Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Attention Appletards

Attention Appletards

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post January 16th, 2009, 11:53 am

Points on hand: 5,850.00 Points

Macs are excellent imo. i do recording and studio work. photo stuff. no gaming crap. so in that case, Macs work fine for me, now if only i had one...
Dont buy starbucks coffee

its poison

Post January 16th, 2009, 11:57 am

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
Originally posted by Woodie Man
My statement was mostly related to the fact that companies refuse to update and usually for the reason of stability.

Being in the IT support and BAU field at the moment I really want to see your proof from the corporate environment that this is the reason why many companies didn't update they?????????re OS to Vista yet.

Out of personal experience I have to say that you don't have an idea what you?????????re talking about and the processes involved with such a migration. Absa bank did a NT2XP process as recent as 2007 because of the merge with Barclays and to keep productivity going was the biggest problem and gave the client a major hit on the head anyways. Therefore with XP released for 4 years already they didn't want to touch it just because of all the things that can go wrong regarding production during that time frame but we survived during migration????????? barely.

Vista is indeed a pretty stable OS including server 2008. Unfortunately the licensing and hardware costs involved are steep. Then you have to think of IDE?????????s (integrated development environment?????????s) which companies may be using and buy newer versions of those as well. $$$

We are beginning to load Server 2008 on many of our boxes but that is only for the systems that aren?????????t virtualized already. Plus Microsoft did some big changes with the interface when creating vista and I'm not looking forward to training hundreds of end users how to do their own work.

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion