Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Bit of a problem...

Bit of a problem...

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post August 4th, 2006, 10:14 am

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

I'm not sure how to fix this, but appearently when I re-installed windows, and after it reinstalled for the first time, it didn't boot from the cd correclty. so now every time I turn on my comp, it tries to go and boot from a disk, which always ends up in "System disk error, cannot book from disk."

now, fortunately for me, I'm not dumb enough to not know how to get to the boot menu, so I have been able to load windows.

My situation before Linux:
I had two installations of windows on 2 hdd's, and I could only get to the boot loader from one of the hdd's.

My situation now using Linux:
I installed linux on the hdd that I could access the boot loader on before, so now if I want to use windows, I get that message saying it failed trying to boot from the cd.

My question:
How do I get it to stop trying to boot from a cd (even though it is set to boot from the HDD in the BIOS) and to go to the GRUB boot loader?

My Guess:
Find a way to write GRUB to the master boot record so it'll give me an option every time I boot up? I dunno, thats the only solution I could see, and if it is the fix, how do I come about doing it?

Post August 4th, 2006, 10:57 am

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

To get to the boot menu in windows you must press F1 while Windows is loading. (at least thats what I remember)

Post August 4th, 2006, 11:16 am

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

[stoning]

nvm, I think I just found out how to do it anyway/

Post August 4th, 2006, 12:45 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

For those who may not know the answer: You need to get into the BIOS with F1, F8, etc. depending on what your computer needs to get you there and change the settings on the BOOT menu.

Glad you found it man.
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Return to Off Topic Discussion