Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Alton Towers - SW7 - "The Smiler"

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post March 13th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Points on hand: 1,676.00 Points
Is this going to be a vertical lift or a launch? Looks f'ing awesome.
Do Not Look At My Hard Hat Threads I Am Not Advertising My Rides In My Posts' So Please Don't Look At My (insert Coaster name here) It's Not In The Hard Hat Area

Post March 13th, 2013, 5:16 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,524.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

It begins with a regular lift, and then half way through the layout is a vertical lift. At least, that's what the plans said, but the things built so far are a little different from the plans we saw originally.

Post March 14th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Points on hand: 1,676.00 Points
Oh, okay. Yeah, I asked because of the track dumping left out of the station but it's hard to see where it goes. Looks like it will end up just to the right of the brake run and transfer in that ditch. Ride looks sick as f@#$!
Do Not Look At My Hard Hat Threads I Am Not Advertising My Rides In My Posts' So Please Don't Look At My (insert Coaster name here) It's Not In The Hard Hat Area

Post March 16th, 2013, 6:55 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

All of the evidence now points to the coaster's final inversion count being 15. This makes sense, because although rcdb currently lists the inversion record as 10; Guinness World Records lists Eejanaika as the record holder with 14, which is total crap, but they got away with it.

Regardless, a coaster with 15 track inversions would definitely claim the record.

First a screenshot from the game, you can see "The Marmeliser" (the big piece of spider theming), on which you can just make out the words "15 rotations"

Next, someone got a photo of a Smiler mug, which has 15... loops? or something... on the handle. 13 which you can see, 1 on the bottom and 1 on the top of the handle.

Lastly, we get this German article about Merlin (it's translated literally from German to English, so some of it reads like total gibberish), which would appear to be pretty darn clear about it.

The only thing is... where on Earth would a 15th track inversion fit? The inversions seem pretty much one after the other and crammed in, when we thought it was 14, but a 15th? My guess would be that there might be an extra cheeky roll thrown in before it hits the brakes, but there doesn't look to be quite enough space in what's already been built, to fit that in. Only really leaving something very special happening with either of the 2 lifts... any thoughts?

Edit:

And photos of construction as it is this morning (photos taken about 10 minutes ago, ha)

EDIT2:

Added an element with my boss MS Paint skills [lol]

Post March 18th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

Originally posted by gouldy

Next, someone got a photo of a Smiler mug, which has 15... loops? or something... on the handle. 13 which you can see, 1 on the bottom and 1 on the top of the handle.

this was brought by a member of towersstreet.co.uk and it has 14 loops on the handle. it was brought from the hotel on the Friday night but the mugs were removed from sale by Saturday after they were put on sale by mistake. its not supposed to be on sale till may. well done towers for that goof up.

i was at the towers on Saturday and wow the thing is bloody impressive. the scale is alot bigger than photos indicate.

some photos I took from Saturday

the start of the big center piece is already on site and you can see the LED boards on it

abit of a mystery here too. there is a rogue support on site. this support is the one which holds the centre of the "serpent roll" up however there is this suspecting support that has a blank piece leading down. it has no footer for it so cannot be just a beam and from the plans looks like it heads for the centre of the path of the track on the exit from the element. this leads me to believe that either there is a fairly big piece of themeing here or there is another inversion somehow.
Making screams come true

Post March 18th, 2013, 2:17 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Cheers Gaz for your photos!

This is a panoramoic photo I took on my visit yesterday:

And I took this photo, because I think it shows how nice the area will start to look, as this part seems pretty much finished off:

Edit:

Originally posted by gazag

abit of a mystery here too. there is a rogue support on site. this support is the one which holds the centre of the "serpent roll" up however there is this suspecting support that has a blank piece leading down. it has no footer for it so cannot be just a beam and from the plans looks like it heads for the centre of the path of the track on the exit from the element. this leads me to believe that either there is a fairly big piece of themeing here or there is another inversion somehow.

I don't personally think there is much of a mystery there. If you look at other supports on site, you can clearly see that the one pointing downwards will connect to another piece of support, not trackwork. This will just be another brace back to either the floor, or the side wall where the concrete is in that area. The track of the second dive loop dives down underneath the brace that will go there. You can see it much more clearly in my edited photo in my previous post.

Post March 19th, 2013, 8:25 am

you are more than likely right Gouldy. I shall be back at towers later this week or mid next week to check on construction
Making screams come true

Post March 19th, 2013, 8:48 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

As if by magic:

photo credit to JayJay90 on TowersTimes

EDIT:

Seaserpent roll starting to take shape today:

EDIT 2:

Post March 21st, 2013, 1:30 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Seaserpent Roll now nearly completed, except a support which is still to be added:

It seems these are the uniforms the ride-ops will be wearing:

Thoughts?

Post March 21st, 2013, 2:18 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Post March 21st, 2013, 3:14 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by cjd

Holy hell, that is one twisted knot of track!

Yup, pretty much...

Post March 21st, 2013, 4:22 pm

i was going to go today but i ran out of time and had to miss out. ill pop up next week instead for a few hours. im liking the uniforms for the staff although i would of preferred them to be doctors rather than generic solder types
Making screams come true

Post March 21st, 2013, 4:49 pm

Points on hand: 1,136.00 Points
wow, this ride looked crazy in the plans but, seeing it built is just astonishing! And there is still more to be done!

Post March 23rd, 2013, 5:32 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Fairly major snowfall again, causing further delays no doubt. The park had to close on Friday and remains closed until Monday, weather forgiving, of course. The ride is already a fair bit behind schedule!

Photo taken by Staffordshire police

Post March 24th, 2013, 12:50 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
How does your police force not have a 3 year life expectancy if they need to rely on terrible De'Range'ed Rovers?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 25th, 2013, 1:07 am

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
^Range Rovers actually have a lot more capability than you'd think. It's like the Veyron: despite all of the luxuries and weight it is extremely capable for what they are. Unless you get the 2WD version.

Post March 25th, 2013, 8:45 am
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
It's a Land Rover Discovery (also use the Freelander and Range Rover), and I think you'll find they cope just fine with them.

Post March 25th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Points on hand: 2,204.00 Points
Originally posted by TheArchitect

It's a Land Rover Discovery (also use the Freelander and Range Rover), and I think you'll find they cope just fine with them.

I think he was referring to the abysmal reliability record that land rover has.

Post March 25th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
Don't know about Land Rover reliability so I guess I can't comment on that lol.

also smiler

Post March 25th, 2013, 6:14 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Smiler [;)]

The snow melted enough today for them to carry on with track construction, I guess. Looks as if they have installed the bottom of the first drop.

EDIT:

Worth a quick look:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 9457_o.jpg

Post March 29th, 2013, 6:17 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post March 29th, 2013, 7:19 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
OTSR's = lolz
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 29th, 2013, 9:52 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

This is England we're talking about. Our laws regarding this sort of this are quite silly. Not to mention the fact that a lot of the general public would probably not ride it, if it didn't have OTSRs. I'm not sure we could have expected any different.

Edit:

First pieces of theming starting to go up!

photo credits to Roodlesnouter from TowersTimes

Post March 30th, 2013, 8:13 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,511.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

I am really anxious to see this completed. I may even get a chance to ride it this summer
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post March 31st, 2013, 4:37 pm

Points on hand: 333.00 Points
The trains are pretty ugly in my opinion. They're very boxy, but I guess they fit the theme.

I agree with Turbo, this should be marvelous when completed! It's such an immaculate ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!