Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Favorite band

Favorite band

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post April 12th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Points on hand: 3,853.00 Points
-Barathrum
-Impaled Nazarene
-Soilwork
-Killswitch Engage
-Children of Bodom
-Slayer
-MISFITS ALL THE WAY!
-W.A.S.P.
-Dark Tranquillity

I haven't heard too much diffrent bands yet but I like especially Death- and Blackmetal.

Post April 12th, 2006, 3:47 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

explain " emo" .. in the late 1990's i started hearing that term in reference to bands like built to spill and modest mouse. bands here like gogogo airheart and illya were also lumped into this catergory. as far as ai can tell it seems to apply to more art style rock.. not as "technicaly " demanding as speed metal, but more "intelligent". like does it mean for people who read literature and appreciate art as opposed to violence and gore, and whats with these guys making themselves up to look like gothic chicks? do they wear all that make up to prove that they're not faggots?... is my music "emo"...??? http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... 16d83f069b[dunno][dunno][lol][lol][lol][lol]

Post April 12th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Points on hand: 89.00 Points
Guns N' Roses when they rocked, the new stuff sounds like s**t. Metallica, Disturbed, and anything from the 80's hair!!!! Music was fun back then, not this depressing world peril kinda crap that comes out nowadays, and damn Seattle for ruining that!!!!!
Welcome to Wal Mart, Get your SH*T! and get out!!!

Post April 12th, 2006, 4:10 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

FYI, the lead singer of Arch Enemy is a chick... [lol]

http://www.radarbooking.no/artistphotos ... mywwf2.jpg

http://us.ent2.yimg.com/musicfinder.yah ... nemy_a.jpg

[;)]

"Emo" - the art of seeking attention by pretending to be emotion all of the time and looking gay (if you are male)

Post April 12th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Points on hand: 1,489.00 Points
metallica, nirvana, guns 'n roses, rammstein.. GD is ok i guess

Post April 12th, 2006, 4:24 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

I'm thinking of seeing Arch Enemy next week gouldy, they're touring with Chimaira and God Forbid. Only problem is that its a wednesday night. BTW I definatly agree with you, Death Metal is some really technical stuff when it's done right, and its really fun to play. I've been playing a lot of Lamb of God and Devildriver stuff lately which is a lot of fun and hard to play.

As for my favorite band right now, it's probably Lamb of God or In Flames.

Post April 12th, 2006, 4:29 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

Favorite band?

Either...wow...Butthole Surfers, or Primus.

Post April 12th, 2006, 4:32 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

korn is emo? they look gay, and anger is an emotion...

Post April 12th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

My fave band at the moment, has to be the JV Allstars! They are great!
http://www.purevolume.com/thejvallstars
I could listen to them forever! They are great! Great! GREAT! [:D]

I also love Hawthorne heights (i know, slightly weird, but i just like them), underoath, and i do love PANIC! at the disco, BUT i liked them before everyone else here thankyou very much! [lol] They were my favourite band until everyone started loving them, but now they are over played [:(] I also like Hellogoodbye alot, and Atreyu. I didnt like Atreyu at first, but once i actually listened properly i got hooked. [:D] But yes, my fave band at the moment are the JV allstars just because they sing my fave song [:D] And because they are great. And because all their songs rules. And because they kick ass [:D]

Post April 12th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

Originally posted by jayman

korn is emo? they look gay, and anger is an emotion...

my god...new KoRn sucks mega balls. I only ever liked KoRn, Life is Peachy, and Follow the Leader. Issues was OK, then it just shot straight to hell.

oh, and Jayman. Emo today = people who like anything on MTV. which is sad, since to me that means the death of an already sucky culture. as for people who like Modest Mouse and other Indie bands are called...Indie rockers.

Post April 12th, 2006, 4:47 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

yeah, i fix guitars on saturday afternoon. the shop is in el cajon , so i have to fix ALOT of ibanez and those horriffic b.c. rich guitars that look like something from a d and d fantasy, with those retarded fine tuners. everyonce in awhile some maggot tweaker comes in and they gravitate towards the guitar with the most sharp edges...oh and korn has ALWAYS made me want to vomit, like music for angry adolescents from tweaked out country towns ...

Post April 12th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

it is clearly the most technically demanding and most difficult style of music to play even at a basic level.

Not at all, Classical is the hardest music to play

As for Seattle bringing in crappy depressing music. I would have to half disagree. Nirvana plain suck and i'll give you that, and some of Alice In Chains songs are pretty depressing, but the same can not be said for Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Pearl Jam don't really have any depressing music, they plain rule. Plus there isn't a whole lot of difference from your 80's metal to grunge music. Jerry Cantrells style of guitar is very 80s metal indeed if not so more metal than most of the bands of that era.

Post April 12th, 2006, 7:13 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points

Post April 12th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,415.00 Points

I like Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Disturbed, and many others.

My real favorite music genre is jazz, but because it is so unpopular I'm not going to start listing favorites.

Post April 12th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
uhhh, Youve got the words Morbid, Corpse, Disturbed, Cannibal, and Remains. All in the names of only 5 bands.... No offense but thats F'd

Post April 12th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Thats metal for you, I kinda like Cannibal Corpse actually, havn't heard their new cd though. [lol] This reminds me of a good Mitch Hedberg joke.

"A Lot of Death Metal bands have intense names like Rigor Mortis or Mortuary or Obituary. We weren't that intense. We just went with "Injured." And later we changed it to "A Cappella"... as we were walkin' out of the pawn shop."

Post April 12th, 2006, 10:27 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Originally posted by guitarplayer673

I'm thinking of seeing Arch Enemy next week gouldy, they're touring with Chimaira and God Forbid. Only problem is that its a wednesday night. BTW I definatly agree with you, Death Metal is some really technical stuff when it's done right, and its really fun to play. I've been playing a lot of Lamb of God and Devildriver stuff lately which is a lot of fun and hard to play.

As for my favorite band right now, it's probably Lamb of God or In Flames.

Too bad none of those bands are even close to death metal. If you want to hear some true brutal death metal that will rip your face off, listen to bands like Prostitute Disfigurement, Vital Remains, and Exhumed. Kiddy metalcore bullshit like Chimaira and God Forbid are an insult to true metal.

Post April 12th, 2006, 10:49 pm

I didn't say any of that was true death metal, and I was saying that Lamb of God stuff was fun to play because it is really technical, like a lot of death metal. I'm well aware that it's all metalcore, which is kind of a guilty pleasure for me right now, and like I said, it's fun to play. I also know that most of this metalcore stuff is really complete crap, there's just a few of these bands that I happen to like right now, those being a few (although Chimaira not so much, just mentioned them cause they're on the tour).

(Hopefully this doesn't turn into a giant argument again)[;)]

Post April 12th, 2006, 10:50 pm

Points on hand: 3,415.00 Points

Originally posted by guitarplayer673

Thats metal for you, I kinda like Cannibal Corpse actually, havn't heard their new cd though. [lol] This reminds me of a good Mitch Hedberg joke.

"A Lot of Death Metal bands have intense names like Rigor Mortis or Mortuary or Obituary. We weren't that intense. We just went with "Injured." And later we changed it to "A Cappella"... as we were walkin' out of the pawn shop."

I heard CC's new album is great! I actually heard one song from it on the radio, which I enjoyed. My favorite metal album is probably "Dechristianize" by Vital Remains. Megadeth's "Hidden Treasures" is one of my favorites too, but they're more like classic rock.

Post April 12th, 2006, 11:41 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by gouldy

[;)]

"Emo" - the art of seeking attention by pretending to be emotion all of the time and looking gay (if you are male)

oh, i get it as opposed to seeking attention by being violent , noisy, fire on stage, and very "technicaly skilled" at making overly fast aggressive music that scares parents? .

Post April 12th, 2006, 11:49 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Bowserjoe

I like Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Disturbed, and many others.

My real favorite music genre is jazz, but because it is so unpopular I'm not going to start listing favorites.
OOOOOOOHHHH scary......[:O][:O][shocked][shocked][shocked][shocked]
you should go with jazz, you'll outgrow the need to listen to that other crap. jazz is wonderful, regardless of its lack of teenage popularity. . i love miles and coletrane,, lou donaldson, thelonious monk, jimmy smith can play a b-3 like noone else,as evidenced by his session work for blue note, and herbie hancock's headhunters record has a place that ranks with pure phase as one of my favorite albums of all time..however i personaly cannot stomach most swing era jazz, woody herman , glen miller and the like are like "fake jazz for white people"

Post April 12th, 2006, 11:52 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

[;)]

oh, i get it as opposed to seeking attention by being violent , noisy, fire on stage, and very "technicaly skilled" at making overly fast aggressive music that scares parents? .

Most death metal bands consist of grown men who are actual musicians as opposed to trendy whiny teens (emo), so I don't think that's the case.

Post April 13th, 2006, 12:07 am

Points on hand: 83.00 Points
Thats funny.
the discription of Emo givin is the way I look at Today's Goth scene.

Post April 13th, 2006, 12:16 am
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by IntaminFan397

[;)]

Most death metal bands consist of grown men who are actual musicians as opposed to trendy whiny teens (emo), so I don't think that's the case.
um.. yeah.. uhuh .. ummm.. nice burning church avatar there dude..[shocked][shocked]

Post April 13th, 2006, 12:55 am

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

Death metal, esp. tech metal, is so much more complex than emo bands its not even funny. And by emo, I mean any whiny teen band such as Hawthorne Heights, Panic!, All American Rejects, and many others. The only problem is, many people get so turned off by the screaming of Death metal that they couldn't care less about the great music in and of itself that is behind the screaming vocals.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion