Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Batman gets stuck upsidown for 40 mins!

Batman gets stuck upsidown for 40 mins!

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post August 19th, 2004, 1:31 pm

Points on hand: 4,163.00 Points

it happened yesterday when Six Flags Great Adventure lost power to all of their rides and people were stuck upsidown on Batman and Robin:The Chiller for over 40 mins. They got everyone down and no one was injured, i just thought id let you all know considering it is my home park, but im still going back, stuff like that dosent scare me at all.

Post August 19th, 2004, 1:43 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

Mind giving us the press article? I haven't heard anything about it and as long as I don't see the official news release, I consider it BS.

Losing power to the LIMs would probably cause the train to valley (and even that is unlikely) but not being stuck upside down.
I'm pretty sure Batman is still closed, and the tophat is the only part were the ride could get stuck.
The "Robin" side only has the cobra roll (very unlikely to get stuck upside down there) and the barrel roll (impossible to get stuck because it slopes down).

Whoever told you this was probably telling you a bunch of BS.

Post August 19th, 2004, 1:47 pm

Points on hand: 3,352.00 Points
The Demon at PGA did once get stuck upside down, but that was because of a wheel failure.

Post August 19th, 2004, 1:59 pm

Mind giving us the press article? I haven't heard anything about it and as long as I don't see the official news release, I consider it BS.

Losing power to the LIMs would probably cause the train to valley (and even that is unlikely) but not being stuck upside down.
I'm pretty sure Batman is still closed, and the tophat is the only part were the ride could get stuck.
The "Robin" side only has the cobra roll (very unlikely to get stuck upside down there) and the barrel roll (impossible to get stuck because it slopes down).

Whoever told you this was probably telling you a bunch of BS.

hmmm........well considering i saw it on two different news channels i dont think its BS. And considering that i would just post something like this because i heard it from someone with no evidence at all is a bunch of BS.

Post August 19th, 2004, 2:32 pm

what news channels? where did the ride get stuck "upside down"?

---Edit:
I found the article: http://www.gadv.com/newshome.html

Sorry, it wasn't against you or anything but I'm very suspicious if there's no link to an official source.

Post August 19th, 2004, 2:59 pm

Riders left dangling upside down on Chiller (07/27/03) [Associated Press] Roller coaster riders got more than they bargained for Friday when a thrill ride malfunction left 20 people dangling upside down for 20 minutes.

The malfunction in the Batman-themed roller coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure occurred about 7 p.m. on a portion of the ride where the train turns upside down 75 feet off the ground, spokeswoman Pat Klingensmith told The Star-Ledger of Newark.

One child rider was taken to the hospital for treatment of asthma, the Asbury Park Press of Neptune reported. No other injuries were reported.

Theme park maintenance and safety personnel rushed to the scene, closing the ride. They eventually were able to move the stuck train to a spot on the tracks where riders could get off.

The workers used a ladder to lower people safely to the ground, Klingensmith said.

The ride - "Batman and Robin: The Chiller" - will remain closed indefinitely while the state investigates the malfunction.

The coaster has a history of problems. A week after The Chiller was introduced in 1997, the ride was closed for a year because riders were hitting their heads on the coaster's metal parts. It was closed again in 1998 after passengers complained of neck and head pain.

Manufactured by Premier Rides of Maryland, the coaster is designed to launch riders from zero to 65 mph in less than five seconds.

Look at the date this was published - are you sure this isnt an old story? This article was from www.gadv.com so its a fairly reliable source, but it doesnt go into detail on how it got stuck.

Edit: it would seem FlyingV beat me to it :)

Post August 19th, 2004, 3:43 pm

Sorry, it wasn't against you or anything but I'm very suspicious if there's no link to an official source.

Its no problem, i would be too.

Post August 19th, 2004, 6:40 pm

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
hmmmmm thats odd. the tophat is small so i'd imagine that it would roll from the top down a side and slowly come to a stop at the bottom of the tophat?> its very rare that it would get stuch there. also, it said that it was stuck 75 feet above ground. the tallest part of the ride is 200 feet, and i know the tophat is taller than 75 feet just because a 75 foor tophat after a 200 foot drop (with a barrel roll in the middle) would have wayyy too high g forces? so i'm thinking that there's something odd with this. either the number is wrong, or the place is wrong. or mabey it didnt happen? the article also said that it was closed because riders were hitting their heads on the ride's metal parts.... what metal parts? supports? (unlikely) i dunno.. its a very weird article to me.

Post August 20th, 2004, 6:00 am

The ride got stuck in the barrel rolls on there way up to the top of the spikes apparently. The train didnt recieve its boost, which meant it sort of valleyed where the barrel roll was. Although I personally cant see how they would get stuck upside down - the train is not long enough to get stuck there in my opinion.

Post August 20th, 2004, 3:18 pm

the part on the article saying it was closed because people were hitting there heads on metal parts is from about a week after the ride opened, which is why they shut it down. Personally, i have never liked that ride and i think it was very poorly built, and i think they should just tear it down and build something better in its place.

Post August 20th, 2004, 5:58 pm

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
what metal parts were they hitting their heads on? ...and i think the batman side is the best ride in the park [;)]

Post August 20th, 2004, 6:59 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

The restraints most likely, it used to have over the shoulder restraints

oh and just because the ride is 200 feet tall doesnt mean it drops that whole 200 feet. The train would go even slower the more gradual the drop is.

Post August 20th, 2004, 11:01 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

this is wierd but the crazy thing is how demon at SFGAmerica keeps getting stuck at the top of the second loop?

Post August 20th, 2004, 11:57 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

part of the reason could be speed and how round that second loop is

Post August 21st, 2004, 9:44 am

I think theres a bump at the top of the second loop which can cause the wheel to dislodge and effectively grinding the train to a halt, of course it has to go slow to get round it so Fornication Nation wasnt too far off.

Post August 21st, 2004, 12:34 pm

Originally posted by RRollergod

this is wierd but the crazy thing is how demon at SFGAmerica keeps getting stuck at the top of the second loop?

How many times has that happened? I'm only aware of one time.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions