Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions another accident

another accident

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post April 4th, 2004, 12:20 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

Three people were catapulted from a midway ride into a crowd of dozens at the Miami-Dade County Fair after a loose bolt caused one of the Gravitron's metal walls to burst open.

A 16-year-old girl was in critical condition Saturday with head injuries. After being flung from the ride, she hit scenery attached to it, then landed on the pavement 10 yards away. Two of her friends on the spinning ride late Friday also sustained serious injuries. They were not life-threatening.

Four in the crowd waiting in line for a turn on the ride had minor injuries from being hit by debris or being trampled in the panic that followed on one of the busiest nights of the 18-day fair.

A state investigator called the accident ''a one-time thing,'' but the state's ride-inspection program has faced criticism in the past, including at least twice in the wake of serious accidents in Broward in the 1980s and 1990s.

Police did not release the names of the Miami-Dade Youth Fair victims Saturday. The three people who were thrown were airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital.

State officials blamed the accident on an old bolt on the ride, which is 18 years old and has made many appearances at the fair over the years, according to fair officials.

The ride, owned by Conklin Shows of West Palm Beach, had passed state and private inspections on March 17, the day before the fair opened, authorities said.

''This was not a manufacturer's defect or an operator error,'' said Mike Rinehart, chief investigator for the state Agriculture Department's bureau of fair ride inspections. ``It was a one-time thing, like wheels come off cars sometimes.

``The bolt appears to have sheared off, causing the two plates to wobble unevenly and then break the panel that came off of the ride.''

But the adequacy of Florida's system for inspecting amusement rides has been called into question in the past.

In 1989, a Broward grand jury issued a scathing report on a fatal amusement ride accident at the Broward County Fair, then at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, saying then-Agriculture Commissioner Doyle Conner bore the blame for a slipshod safety system.

The report followed a 1988 accident in which Christie Schafale, a 17-year-old athlete from Cooper City High School, was killed and six others were injured.

The report led to changes in the state's ride-inspection program.

But in 1997, Ron Stafford, a former head ride inspector for the state, said that despite a good overall safety record, the inspection program is riddled with inadequacies, including lack of money, time and expertise.

He said these weaknesses could have contributed to the November 1997 toppling of a swing ride that injured five people at Hollywood's Wing Ding festival. The ride had been given a clean bill during a state inspection the day before the accident.

''They simply don't have the time to inspect these rides properly,'' Safford said at the time.

On Saturday, a dozen friends and family members waited anxiously at Jackson's Ryder Trauma Center for news of the most gravely injured teen, whom they would only name as Jessica.

Gary Luechung, an uncle, said her condition was ''heavy trauma'' and that she was unresponsive.

''We are coping as best we can, and we will miss her tonight at the dinner table, and many other nights, because this is something that will take a long time to heal,'' he said. ``At this time, we don't know the impact or effect of the accident.''

The family had not yet begun to think about who might be responsible for the accident, he said.

``We don't know if the accident was because of a malfunction, or lack of oversight or a design flaw, but what to blame or who to blame is something that should be dealt with later.''

Fair officials closed the midway as soon as they learned of the 11:45 p.m. accident.

The cylindrical ride holds 45 people and spins at 24 revolutions per minute. Centrifugal force pushes the riders up against the wall. There are no restraints inside the cylinder and none are needed, Rinehart said.

''You lean against a vinyl pad,'' he explained. ``As the ride starts going around and around, it slides up with you on it. The idea is not to be restrained. The centrifugal force restrains you.''

The federal Consumer Product Safety Commission set up a program to modify the Gravitron in 1992 after an accident in Missouri; 11 children were injured when patrons were sent flying out of the ride. Before the Dade Youth Fair opened Saturday, officials inspected a second Gravitron ride on the grounds and determined its bolts were newer -- the ride is only six months old -- and allowed it to open.

Meanwhile, detectives climbed in and out of the hole in the side of ''Old Blue'' and picked over the debris -- the dozens of blue and orange light bulbs that flew off, the metal and plastic pieces of the wall.

''We have a lady who is severely hurt,'' said police spokesman Juan DelCastillo. ``We wanted to use our best resources for this -- our homicide bureau.''

An engineer is being brought in Monday to look at the bolt that failed in order to better determine what happened, said Miami-Dade County Fair and Expo chief executive Phil Clark.

The bolts are not one of the items routinely inspected.

''Checking every bolt and nut in rides of that nature is impossible,'' Rinehart said.

Orange cones marked the spot where Jessica fell. Nearby, a ''Bang the Chicken'' game squawked in the background while fairgoers ambled by and looked on curiously.

There was no evidence that the accident affected fair attendance Saturday. More than 40,000 had entered the fairgrounds by 7 p.m., a number comparable to attendance up until 7 p.m. on the last Saturday of last year's fair. Some 770,000 people attended the 18-day event last year.

''I think everybody understands this is an isolated incident,'' said fair president Darwin Fuchs. ``This is one ride. We have 98 rides.''

Conklin Shows, the ride's owner, has been a registered Florida corporation since 1978, specializing in operating amusement rides and booths for fairs statewide and in other parts of the country.

The company's president, Franklin J. Conklin, could not be reached for comment on Saturday. Howard Pringle, the director of operations, did not return calls.

<<GRIM>>

Post April 4th, 2004, 12:50 pm

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

I am not going on the Gravitron at our fair I guess.

Post April 4th, 2004, 1:01 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points

Post April 4th, 2004, 2:15 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

thats sweet, but sorta sad, they should try to be safer, god

Post April 4th, 2004, 3:14 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,738.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Post April 4th, 2004, 4:16 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

Post April 4th, 2004, 4:38 pm

Points on hand: 4,847.00 Points

Post April 4th, 2004, 4:43 pm

What if you or somebody you know got hurt in that accident? Then it wouldn't be funny.

Post April 4th, 2004, 5:15 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
wow, i'm glad i'll become sick when i ride rides like that. That is only spinning and spinning. The rides i ride is left right, right, left, right, left left, enz... [:P] More changing in direction [:P]

Dirk

Post April 4th, 2004, 6:44 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,224.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by Dirk_Ermen

wow, i'm glad i'll become sick when i ride rides like that. That is only spinning and spinning. The rides i ride is left right, right, left, right, left left, enz... [:P] More changing in direction [:P]

Dirk

So you would prefer to ride a ride on which you might die!?.......................ME TOO! :D

Post April 4th, 2004, 7:35 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

What if you or somebody you know got hurt in that accident? Then it wouldn't be funny.

All depends who that person is [;)]

Post April 4th, 2004, 7:40 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points

Post April 4th, 2004, 9:06 pm

Yea, if he didn't die the first time though, I'd get a big stick and beat him with it.

Post April 6th, 2004, 11:07 pm

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
instead of beating him w/ a stick, u get a very thin stick of bamboo, staple his nuts to a brick, and then whip them.

as for the accident: its sad, but carnival accidents are very common. those rides dont look safe, nevermind the looks of the people operating them. hell, when getting on a ride trhats run by a man with three eyes and four fingers, you should take caution!

Post April 7th, 2004, 1:32 am

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

that's crazy...I used to ride gravitrons all the time and used to ride them upside down and sideways. Now, who knows what can happen.

I'd also like to bring to your attention that Big Thunder Mountain RailRoad @ Disneyland California had a collision with one of it's other trains. Thank God that no one was on the ride when this happened...here's the report from NBC4:
Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Ride Under Scrutiny Again
Ride Involved In Collision Over Weekend

POSTED: 6:42 pm PDT April 6, 2004
UPDATED: 7:06 pm PDT April 6, 2004

LOS ANGELES -- Disneyland was ordered Tuesday to retrain two employees who run the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which was involved in a weekend collision between two empty trains while the ride was shut down.

The two trains collided at 10:40 p.m. Saturday during the restarting of the ride after it shut down when a passenger at the loading area pushed open a gate, officials said.

Dean Fryer of the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health said the collision "would not have happened during the operation of the ride with passengers on it. No guests were around and no one was on the attraction."

Big Thunder Mountain was shut down Sept. 5 after a fatal accident. It reopened March 10 after state officials were satisfied Disney had taken all corrective action -- which included retraining of staff assigned to the ride.

According to Fryer, the employees should have cleared the track of trains before performing the procedure that restarts the ride.

"One train was still on the track when they sent another train through," Fryer said. "They should have cleared all trains, then restarted it. This ride has an anti-collision mechanism. But when you reboot it, it clears the memory of the locations of where the trains are."

Disneyland's Bob Tucker said the ride reopened Sunday.

"We reviewed our operating procedures," Tucker said. "Some were not followed and we retrained accordingly. The attraction is now running with one less train. We hope to add a fourth soon."

According to a letter sent to Disney officials today, Fryer said, the two employees may not operate the attraction until they are retrained.

"Our requirements that we placed here on this ride for Disney is that these two employees cannot operate this ride until they have been provided all the proper training, and until we have a chance to review that training that they were provided," he said.

"So they can run the ride with other people who have been properly trained, but these two individuals cannot operate this ride until we sign off on their training," he said.

Because no guests were involved, there was no requirement that Disney report the collision

Post April 7th, 2004, 9:52 am

Points on hand: 2,149.00 Points
Oh my gosh. Big thunder mountain had another collision?

Post April 7th, 2004, 10:13 am

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

It's cause the stupid operators have no clue what their doing, their all too busy humming "It's a Small World".

Post April 7th, 2004, 11:06 am

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

Post April 7th, 2004, 1:59 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Post April 27th, 2004, 4:43 pm

[lol] at e-man

It's a small world is actually a good ride(for little kids)

But big thunder mountain has too many collisions, guess i don't feel like going there again

Post April 28th, 2004, 10:26 am

Points on hand: 3,741.00 Points
those operators...jeez. [lol] as for carnival rides, no amount of accidents is gonna keep me from riding em.

Post April 28th, 2004, 1:35 pm

Points on hand: 5,351.00 Points

Post April 28th, 2004, 4:02 pm

wtf??? Man, i dont see any car in there....???????? Do you ride on the top of that spinning thing or what?????

Post April 28th, 2004, 5:38 pm

You get inside it, stand against the wall, it spins around, centripetal forces make you "stick" to the wall.

Post April 30th, 2004, 9:49 am

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions