Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Lightning Rod: Launched RMC Coming to Dollywood!

Lightning Rod: Launched RMC Coming to Dollywood!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
Not at all surprising that Lightning Rod is delayed given it has been testing for less than a week at this point. I think there is a possibility it could be ready the following weekend, but I'm guessing first weekend in April is more likely. Just another reminder that if you need to travel a significant distance never make plans until well after an attraction is supposed to open.

Anyway, the ride looks excellent based on that video. While I'm still not sure of my plans for this year, I really hope that I'll be able to make it to Dollywood this summer and give the ride a try.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
If it means anything, I found this itinerary on Dollywood's website for Thrills in the Hills, a coaster enthusiast event on April 8th and 9th. There is Lightning Rod ERT listed on the itinerary, so I'd imagine it will be open by then.

http://dw.dollywood.com/dwpages/Pdf/TITH-Itenerary.pdf

XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
VF15 wrote:
If it means anything, I found this itinerary on Dollywood's website for Thrills in the Hills, a coaster enthusiast event on April 8th and 9th. There is Lightning Rod ERT listed on the itinerary, so I'd imagine it will be open by then.

http://dw.dollywood.com/dwpages/Pdf/TITH-Itenerary.pdf

Well, there is a Coaster Crew event happening in 4 days with Lightning Rod ERT.
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

Was listed haha

But seriously it's a bummer. Obviously necessary, but still a bummer. Glad I didn't sign up for the trip.
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Why would they plan a trip for the opening weekend of an RMC lol. I don't know the details but I believe Goliath was delayed...two months? And it was a normal chain lift.

I'll wait a few months until she breaks in, operations are consistent with minimal down time, and the various big groups have their media ways with it.
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

I'm hearing that Dollywood had scheduled their Lightning Rod media day for Thursday next week :).

Things about coasters won't get worse! Yay for the officially proven date! :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

According to @itsdannyrobbins on Instagram, Lightning Rod will not be opening this week :(.

Points on hand: 3,410.00 Points

All we can do is to wish for that ride to open! :)

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

RMC???S STATEMENT ON THE DELAYED OPENING OF LIGHTNING ROD ROLLER COASTER AT DOLLYWOOD THEME PARK
HAYDEN, Idaho ??? Rocky Mountain Construction co-owner Fred Grubb has released the following statement on the recently announced delay to the opening of Lightning Rod at Dollywood Theme Park in Pigeon Forge, TN:

???We take the highest level of pride in every attraction we create. RMC is equally disappointed that Lightning Rod will not be opening as originally planned. We have been working with the launch system subcontractor on-site to bring it up to speed and working as intended.

As is often the case with prototype attractions and especially with launched coasters, delays are an ever-present possibility. During the course of testing, we determined that the third-party launch system would not be able to perform at the level required for proper operation.

While we strive to meet all of our deadlines, we cannot and will not sacrifice safety or ride quality in the name of saving time. RMC never has nor ever will open any new attraction until it has passed our rigorous standards.

At this time, we cannot speculate as to when the attraction will open to the general public. That date is ultimately decided upon by the customer, therefore all questions regarding an opening should be directed to Dollywood.

On behalf of all the employees at Rocky Mountain Construction, I want to personally thank the management team at Dollywood, the fans of the park as well as our fans for their patience and understanding as we work to bring you Lightning Rod.???

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
"Not be able to perform at the level".

Hope they accounted for the hogs that live in that region.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

I wonder if it's not launching off the crest of the lift as fast as they wanted. That would make for a marginally more dull ride experience. They did say "we cannot and will not sacrifice safety or ride quality".
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

True Addicts
True Addicts

tiepilot35 wrote:
I wonder if it's not launching off the crest of the lift as fast as they wanted. That would make for a marginally more dull ride experience. They did say "we cannot and will not sacrifice safety or ride quality".

That's why the lifts on their rides crawl over the lift crest and practically stop sometimes and other times don't and head over at normal speed other times right?

I'm going to venture a guess with no evidence whatsoever that the ride computer is going full IntaShit and isn't communicating with the launch system in some way.

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,619.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

True Addicts
True Addicts

Oh that's pretty

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Isn't that the same video the park posted on their Facebook a while back with the announcement that the ride will be delayed?
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 3,410.00 Points
The shaping on the first... 'overbanked' turn looks kind of weird... Still will be a great ride.

Imagine the Outlaw Run's "Sidewall" Turn before the heartline rolls! This is also epic! :)

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,111.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Looks quick! I imagine the first overbank is more of a lateral airtime hill...?
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

USA Today is reporting that Dollywood is hoping to have Lightning Rod open by the end of the month.

Dollywood planned to debut the coaster in late March soon after the park opened for the 2016 season. As one of the most anticipated thrill rides of the year, I made my way to the foothills of the Smoky Mountains hoping to give Lightning Rod a whirl. Unfortunately, the prototype ride developed some snafus with its launch system and was not operating during my visit. The park is hoping to open the coaster by late April.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/ex ... /82717528/

It's not exactly intended to be an overbank, persay. They're calling it a Wave Turn. I really like it and RMC is just the company to pull something like that off. I think it's going to be such a bizarre element, force-wise. I'm surprised to hear that they'll have it running by the end of April... The first test was near the end of March, I can't believe the launch system has so many issues that it's going to take a month or more to correct. Maybe they're just over-predicting how long it will take and actually hoping to open it mid-April.

tiepilot35 wrote:
It's not exactly intended to be an overbank, persay. They're calling it a Wave Turn. I really like it and RMC is just the company to pull something like that off. I think it's going to be such a bizarre element, force-wise.

Thanks for the clear definition! Now I know what exactly the Wave Turn is. I knew that element would be placed for a Chinese Launch as well.

:D

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!