Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Comcast puts limits on bandwidth usage to customer

Comcast puts limits on bandwidth usage to customer

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Points on hand: 5,408.00 Points
Comcast announced yesterday that customers who exceed a 250 GB bandwidth limit twice in six months will have their internet suspended. I don't think that this will affect me, but am worried it might if I decided to get a Nintendo Wii. I live in a family of four, we all use the internet, we have Vonage as our home phone, and to be honest I have never really thought how much bandwidth we use every month, it has never been a problem. Now it seems it could pose a threat of me wanting to get a Nintendo Wii, because of playing Mario Kart online and such. Do you think this will affect myself or other customers?

Read the full topic here.

http://tinyurl.com/6dcpsa
-Ryan

Post September 2nd, 2008, 9:52 pm

Points on hand: 1,541.00 Points
does this mean im screwed if i play xbox live alot?

Post September 2nd, 2008, 10:11 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

dudes, 250 GB is a CRAPLOAD of data. There is no way you could use that all up just by using xbox live or a Wii.

If all you are doing is browsing the internet, using msn/aim/whatever, downloading the odd movie and music, you probably never even come close to downloading 250gb worth of data in a month. Just check the size of the hard drive in your computer and how full it is. Do you fill that up everymonth?

This type of restriction is aimed at the people that share the movies and music that they download. The people that constantly have downloads and uploads going.

Post September 2nd, 2008, 10:27 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

^In particular, it's aimed at people who use bittorrents.

Although I don't like the idea of an [my] ISP interfering with its users' [my] usage, I do like the idea of limiting heavy bandwidth usage. Why should we all suffer a slower network just so Captain Jack can keep bootlegging?

One could argue that the ISPs in this country are at fault for not keeping their infrastructure on par with the rest of the world, but unless anyone can force them to stop being business people and starting being ISPs, that's useless.

Post September 2nd, 2008, 10:58 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I agree, 250 GB is a lot to use in a month. That's like filling two of my hard drives full of downloaded stuff in one month.

Post September 3rd, 2008, 5:53 pm

Points on hand: 1,541.00 Points

Post September 4th, 2008, 4:08 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by tiepilot35

I agree, 250 GB is a lot to use in a month. That's like filling two of my hard drives full of downloaded stuff in one month.

250gb is 1/4th of my HD. And that's a crapload of data! I don't think you'd have to worry about getting shut down. I doubt you'd download and watch over 200 movies every month [lol]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post October 13th, 2008, 10:29 am

Post October 13th, 2008, 10:43 am

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Post October 13th, 2008, 11:12 am

Post October 13th, 2008, 12:30 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

60 GB? Change ISP!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post October 14th, 2008, 7:31 pm

Well, I can't really complain when my internet is free. [lol]

But even if I was paying, there arn't many good alternatives to Rogers up here. You either get raped in the anus by one company or another. Same sh!t different pile.

Post October 14th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Post October 14th, 2008, 8:26 pm
A7 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 153.00 Points
Wow, my family use to use Cox until we moved.. The only Internet available - seriously no one else to choose from - is some generic company which had to install a huge dish on top of my house. Its costs more than double of what Cox charged and the max speed is only 10Mbps which they advertised as 'High Speed'. On top of that, they limit the bandwidth as well to 80gb a month. There are 6 people in my house that use the Internet and we go over the limit every month. Its expensive, but we don't really have a choice!

Return to Off Topic Discussion