Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion FINALLY the start of digicoaster (with a freefall)

FINALLY the start of digicoaster (with a freefall)

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Points on hand: 3,008.00 Points
It's tiny, It's crap, but it's a start, and I want some ideas now that I can prove I can program.

I got bored this weekend and I wrote the barebone of a Giand Drop sim with G-force and speed text in it's title. One good thing: the forces, and movement, are FPS corrected so no matter what the FPS, it should run (almost) as fast no matter what.

Features:
Only lit the tower not the car
Ugly s1gle car with no seats or restraints
No lift car or cables
No sound

/\GOD this reminds me of the lightning-cube lol

I'm uploading it right now to http://members.lycos.nl/digicoaster/, and will put a screen up in a few minutes. It's very small (+-200kb) and done in C++/OpenGL. Should run on a[:p]ny windows system with any standerd opengl support.

I hope this is allowable and will finally start the DigiCoaster craze [:p]

EDIT 1: U can raise it to the top of the tower again by pressing and holding the up key. Just dropping and restarting gets boring no?

CYa
Intamin

Can't w8 to see my title being changed into "The DigiCoaster Foo"

PS ->> (Can WWS please remove the AG? Intamin is starting to complain. NO JOKE PLEEZ and email me if U do so I can login with the new name)
Last edited by Intamin AG on April 26th, 2004, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post April 26th, 2004, 12:23 pm

Due to lycos's slow slow SLOOOWWWW upload speed it'll take another fer mins to finish screen 2 and 3, but go on, the short site & download are there allready :)

EDIT:: For get the above, it's done. screens are on the site: http://members.lycos.nl/digicoaster/

Post April 26th, 2004, 3:25 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

the site aint going to load but as you sent it to me through msn i got it. I like the idea. it is defently a start. You would now have to add some textures and try and get the feeling that the ride is actullay going up rather than going along the ground.

Heres the link http://members.lycos.nl/digicoaster/TechTest.exe

Post April 26th, 2004, 3:36 pm

thnx m8! as said in the post I'm going to fix that up in the coming vacation (this wednesday to next friday THANK GOD FOR THAT)

I mailed intamin and I hope they'll aid me in the polishing

BTW the link is under the screens.

Post April 26th, 2004, 3:42 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

The site works for me...

Anyways, I think its great so far. Definitely far from finished but it is pretty neat. The only thing is when it hits the brakes and slows down it takes forever to stop [:P]

Post April 26th, 2004, 3:51 pm

yeah I just spotted that today, I've been experimenting with formulas so it must be a leftover from the "slam-into-the-brakes-from-twice-the-normal-height" experiment. Oh well I got 1 1/2 week so I'll fix it up and try and make real 3D models.

Post April 27th, 2004, 7:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

Pretty cool so far..reminded me of a Space Shot in the form of a Giant Drop!
Thrills by the Bay - Your #1 News Source for Bay Area Parks!
http://thrillsbythebay.blogspot.com

Post April 27th, 2004, 9:07 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

that was odd.......what is the point of the that? i mean it was cool it was kinda like Power Tower
!

Post April 28th, 2004, 3:22 am

The point of that is to immediately stop the "you can't do that you 14-year old f***ing moron" type comments and to draw the same (or more [:P] sorry CW j/k j/k) attention as Lightning Wheels, and get even the critics from the last times to send me some ideas for DigiCoaster.

One good thing: xcept for Stengel & S&S(this means Arrow too now, so I'll have to ask S&S for both) which are still unconfirmed or not asked all manufacturers (Vekoma, B&M, Intamin, Ride Trade, Huss as far as I know was willing to help last time)

That REALLY boosts the realism edge.

O.K. Now it's your turn to w8 for updates (don't bother checking the site I'll post here) and send me ideas. Any ideas?

P.S. I'd like to thank IF etc. for immediately dropping the angry big mouthy thing and start being friendly again.

Post April 28th, 2004, 3:33 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I mean you could post jpeg pictures to speed up the loading times. I am annoyed at having to wait so long for something to display [:(!]
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post April 28th, 2004, 3:35 am

K thnx for pointing that out. Lemme convert...

EDIT dont. Thanks to WWS for pointing that out. I must've forgot... EACH BITMAP IS BIGGER THAN 2 MB!! Let's keep it at "oops"

K back on topic... Any ideas, comments, suggestions, requests??

Post April 28th, 2004, 3:43 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

ok, there was/is over 7 megs of images in the 3 images that you posted, you can easily get them down to 30 kb each and seeing their colors you can get them down to 30 kb for all three without any quality loss [lol]
ok sleepy time for me, only 12:46 am right here in California.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post April 28th, 2004, 3:48 am

Now they're like 400 or less kB each Used no compression or smoothing to maintain optimal quality... And anyway, 400kb isnt really a problem to load...

Night WWS!

Post April 28th, 2004, 7:32 pm

Points on hand: 5,120.00 Points

about time you got something here ;). but you got probs, an additional camera would be nice, some better physics, and backdrop. I can help with it in dbp but LW is more important now, lemme know

Post April 29th, 2004, 5:45 am

nah thnx shorty! I did this in C++/OpenGL anyway, and I don't know any dbp!

About the cammy stuff etc., it's all just a test program... all it does is fall, brake and lift. I just wanted to try it out!

I'll have coded at least part of the 3Drive! Engine when you see full-blown programs. For now all I'll make is just a bunch of tests to see if my ideas work.

THIS IS TO ALL OF YOU:

---- Any ideas to put in the game?? ----

Post April 30th, 2004, 9:26 am

Quick update: there now is a DigiCoaster forum on Matt's site: www.coasterxtreme.sferahost.com!

And I'm still waiting for ideas!

Return to Off Topic Discussion