Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Do You Have An Old Nokia 1100 Series Phone?

Do You Have An Old Nokia 1100 Series Phone?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,873.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

If you, you might be sitting on a gold mine and not know it. Read this article published on PCWorld.com
-----------------------------------------
The mystery why cybercriminals want a discontinued Nokia phone isn't getting any clearer.

Hackers have been offering up to ?????????25,000 (US$32,413) in undergrounds forums for Nokia 1100 phones made in the company's former factory in Bochum, Germany. The phone can allegedly be hacked so as to facilitate illegal online banking transfers, according to the Dutch company Ultrascan Advanced Global Investigations.

Nokia said on Tuesday it is not aware that resale prices for a phone that retailed for less than ?????????100 when it debuted in 2003 have risen so high. Further, Nokia maintains the phone's software isn't flawed.

"We have not identified any phone software problem that would allow alleged use cases," the company said in an e-mailed statement.

The 1100 can apparently be reprogrammed to use someone else's phone number, which would also let the device receive text messages. That capability opens up an opportunity for online banking fraud.

In countries such as Germany, banks send an mTAN (mobile Transaction Authentication Number) to a person's mobile phone that must be entered into a Web-based form in order to, for example, transfer money into another account. A TAN can only be used once, a security feature known as a one-time passcode.

Criminals have proven adept at obtaining peoples' user names and logins for online bank accounts, either through tricking people into visiting look-alike bank Web sites, through clever e-mail messages or simply hacking PCs.

European banks typically issue customers a list of TANs, but phishers tricked people into revealing those. Deutsche Postbank used to accept any TAN from the list to complete a transaction. Then the bank moved to requesting specific TANs from the list. After continuing fraud, it in 2005 decided to expanded the use of mTANs.

"The mTAN is valid only for the requested transfer and only for a short period," according to the bank's Web site. "It thus has no value for a fraudster."

That is, unless the hacker could also receive the mTAN, which Nokia 1100 hack allegedly allows.

Nokia said it doesn't know of an 1100 software problem that would allow call spoofing. The company said that a phone's SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card -- which holds the device's phone number -- has security mechanisms that are separate from the phone itself.

Nokia said it is aware of commercial services that claim to provide caller identification or phone-number spoofing services, but in those cases the service provider acts as a proxy between the caller and the recipient, Nokia said.

But it is possible to have multiple phones running on a service provider's network that use the same phone number, said Sean Sullivan, a security advisor with the security vendor F-Secure in Finland. Usually, the last phone that used the network will be the one that receives inbound messages, he said.

"So if this particular Nokia 1100 can be modified to spoof the victims phone number, it should be possible to become the primary handset -- at least long enough to receive the TAN," Smith said.

Technical details on how the 1100 is being modified are still unknown, said Frank Engelsman of Ultrascan. However, a woman in Finland contacted his company on Monday after seeing a news story and offered to send her Bochum-made Nokia 1100. When it arrives, the phone will be examined and tested to see if the TAN interception can be replicated, Engelsman said.

Meanwhile, a Dutch technology site, portablegear.nl, wrote that it placed a fake advertisement for the particular Nokia 1100 on an online marketplace. People offered as much as ?????????500, offering to immediately come pick up the device.

Nokia produced more than 200 million devices in the 1100 model family. The company said it doesn't disclosure figures such as how many 1100s were made in Bochum
--------------------------------------------

Anyone wants to donate their old Nokia 1100 to me, I will gladly take it [lol]
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post April 22nd, 2009, 4:57 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

[:O]man, i need to find a nokia 1100. alls i got is my stupid 6085 [flush]

Post April 22nd, 2009, 5:13 pm

Points on hand: 3,207.00 Points

Post April 22nd, 2009, 5:52 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Funny how the person who posted that auction has 0 feedback. I doubt he'll get someone to bid on it. Most likely it's a scammer trying to scam the hackers. All is fair in the game of scams [lol]
Paradox wrote:

Post April 22nd, 2009, 5:53 pm

Post April 22nd, 2009, 7:40 pm

Points on hand: 1,944.00 Points

Post April 22nd, 2009, 7:44 pm

Points on hand: 1,944.00 Points

she bought it like this...

Image Insert:
458.62 KB

Post April 22nd, 2009, 8:07 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
^

1. No one cares how it looked when your grandmother bought it.
2. Use the edit button or else you might have something re-set....again.

On topic, I think I have something like that somewhere, dont use it anymore. Maybe I should. lol

Post April 22nd, 2009, 8:30 pm

Points on hand: 120.00 Points
omg..thats my moms old phone lol does this mean i can get all that money?!

Post April 22nd, 2009, 8:31 pm

you should. think about the money! [approve]

if you dont, well [stoning]

Post April 27th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Points on hand: 1,207.00 Points

Post May 12th, 2009, 9:58 am

Points on hand: 1,301.00 Points
Originally posted by Oscar

If you, you might be sitting on a gold mine and not know it. Read this article published on PCWorld.com
-----------------------------------------
The mystery why cybercriminals want a discontinued Nokia phone isn't getting any clearer.

Hackers have been offering up to ?????????25,000 (US$32,413) in undergrounds forums for Nokia 1100 phones made in the company's former factory in Bochum, Germany. The phone can allegedly be hacked so as to facilitate illegal online banking transfers, according to the Dutch company Ultrascan Advanced Global Investigations.

Nokia said on Tuesday it is not aware that resale prices for a phone that retailed for less than ?????????100 when it debuted in 2003 have risen so high. Further, Nokia maintains the phone's software isn't flawed.

"We have not identified any phone software problem that would allow alleged use cases," the company said in an e-mailed statement.

The 1100 can apparently be reprogrammed to use someone else's phone number, which would also let the device receive text messages. That capability opens up an opportunity for online banking fraud.

In countries such as Germany, banks send an mTAN (mobile Transaction Authentication Number) to a person's mobile phone that must be entered into a Web-based form in order to, for example, transfer money into another account. A TAN can only be used once, a security feature known as a one-time passcode.

Criminals have proven adept at obtaining peoples' user names and logins for online bank accounts, either through tricking people into visiting look-alike bank Web sites, through clever e-mail messages or simply hacking PCs.

European banks typically issue customers a list of TANs, but phishers tricked people into revealing those. Deutsche Postbank used to accept any TAN from the list to complete a transaction. Then the bank moved to requesting specific TANs from the list. After continuing fraud, it in 2005 decided to expanded the use of mTANs.

"The mTAN is valid only for the requested transfer and only for a short period," according to the bank's Web site. "It thus has no value for a fraudster."

That is, unless the hacker could also receive the mTAN, which Nokia 1100 hack allegedly allows.

Nokia said it doesn't know of an 1100 software problem that would allow call spoofing. The company said that a phone's SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card -- which holds the device's phone number -- has security mechanisms that are separate from the phone itself.

Nokia said it is aware of commercial services that claim to provide caller identification or phone-number spoofing services, but in those cases the service provider acts as a proxy between the caller and the recipient, Nokia said.

But it is possible to have multiple phones running on a service provider's network that use the same phone number, said Sean Sullivan, a security advisor with the security vendor F-Secure in Finland. Usually, the last phone that used the network will be the one that receives inbound messages, he said.

"So if this particular Nokia 1100 can be modified to spoof the victims phone number, it should be possible to become the primary handset -- at least long enough to receive the TAN," Smith said.

Technical details on how the 1100 is being modified are still unknown, said Frank Engelsman of Ultrascan. However, a woman in Finland contacted his company on Monday after seeing a news story and offered to send her Bochum-made Nokia 1100. When it arrives, the phone will be examined and tested to see if the TAN interception can be replicated, Engelsman said.

Meanwhile, a Dutch technology site, portablegear.nl, wrote that it placed a fake advertisement for the particular Nokia 1100 on an online marketplace. People offered as much as ?????????500, offering to immediately come pick up the device.

Nokia produced more than 200 million devices in the 1100 model family. The company said it doesn't disclosure figures such as how many 1100s were made in Bochum
--------------------------------------------

Anyone wants to donate their old Nokia 1100 to me, I will gladly take it [lol]

i am having 1 piece of nokia 1100 made in germany plz provide me the best price
of what you can give the i can give the photo also to the serious
buyers my email id is sufiyanrajwani @ gmail . com, +919998152560

Post May 12th, 2009, 5:17 pm

Points on hand: 3,207.00 Points

^I don't think you'll find many hackers on this site....you could have tried CS with its notorious Q hackers [lol] but it's down...

Post May 12th, 2009, 6:27 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by sufiyanrajwani

i am having 1 piece of nokia 1100 made in germany plz provide me the best price
of what you can give the i can give the photo also to the serious
buyers my email id is sufiyanrajwani@gmail.com , +919998152560

1 dollarcent... Oh and let me remove the spaces in your e-mail. So you'd get some spam in the mailbox. xD

Google his phone number. You'd even find an exact adress from that dude. Let's all robb the place! [lol]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 24th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Points on hand: 1,051.00 Points
i have 1 nokia1100 since 2003 and 3 since 2004 who like by theme contact me on : "armine70@hotmail.com

Post March 24th, 2010, 5:12 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

haha! I'll give you $1 for them, you pay shipping!
Paradox wrote:

Post March 24th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Yay!

Image Insert:
510.45 KB
American Eagle Lover

Post March 24th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
^Win
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy:
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post July 1st, 2013, 11:38 pm

Points on hand: 303.00 Points
I have a Nokia 1100 Mobile Phone.I am using it for the past six years.I bought this phone locked with Australia Vodafone network.I searched through online to unlock my phone.I found the unlock code at free of cost from the site [URL Edited Out And User Banned For Spam] and unlocked my phone.After unlocking it,I used freely any GSM network SIM card.

Post July 3rd, 2013, 12:19 am

Points on hand: 235.00 Points
What's happening to this thread? I'm not sure if they're trolling or spam bots or whatever they are?!
You expecting something not being here?

Post July 3rd, 2013, 10:48 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

human spam bot
Paradox wrote:

Return to Off Topic Discussion