Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Do you like Firefox?

Do you like Firefox?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Do you like Firefox?

Yes
60%
No/I use a different browser
28%
What on Earth is Firefox?
12%

Total votes : 25

Post June 23rd, 2005, 5:43 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

I've been using Firefox for about 6 months now. When I first started using it, it seemed to be an improvement over IE. However, lately I have been noticing a crapload of little problems with it that IE does so much better.
For example, the download system is crappy, my bookmarks disapear once a month, Firefox takes forever to load compared to IE, adress bar doesn't refresh/update when you visit previously viewed sites...etc [:(!]
The one thing that I do like is the tab browsing feature. I'm hoping the next release of IE will have that feature.
I'm thinking about switching back to IE.

So, the question is, do you like Firefox?

Post June 23rd, 2005, 5:54 pm
rob User avatar

Points on hand: 3,083.00 Points
Well i have never tried firefox but I have AOL dialup so it has to be an improvment from AOL...[xx(]

Would you recommend it over AOL?

Post June 23rd, 2005, 6:01 pm

Post June 23rd, 2005, 6:29 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Lol very true. Firefox just never worked for me, something about it I never liked. Plus, Apple has it's on webrowser, Safari, which is awesome and better than IE or FF.

Post June 23rd, 2005, 7:00 pm

Points on hand: 4,164.00 Points
FN: I've never seen any of the issues you've seen with the address bar, losing bookmarks, etc, and I've been using Firefox since before it was called Firefox.

Post June 23rd, 2005, 7:06 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
My opinion is that I'm on the fence. I've also been using firefox for a few months, and haven't really had any bad experiences like what you mentioned. Is it better than IE? IMHO, no...but it's not worse than IE either. They both seem about the same quality, IMHO. I kind of get the feeling that many people who say that Firefox is so much better than IE simply has some sort of grudge against Big Bad Microsoft.

Post June 23rd, 2005, 8:55 pm

No, they just don't like a browser that can cause them to get viruses/install spyware/etc just by visiting a web page.

Post June 23rd, 2005, 9:08 pm

Points on hand: 2,861.00 Points
Originally posted by Tyler

No, they just don't like a browser that can cause them to get viruses/install spyware/etc just by visiting a web page.

Like you can not get that with Firefox? IE works fine and if you adjust the settings, you can keep a lot of garbage off your 'puter. Both are about the same and have their quirks, pros and cons.

This is like the "I use an apple and it is so much better than a PC" issue.

Post June 23rd, 2005, 9:11 pm

No, Firefox doesn't. It doesn't allow remote sites to install anything as a rule.

Post June 23rd, 2005, 9:33 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
Well I hated it at first, But now Ive gotten used to it. I like the tab system at the top. I also like that its got less ads, But on the downside it runs a little slower than IE and the download method is wierd.

Post June 23rd, 2005, 10:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

I like IE's download system, but I prefer Firefox overall. I don't find it much better than IE, but it does load webpages faster which is definitely a plus. I find IE to be more consistent though... if Firefox gets slow for some reason, IE will usually load pages faster.

Post June 24th, 2005, 4:49 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

I prefer Ie, since Firefox takes up a load of memory, takes a while to load too.

Post June 24th, 2005, 5:51 am

Points on hand: 2,137.00 Points
I'm a die-hard Firefox supporter!
Firefox is MUCH safer than IE!
If they find a leak, a new version is ready for download.
IE never updates!
And what about al the themes and extensions, you don't have those with IE

and yes, IE 7 will have tabbed browsing, ripped from firefox offcourse!

Post June 24th, 2005, 6:44 am

Points on hand: 2,861.00 Points
IE is updated as part of windows updates (usually security bugs and fixes)as is Outlook Express, Messenger, and Media Player. Those are all well integrated sub-programs of Windows.

I understand that Firefox does not allow the installation of 3rd Party Plugins/ActiveX cControls and other sneaky ways that malicious people use to get spyware/adware through to your computer by DEFAULT. IE has the same capability, just not by default. After XP SP2, it got even better at it. So Both can do the same stuff (IE I think has a bit more control than firefox) so why is Firefox better? I guess if you are a nimrod and do not know how to custimize a few options, firefox is definately for you.

Oh, and I do not use anti-virus software on any of the computers in the house (there are six) and we have been virus free for a long time. We still get some adware/spyware, espescially me because of some of the sites I visit from time to time... one wrong click and you just screw yourself. But I know how to remove it (even without ADaware which can miss quite a bit).

IE, Opera, Firefox, Netscape... They are all on my server and I use for testing, but I still prefer IE and think it works the best. Firefox is good, and better than the remaining two, but I think it has a long way to go before I use it over IE.

Post June 24th, 2005, 7:09 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
I'm using IE cos it comes with windows, and it's cooperating well with other apps.

Post June 24th, 2005, 7:21 am

Points on hand: 77.00 Points
Got IE and FF and they both work well.

Got no problems with one of them.

Post June 24th, 2005, 8:58 am

Points on hand: 3,741.00 Points
I've run FF for a long time, and I'll probably never go back to IE. With a little bit of tweaking it runs much faster, and there are tons of nice add-ons that you can use to make it even better...

Post June 24th, 2005, 9:39 am

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
I've been using firefox a pretty long time, and I realy like ut. But the bookmarks wanished once for me too. Anyways its bether than any other browser I've tried, maybe except Opera. IE is just crap, even when it get tabbed browsing with the next update. I didn't realy like Safari either, so I just stick with firefox. (or Opera)

Post June 24th, 2005, 10:07 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by torch511

IE is updated as part of windows updates (usually security bugs and fixes)as is Outlook Express, Messenger, and Media Player. Those are all well integrated sub-programs of Windows.

I understand that Firefox does not allow the installation of 3rd Party Plugins/ActiveX cControls and other sneaky ways that malicious people use to get spyware/adware through to your computer by DEFAULT. IE has the same capability, just not by default. After XP SP2, it got even better at it. So Both can do the same stuff (IE I think has a bit more control than firefox) so why is Firefox better? I guess if you are a nimrod and do not know how to custimize a few options, firefox is definately for you.

Oh, and I do not use anti-virus software on any of the computers in the house (there are six) and we have been virus free for a long time. We still get some adware/spyware, espescially me because of some of the sites I visit from time to time... one wrong click and you just screw yourself. But I know how to remove it (even without ADaware which can miss quite a bit).

IE, Opera, Firefox, Netscape... They are all on my server and I use for testing, but I still prefer IE and think it works the best. Firefox is good, and better than the remaining two, but I think it has a long way to go before I use it over IE.

Have to agree with Torch. If you hate IE its most likly because you hold some fanciful grudge against microsoft in an attempt to seperate yourself from everyone else.

I used FF and frankly, for me its better. I HATE tabbed browsing, would still rather use windows. As for my parents however, they get FF because it does what they need minus the features of IE. Plus the whole installation thing, they are nimrods so it works.

Post June 24th, 2005, 10:15 am

Points on hand: 3,246.00 Points

IE had a weird problem. When I tried to open another window with a link, the window would freeze. I was forced to switched. I've gotten used to it but some pages don't work as well as IE would show it.

Post June 24th, 2005, 10:41 am

Points on hand: 2,137.00 Points
Originally posted by pcwfreak

I've gotten used to it but some pages don't work as well as IE would show it.

That's becasue IE also show crappy or incorrect codes, like wrong CSS-styles or amateurish javascripts...

Post June 24th, 2005, 11:10 am

Points on hand: 70.00 Points

I use Firefox also. IE is just crap in my eyes :(

I find working with FF a lot better then working with IE.

The problems FN describes in the begin of this thread; I don't have them :)

Post June 24th, 2005, 11:24 am

Post June 24th, 2005, 12:14 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
I like Firefox better IMO, because it is convienent for my personal tastes, but FN I have never had any problems with Firefox, maybe re-install it?

Post June 24th, 2005, 3:35 pm

I have, twice. And the next time I do it it will just be an uninstall. [:)]

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion