Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Chicago Ends Handgun Ban

Chicago Ends Handgun Ban

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post June 28th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/28/co ... an/?hpt=T2

Personally I think more people are going to get killed over petty robbery crap so hopefully I'm wrong.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post June 28th, 2010, 8:55 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

i hope this makes even petty robbery alot less lucrative.. i say right on !

Post June 28th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
What, the constitution gives people the right to bear arms!

American Eagle Lover

Post June 29th, 2010, 12:28 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

Post June 29th, 2010, 1:31 am

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Free 9mm handouts at select street corners, this weekend only!

Post June 29th, 2010, 5:16 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

this will end well for everyone concerned and no further problems will arise.

Post June 29th, 2010, 9:22 am

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points

Post June 29th, 2010, 6:55 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by gouldy

this will end well for everyone concerned and no further problems will arise.

That poor police department is already stretched as is.

Post June 29th, 2010, 7:07 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

now they have back up .. and crooks who have been shot already by the time the cops get there are easier to catch

Post June 29th, 2010, 7:12 pm
WES User avatar

Points on hand: 1,732.00 Points
A gun in your hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Post June 29th, 2010, 11:26 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

And the gang of 5 people robbing you have 5 guns anyways....

Post June 30th, 2010, 5:11 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by WES

A gun in your hand is better than a cop on the phone.

If people genuinely only had guns for protection, this would be true. The problem is that the shop keeper or the home owner are not the only ones with the gun.

As the person defending, the gun in your hand is gonna be about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, if the people attacking (who also LEGALLY have guns) come in all guns blazing.

The fact that such a developed country still allows guns to be owned/purchased by almost anyone, is completely beyond me.

Post June 30th, 2010, 3:00 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

What I don't like about this is that Chicago had that handgun ban for a reason. It has the most gang members per capita on the entire continent north of Mexico, and because of this Illinois has to fund the largest jail (not prison) in the United States. The gang issues and the welfare that funds their escalades is a contributing factor to why Illinois has half the debt of California with only 1/3 of the population to support.

This is a complete love disaster where I used to work. It was not a very nice area because I had to pick up a bunch of booze bottles everywhere everyday and had to clean up at least 3 or 4 heroine needles a week. The DEA used to ask me how many needles I was finding a week when they made an arrest to see if it made a dent. It never did.

Yes gangs will get a hold of guns illegally, but unless the damned thing is right next to you and loaded at all times it's useless when they come blazing in (it won't be one person, that would be fighting fair, which is stupid).

The problem I have with most super pro-gun people is that they assume a level of coherence and a basement of intelligence that they assume all people are at, which the gang members are below.

When someone gets robbed, usually 4 or 5 guys pop out and one will ahve an Uzi. You better have at least 20 bucks on you or you get beat the hell up. Once they've taken the money you're instructed to sprint in the other direction that they're in. Now assuming you're violating the ban on open carry at the time and have a gun the moment they see it you're done for. And now since this ban was lifted most likely the other 4 will have a handgun.

The people I really feel bad for are the people in that totally stretched beyond its limits police department who are now at an even smaller disadvantage.

I'm aware that DC's crime rate went down by 25%, but they don't have nearly the amount of "stupid" that Chicago has. That is my argument in summary.

EDIT: DC's lift on the gun ban took place in 2007.

Why are the levels of all crime (except the ones that increased like robbery) extremely similar two years prior BEFORE the ban was lifted? There was not a sudden decrease in crime right at the advent of the gun ban being lifted.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1239 ... D,1556.asp

Yes some numbers went down slightly, but there was clearly a downward trend well before the ban was lifted.

Post June 30th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Originally posted by gouldy
The fact that such a developed country still allows guns to be owned/purchased by almost anyone, is completely beyond me.

A certain event that occurred in 1787 is the reason we still can.

Post June 30th, 2010, 3:57 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

They also decided that black people would count as 3/5 of a person for tax purposes...

Post June 30th, 2010, 4:12 pm
SauronHimself User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 1,641.00 Points
The fact of the matter is that strict gun laws only hurt the law abiding citizens. Criminals will always own guns no matter what the law says. From a statistical probability standpoint, it is far more logical to allow all citizens the ability to own a personal firearm.

Post June 30th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
Yay,nuke the city!No arms,no gangs,no problems!
All RCCAs should be RMC'd. And that event shall be henceforth known as the Rollercaust.

Post June 30th, 2010, 4:33 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

The fact of the matter is that strict gun laws only hurt the law abiding citizens.

Uh, they don't hurt me at all.

Post June 30th, 2010, 4:45 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^^^ No, it's not.

"Everyone can have guns" is just plain stupid. Gun crime will always exist, even in countries where guns are not available to everyone. Guns are only available here to a pretty limited field of people, but people who are determined to do crime using a firearm will be able to get their hands on a gun, somehow. BUT, imagine the kind of person who is perhaps of lower intelligence than the majority of people, they have a gun in their house (even if it is only meant for personal protection), one day, a fight with the wife, blind rage, not necessarily in total control of all their actions... the fact that there is a gun there, it just makes the whole situation far more dangerous than it needs to be. That's just a small example, what CKMWM talks about is the kind of thing that poses the real problems.

But, whatever reasons you want me to throw at it, allowing everyone to own a gun (even if only for self defense) is a bad idea.

Coasterpimp: you meant that in an ironic, sarcastic way... didn't you?

Post June 30th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Post June 30th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Pro gun people have this cowboy mentality where they think they can always save the day in situations that rarely actually happen, or at least play out the way they think they happen. I'd bet the scenario you just mentioned Gouldy happens a hell of a lot more than the "a group of 5 armed men broke into my house to rape and kill my family but my trusty 9 was there to save the day".

Post June 30th, 2010, 4:59 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,873.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Mexico has a gun ban law and look how well that country turne dout to be. Over 22,000 killed the last 4 years from criminals with guns.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post June 30th, 2010, 5:06 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

we're talking about developed countries [lol]

As if laws in Mexico are enforced [:P].

Everyone being allowed to have guns is bad, this sort of shows that that is true (although I understand these are hardly official figures):

In the UK, only a small cross section of the public are allowed firearms and only for very specific reasons and only once certain perameters have been met by the individual. Hence:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_peop ... every_year

In America:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_peop ... _last_year

I would underline: "Death by accidental discharge of firearm: 721"

Because of course, people can be trusted with guns [lol]

.... so, yah.

Post June 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

I'm a bit annoyed that the shining example of how great everyone having guns is that is always stated by everyone around where I live, the Washington DC example, is completely made up.

Post June 30th, 2010, 9:13 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Freddie

Pro gun people have this cowboy mentality where they think they can always save the day in situations that rarely actually happen, or at least play out the way they think they happen.
really?
i've owned guns quite literally my whole life, and recived my very own rifle when i was 11 years old .never once was i taught that we had guns so we could act like cowboys. you could say i'm " pro gun" but that wouldnt be the point. your narrow minded view of "middle america" as a bunch of stupid rednecks is very tired and almost used up, and outgrowable .
for better or for worse that i live in a country who's constitution holds it's citizens to a standard high enough to expect us to be able to own guns and be responsible with them is very important and precious to me. i signed away 6 years of my life in gratitude for such a responsibility. privileged people arent the only people worth a poop in this country.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion