Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Does anybody work at a theme park or ever have?

Does anybody work at a theme park or ever have?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points

If so tell us about the best thing you got to do.

(I want to work at Carowinds wile in High School then get a job as a roller coaster designer)
"If looks could kill I'd be a dead man."

Post June 11th, 2004, 12:26 am

Points on hand: 3,103.00 Points

I worked at Geauga Lake back when the corkscrew was still around, in Aurora, Ohio for a summer. I never graduated from operating anything outside of the kiddie park though. Oh well, it was a cool atmoshpere. Sorry I'm the only one who's replied so far, and it's not that exciting.

Post June 11th, 2004, 10:35 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

I bet everyone here wants be a coaster designer. None of us will probably will get the job as its very hard to get into.

Post June 11th, 2004, 2:16 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Originally posted by Matt

I bet everyone here wants be a coaster designer. None of us will probably will get the job as its very hard to get into.

YOu can always try, and even if you get all the degrees, and education, and you don't design coasters, well theres about a billion other engineering jobs you can get with those degrees [8D], that's the good part on being a failed Coaster Designer and having all the crap, of coarse there is a third option, start you own independant company, even though nobody would really buy from you.
I wanna get a job as a ride op next summer at Knott's, but I'm either gonna have to get a fake ID, or bribe the people in charge [8D], (they only let highschool graduates 17/18+ work on rides, but I wanna strap people in, it seems like such an easy job, making sure that people don't fly out of the ride, and making sure people are tall enough to ride, or small enough in some cases, but who knows, I'll see next year.

Post June 12th, 2004, 2:11 am

Points on hand: 2,690.00 Points
96 & 97, CP, mainly on Blue Streak.
97 & 98, USF, Back to the Future
98 - 00, IOA, Dueling Dragons
2000, SeaWorld Orlando, Kraken.

Best thing I got to do... Easy! Meet the B&M guys [lol]

Post June 12th, 2004, 7:44 am

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

Post June 18th, 2004, 1:47 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by DragonsIOA

96 & 97, CP, mainly on Blue Streak.
97 & 98, USF, Back to the Future
98 - 00, IOA, Dueling Dragons
2000, SeaWorld Orlando, Kraken.

Best thing I got to do... Easy! Meet the B&M guys [lol]

Yeah, and also, how did you meet them?

Post June 19th, 2004, 3:32 am

They said hello basically, then we talked about some tech stuff regarding the ride. I met them when I worked at IOA on Dueling Dragons (and every other ride) during construction and testing.

Post June 19th, 2004, 4:02 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

They said hello basically, then we talked about some tech stuff regarding the ride. I met them when I worked at IOA on Dueling Dragons (and every other ride) during construction and testing.

So all you said was hi!?!?, and that was it, I would have pestered them or sumthing. Is that really all you did?

Post June 19th, 2004, 4:06 pm

Points on hand: 5,120.00 Points

Post June 19th, 2004, 4:54 pm

Originally posted by thecool326

So all you said was hi!?!?, and that was it, I would have pestered them or sumthing. Is that really all you did?

I said more than Hi. But at Universal, if you pester VIPs, you won't have a job for long [:)] So I kept my questions to the reason they were there for, and nothing else.

Post June 20th, 2004, 9:36 am

Why at most American parks do you only get to work on one ride?

Post June 20th, 2004, 10:10 am

i dont. i work at "gotham city" which has batman the ride, east river crawler, and whirligig. but batman needs most staffing (others require just 1) so the chances are greater of being on batman than any others.

Post June 20th, 2004, 11:06 am

But like DragonsIOA worked on the specific rides, or like a disney employee etc.

Post June 20th, 2004, 12:28 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

I am currently working at Cedar Point. You can find me working at a food stand called "Bayou Refreshments", which is in the very front of the park. I am getting a transfer to be a Ride Op, but if anyone is gonna be at Cedar Point in the next 2 days, come over at noon and look for "Charlie". The coolest thing I have gotten to do so far was to binge-ride Millennium Force 7 times in a row at night. However, because of working at Cedar Point, which has no internet access in the dorm rooms (I'm in the rec center on a $.10/min line right now), I will be cut off from this site all summer, until August 15. All promises of coasters and medal stuff is on hold until then. I'll still pop on and off the forums occasionally, though, so I'll see you all again soon. Have a nice summer, and come on over to Cedar Point if you can. [;)]

Post June 20th, 2004, 5:58 pm

Post June 21st, 2004, 12:13 am

Originally posted by dragon2000

It really depends on the park, and the ride. If you're working on flat rides, you may end up working on a bunch of them. But if you're working on a ride like dragons, or bttf, there are so many different positions to learn that it is easier to have a dedicated crew. To give you some idea, when dragons first opened, we had a staff of 120 (both full and part time), and during peak times it was common to have 30-35 people on the clock at once. Personally, I think having the ride ops work different rides on occasion is a good idea since I've seen way too many accidents happen due to employees becoming burnt out, etc. As a Lead, I never had to worry about that since I was constantly on the go dealing with short kids, downtime, and so on.

Post June 21st, 2004, 2:00 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Coasterkat

(I want to work at Carowinds wile in High School then get a job as a roller coaster designer)

same for me but it doesn't matter what park [:P] i guess i have plenty experience of g-forces and speed and fun [:D]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post June 21st, 2004, 8:36 am

Originally posted by dragon2000

I was constantly on the go dealing with short kids, downtime, and so on.

Yeah, im no lead, but yeah, so true about them. I had a aprent life their kid (about 42" or whatever 54"-kneeheight is) into the batman restraint thinkng he was tall enough. Alot of stories to tell, lol.

Post June 21st, 2004, 11:14 am

Ah! Dont you just hate those small children who hold up the ride!
I suppose we were like that at one time though, they could be future ride-enthusiasts - cool.

Post June 21st, 2004, 9:36 pm

I always felt bad for the kids, but some of the parents would really irritate me. I can't believe how many parents don't give a crap about the safety of thier kids. And don't get me started on parents that force the kid kicking and screaming onto the ride. All that is going to do is make them never want to ride a coaster again. There sure are a lot of stories to tell [:)]

Post June 21st, 2004, 10:44 pm

lol. i worked from 4:00pm-4:15pm and then got sent home, too many workers, not enough people.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions