Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion American History between 1870-1880

American History between 1870-1880

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post February 6th, 2005, 3:51 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Do any of you know what happened during this time. I'm trying to do stuff on the reconstruction period but half of that crap was in 1860-1870, and my English teach is a wierdo, so he'd probably mark me down.

Post February 6th, 2005, 4:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Okay, well we are just doing this in history at the moment. I have only just started it so dont know all that much, but it is the time of the American Indians of the great plains.

Firstly, the american Indians had being living all happily in America, there native country but then the travellers from europe came over and found land. This was before 1860 i think. The travellers settled in the East between new york, and just above the peninsular where florida is. But after a while the land got to crowded with all the travellers coming over. So then we see some of the travellers cross the mississippi river and the mountains, and begin to cross the palins, which was previously unexplored to them. They saw it as a desert because of the harsh conditions. The European settlers had been used to fertile lands in the east of America, and in Europe itslef. They lived on Agriculture! Many stopped after reaching the areas of salt lake city, who then became the mormon people. Some went further west and settled in what is now California, and many of you people that live there will have descended from these people. Anyway, the American Indian arent that happy, with all thses travellers suddenly taking all there land. The european settlers see the Indians as very barbaric people, and we begin to see conflict between the two groups. The Europeans actually create a small group of people who travel the plains and kill some of the tribes of the indians, such as the sioux tribe and the Apache tribe. Then there is a conflict for some reason between the travellers and the Indians again, and we start to see huge battles. Thsi si when all real conflict begins. 200 Europeans march into Native American Indian land and believe God is on their side or something so they can defeat the Indians. This is not the case. They totally get their asses kicked by over 4000 American Indians. Only a few survive. Im not sure what happens next (wait i'll just get me hsitory folder!!!) Crap, cant find it. I think, dotn quote me on this, but im nearly sure the European travellers try and seek revenge. They kill almost all the buffalo in America, which was a vital resource to the American Indians. They used evrything but the buffalo's heart which they then left so a new life in a bufflo would be created. yeah anyway, the americans kill nearly all of them, until there is only 28 or 24 in America, cant remember, eek, my teacher would kill em if she was reading this, lol. They do this beacuse they now want to wipe out the whole Native American Indian race. They put them in camps, crowded in small pieces of land. etc. This is when we see the singing round the fire things come in. You must understand, the Native Amrican Indians were very religious, and spiritual people. They believd if they got enough of them singing at once, soemthing amazing would happen to help the race. Sorry, i cant remember what it is. I only started the course less than 2 weeks ago. I would also mention "the battle of little big horn" in there aswell , thats if it is in the time you need. i have given you a brief outline of the hisitory between 1840 - 1880/1890.

To find out some of the battles and things visit:
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/ba ... g_horn.htm
This talks about the battle of the little big horn, which was the biggest battle in the period you are doing. It involves general custer, and i think ti also talks of the sioux tribe, and "red cloud" and "sitting bull." Although i have not done it in great detail yet. Sorry.

Wow, im proud at remembering that much in only a week and a half of learning about it. 2/3 lessons a week each alsting an hour! But ten i have a huge exam on it coming up in June. Ask me then and i'll be an expert. lol. A* History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woo hoo.[lol]

Post February 6th, 2005, 4:34 pm

^ Hope that helps. When does your work have to be in, cos when i get my book on it, i will be able to give you more info in more detail. Im not sure if thats enough!

Post February 6th, 2005, 4:46 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

actually, your info ties in real well with what I'm doing

Post February 6th, 2005, 4:52 pm

Return to Off Topic Discussion