Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Cedar Point's WildCat to be removed

Cedar Point's WildCat to be removed

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post May 2nd, 2012, 10:27 am

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
http://www.cedarpoint.com/celebration-plaza-expansion

I don't know if this has been discussed before or not, but it's now official.

Cedar Point has announced that it is expanding its new Celebration Plaza. As a part of that expansion, Cedar Point will be removing the WildCat roller coaster.

WildCat was coming to the end of its useful life. With the desired expansion to Celebration Plaza, coupled with the low ridership and increased maintenance costs, Cedar Point has decided to accelerate the removal of the ride. WildCat will be removed from the park prior to Opening Day and the materials will be sent to a recycling facility.

This expansion is one of several initiatives that will beautify the park midways and enhance guests????????? experiences. Additional improvements include state-of-the-art lighting packages on Giant Wheel, Millennium Force and Power Tower, a new sound and lighting system along the park?????????s Main Midway and the re-painting of the Millennium Force and Blue Streak roller coasters.

Cedar Point remains committed to being the roller coaster capital of the world. New roller coasters, rides and attractions will always be a part of Cedar Point?????????s future.

Honestly, I always enjoyed the ride, but it's definitely time for it to go; I just wish I would have known at the end of last year!

Post May 2nd, 2012, 11:22 am

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Just saw it on Facebook. Pretty sad, but it's worth it. They need to save costs in this day and age. I look forward to seeing what they do in the future with modern coasters. It's about time they add a new one, this year will be five years since Maverick; they haven't gone more than four years without a new roller coaster since the 1979 (Wildcat) - 1985 (Disaster Transport) gap. Certainly they'll be planning one for 2013 or 2014. I'd love a close-to-home B&M wingwalker.

Post May 2nd, 2012, 11:25 am

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
Cedar Point remains committed to being the roller coaster capital of the world. New roller coasters, rides and attractions will always be a part of Cedar Point?????????s future.

Except CP will have 16 after this and SFMM will have 18.

What do CP.

Post May 2nd, 2012, 12:04 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Well, I suppose that Cedar Point will counter SFMM no matter what, so I'm guessing that green B&M might be for CP, and they might throw in a kiddie (and a spinner?) to trump SFMM.

Post May 2nd, 2012, 12:21 pm

^I just saw that green track you mentioned. Hopefully it's for Cedar Point. I would seriously appreciate a wing coaster at that park! It needs more high-quality coasters, specifically from the brilliant designers over at B&M.

Post May 2nd, 2012, 12:59 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Wildcat's gone. OK.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post May 2nd, 2012, 1:19 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Post May 2nd, 2012, 2:16 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points

Post May 2nd, 2012, 3:27 pm
AyTrane Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,132.00 Points

Post May 2nd, 2012, 3:30 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Originally posted by AJClarke0912

What do CP.

I'm a blogger over at C-net now so I haven't been on here as often, but I was hearing that CP was going to add TWO coasters next year (a Wingrider and a smaller coaster) so to "jump" SFMM if Full Throttle is true to get to 19. With this, they would still get to 18. Thoughts on that?

Post May 2nd, 2012, 4:11 pm

Points on hand: 1,433.00 Points

Post May 2nd, 2012, 5:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,589.00 Points
Bank: 1,000.00 Points
I guess this song will be accurate again, then.

Yes, yes, 240p...

Post May 2nd, 2012, 6:21 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
Originally posted by AyTrane

Low ridership? That ride always had a line.

The ride having a line doesn't say much about its ridership. I've never seen the ride operate in person but assuming on the ride style, it didn't have a high capacity.
This is not my signature.

Post May 3rd, 2012, 9:14 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
To be fair I always did think it was kind of just shoved into that section of the park "just because" and I didn't really feel like it fit in.

Shame though really since Schwarzkopf made the best all around family rides (although this probably wasn't intended to be one).
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post May 3rd, 2012, 5:36 pm

Points on hand: 1,034.00 Points
I liked Wildcat because it was one of those small, derpy rides that I had nothing but fun riding. It's a shame (but not a heartbreak) that it's gone.

And I agree, CKMWM. In the spot it was in, it felt like it was a ride they threw in for a season or two to occupy a recently-cleared 3,000 sq ft space before they made it into something later.

Post May 4th, 2012, 12:03 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Originally posted by AyTrane

Low ridership? That ride always had a line.

Wildcat only has a line because the ride capacity is so low. It can take half an hour or more to get through that line even when it looks short.

Honestly, although I thoroughly enjoy Wildcat, and will miss it, it's a fair removal. The ride capacity is a serious issue, and I heard a lot of guests complain about it during the summer I worked at the ICEE stand right next to it.

Post May 5th, 2012, 3:47 am

Points on hand: 1,598.00 Points
What's with all the wing rider crap? Their really not that special. I wasn't really impressed with Wild Eagle to be honest. And whew, thank goodness wildcat is gone. Hated that thing. Maybe they can do the same to Disaster transport and replace it with a GCI. :D
A man has needs and that needs is booze.

Post May 5th, 2012, 9:27 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
They have enough family coasters already. No GCI needed
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post May 5th, 2012, 10:18 am

Points on hand: 1,589.00 Points
Bank: 1,000.00 Points
Originally posted by bandman232

...they're really not that special...

Post May 5th, 2012, 12:44 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

I am just amazed that one of the largest parks in the country would keep such a waste of space on its active roster for more then three decades only to spite SFMM on a coaster count.

Post May 5th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally posted by dmillz

Originally posted by AJClarke0912

What do CP.

I'm a blogger over at C-net now so I haven't been on here as often, but I was hearing that CP was going to add TWO coasters next year (a Wingrider and a smaller coaster) so to "jump" SFMM if Full Throttle is true to get to 19. With this, they would still get to 18. Thoughts on that?

I mean, it's certainly not confirmed, but it's very like Cedar Point to do such a thing. It'll be a giant advertisement factor; "TWO NEW COASTERS!"

Yes, Jake, I want a wingrider, okay?

Post May 5th, 2012, 11:13 pm

Points on hand: 1,598.00 Points
Like I said, I wasn't impressed by Wild Eagle. a wing rider would be a bit of a waste.
A man has needs and that needs is booze.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions