An aerial update from TowersTimes tonight, too, which apparently shows a lot more, but we'll see. I'll upload or link to those pictures tomorrow!

Post March 12th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Points on hand: 1,034.00 Points
Alton Towers and Thorpe Park have way too many black coasters.

Post March 12th, 2013, 3:40 pm

sorry but what? neither alton towers does not have a black coaster this will be the first.

the new photos really are stunning especially the one looking down the twist. cannot wait to see it for myself saturday
Making screams come true

Post March 12th, 2013, 4:35 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,068.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

sorry but what? neither alton towers does not have a black coaster this will be the first.

the new photos really are stunning especially the one looking down the twist. cannot wait to see it for myself saturday

It would probably be more correct to say too many grey/black rides though...
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post March 12th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Points on hand: 1,136.00 Points

Post March 12th, 2013, 5:30 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

LOLWUT?

Merlin only builds in grey or black it seems. Although this technically isn't black, it's very dark grey; we saw on the plans it would be painted RAL7021, which is a dark grey. Black is RAL9005.

Just looking through the aerial update... this ride is going to be a stunning addition. The photos are for members only, until tomorrow, so if you want to go and look through them now, go and sign up over at towerstimes.co.uk

Post March 12th, 2013, 7:51 pm

Points on hand: 1,136.00 Points

Post March 12th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Originally posted by gouldy

Just been reading back through the thread and I have got to say, Boneplaya, you deserve a prize or something... you called it dude, you called it absolutely spot on.

Originally posted by boneplaya - January 2012

I can count 8 inversions in the large elements, and I see opportunities for at least 4 more (corkscrew after batwing, barrel roll and corkscrew after cobra roll, and a pre-lift inversion(s?) in the building). I suppose it's possible they just haven't shown exactly what the track banking will look like in these particular images. I mean, all of the turns do look completely flat.

So I've been on hiatus from this site for like 2 years, and I come back to visit and see this! I'm flattered, but incredibly confused [lol]

Post March 13th, 2013, 11:53 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points

I'm personally more worried about the fact that it's Gerstlauer, which on previous experience means after about 6 months it will probably be as smooth as whiping your arse with sandpaper.

I hope the same guy as the designer from Takabisha wil be behind this ride. Takabisha gave a nice and smooth ride away. And that was about a year after opening. Usually Gerstlauers have somewhere a little bump, which was about nowhere to be found on that ride. [:)]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 13th, 2013, 1:29 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Dirk_Ermen

I hope the same guy as the designer from Takabisha wil be behind this ride. Takabisha gave a nice and smooth ride away. And that was about a year after opening. Usually Gerstlauers have somewhere a little bump, which was about nowhere to be found on that ride. [:)]

I hold on to the same hope, Dirk. A few people have said that rides like Takabisha and Anubis are as smooth as glass, so with any luck it will be more like those rides than like Saw, or Speed.

A couple of photos from TowersTimes' aerial update from last night:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!