Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion G Force Variance

G Force Variance

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post April 6th, 2004, 1:48 pm

Points on hand: 4,190.00 Points

I have noticed that some people on this site change the default G-force limits so that they change from green to yellow/red at differnt limits. This creates the problem of different people rating things differently. A simple way to solve this is to reset the defaults. Another way to regulate the positive G's (which is where most of the trouble is) is to set the defaults to real human standards, which would make the regions be approxamately thus:

Green: 0 - +2.9 G
Yellow: +3.0 - +5.0 G
Red: +5.1 & ^ G

Also, a notice for all people. When rating, any coaster whose positive G level exceeds seven, no matter how good and smooth it is, should be severly penalized because +7 G's is where the human body either blacks out, risks blacking out, or risks damage. The reason for dividing the zones as such is that from 0 to +3 G's, we're fine. Starting at +3 G's, we begin to loose perehipheral vision, with more vision loss as G's increase. +5 G's is the common threshold for blackouts, so anything above that should be in the red. However, a gradual increase into the yellow or LOW red would be OK, because it would allow the body to get gradually used to the G's. NO SPIKES.

That's all I really had to say. If you want a more detailed analysis about this subject, I'll write an article about it.[:p] Otherwise, just watch how you're rating the G's.

Thanks,
Tarzanman

Edit: For more info/my sources...
http://www.saferparks.org/safety_regulation/%20astm_f24/astm_gforce.htm
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/pr/02/centrifuge320.html (On the second one...scroll down about halfway)
Last edited by tarzanman11514 on April 6th, 2004, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post April 6th, 2004, 2:17 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Why is this in site related? Moreover should be in offtopic where I am moving it now. I don't think the site needs to set a standard so it's not a site issue. It's a game issue, nolimits issue, not all games.

Post April 6th, 2004, 2:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

I set my green limit at 0-4.9, yellow at 5-6.9, and red at 7...7gs isn't bad at all, some people wouldn't be able to handle it but there are coasters that existed with more. The first looping coaster ever, The Flip Flap Railway pulled 12 positive gs.

Post April 6th, 2004, 2:50 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Fli Flap Railway was also put out of commission for the deaths that would occur on it as well.

Post April 6th, 2004, 4:05 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
red should be about 7, red should mean your dead in NL, yellow should be 4-7 (when u really feel it on a ride), green should be the rest.

BTW, Tower of Terror (a.k.a. Shaft of Terror) has a g force of 6.2-6.7 as reported by various sites. And no one has died on that so, red should be atleast 6.7+

Post April 6th, 2004, 4:06 pm

Post April 6th, 2004, 4:36 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points

Post April 6th, 2004, 6:47 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

Originally posted by pacoasterrider

BTW, Tower of (a.k.a. Shaft of ) has a g force of 6.2-6.7 as reported by various sites. And no one has died on that so, red should be atleast 6.7+
the Thriller had about 6 g's and this one ride in Japan had 6.36 so those limits are reasonable, but there's not too many operating rides with seaver -g's.

<<GRIM>>

Post April 6th, 2004, 6:50 pm

Actually, Thriller hit +6.7g and Moonsault Scramble had either 6.7 or 6.9g

Post April 6th, 2004, 9:50 pm

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

There is one SLC at a place(I think it was in Canada) that pulled 6.9, so red shuld start at 7 at the lowest IMO.

Post April 6th, 2004, 10:50 pm

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

Post April 6th, 2004, 11:04 pm

Points on hand: 4,606.00 Points
Originally posted by e-man

There is one SLC at a place(I think it was in Canada) that pulled 6.9, so red shuld start at 7 at the lowest IMO.

uh, iv'e been on the only SLC in Canada and belive me it doesn't pull 6.9, nore does any coaster in Canada. The only one that comes close is the mindbender.[approve]

Post April 7th, 2004, 12:10 am

I don't know that it was in Canada, that was just what was in my head for some reason. Someone posted about it a while back, I'll see if I can find that post.

Post April 7th, 2004, 12:38 am

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
okay, seven g's is waaay too much. on all the coaster specials on the discovery chanel, they say that designers do not like to go above 4. yes there are coasters higher than that (up to 6)(the legal limit is 6.something) 7 g's would be risking injury, especially with younger or older or not-so fit guests. and intaminfan: the coasters of the past had such high g forces because they did not know the effects of g's on the body. those coasters ended up killing and injuring people. that is why there are regulations today. so, i think that the green should be -1 to 4.5 and yellow 4.6 to 5.5 then red after that. yes coasters do get up to and over six g's in the real world, but that is soo intense that i sure as hell dont want to ride it! also, red isnt supposed to mean that the g's are deadly, its supposed to mean that you need to lower them. if its a little bit in the red like 6, then that's okay, but not as safe as the ride could be. and yes, humans are supposed to black-out at 7 g's. also, in studies, weaker people have gotten brain damage witn 7 g's so, with me wanting to be a safe designer, i do not want to even approach 7 g's. when designing rides, ya gotta think of what the public would like, and what they can handle. not just what you want to see.

Post April 7th, 2004, 1:16 am

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

Originally posted by IntaminFan397

People don't die at 7 gs.

According to our "Taser" coaster on coasters2k, they did...j/k

I wish that Zonga still coulda pulled it's 6 g's.

Post April 7th, 2004, 2:33 am

[lol]

coaster992001, if you don't like the fact that over 6 gs is intense than thats your opinion. The B&M loops with low gs are so boring and nothing thrilling, I would so much rather go through a 7g loop and FEEL the intensity...I ride coasters for thrill, not to sleep.

The fact that designers don't like to go over 4 gs is because the GP are sissy's. A LOT of coasters that operate today go over 4 gs, such as Revolution @ SFMM, Laser @ Dorney Park, and B&R The Chiller @ SFGadv for example and do you hear people dying from the gs on those rides? No.

Post April 7th, 2004, 10:05 am

The fact that designers no longer like to go above 5, let alone 6 G's, is the reason that the golden age of rollercoasters is possibly ending.

Post April 7th, 2004, 7:39 pm

Points on hand: 4,190.00 Points

Another reason for keeping the G's down is that childred whose bones are still growing....which means up to about 18 or so...can be permanently damaged by exposure to high G's. Yes, to whoever said it, the legal limit is about 6.something. Also, 7 G's is where people black out. After blacking out, the probablilty of premanent damage increases dramatically with each additional G. People are definitely dead by 14.

BTW - WWS - sorry about putting it in site related...there's been some contoversy over this all over, but I prolly shoulda put in in the NL category

Post April 7th, 2004, 8:30 pm

intaminfan: how can you say that you'd rather ride a coster with 7 g's? all you ever talk about is how the coasters of the past were so great. you werent around to go on them. they're gone for a reason. if anyone went on a coaster with 7 g's, i'd bet they wouldnt like it. and like i said before, coasters are supposed to be safe and fun, not right on the line between certain death, and not-so certain death.

Post April 7th, 2004, 8:35 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

Originally posted by coaster992001

intaminfan: how can you say that you'd rather ride a coster with 7 g's? all you ever talk about is how the coasters of the past were so great. you werent around to go on them. they're gone for a reason. if anyone went on a coaster with 7 g's, i'd bet they wouldnt like it. and like i said before, coasters are supposed to be safe and fun, not right on the line between certain death, and not-so certain death.

thats what i think too.

Post April 7th, 2004, 8:37 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

that new ride at Walt Disny World Pulls a hell of a lot of G's, no ones died from that ride.................yet. People just throw up a lot. LOL, That's why I go on those rides when I'm feeling really hungry, then I eat

Post April 7th, 2004, 10:38 pm

Originally posted by coaster992001

I have heard things from people that have ridden the greatest rides ever made, they have basicly the same views on coasters as me, and look for the same things in coasters. It would be logical that I would like them then if they did. I like coasters with insane airtime, laterals, and intensity...that is exactly what a lot of the best rides ever made were like, such as the Idora Wildcat, Mr. Twister, etc. and tons of other defunct coasters that were built in the 20s through 40s.

As I said before, I would like to go on a coaster with 7gs because its more intense. You say that "if anyone went on a coaster with 7 g's, i'd bet they wouldnt like it."...where'd you get that from? How do you know people wouldn't like it? Its just something you made up off the top of your head. You also say that 7 gs is on the borderline of death, yet most people die at 14g, not 7! I suggest you research this stuff before you go saying a bunch of nonsense.

Post April 7th, 2004, 10:54 pm

Points on hand: 3,111.00 Points
Well teh 12 g flip flap did cause back problems for its riders, but noone was ever injured, child or now on the thriller,(6.7), or any of the other schwartzkopf looping rides that have operated for 15+ years. The average coaster today hits about a maximum of 3.5 gs, I've ridden a couple that go over 5, such as laser at dorney, and they are miles more intense to the point a steel coaster can go. I don't have any proof about the child thing, but children can usually endure much more battering before they break tehn adults can to scale....if a 50 pound child is nder 5 gs, thats only 250 pounds, and so on.

Coaster992001 I think said something about why those great rides of old arent here anymore. It wasn't because they hurt people(well not most of them), but because the 30s to teh early 70s were the dark ages for amusement parks. The idora wildcat was teh most ferocious of them, pulling what I imagine to be almost 2 lateral Gs, which has never come close to today. It did crack a few ribs in its time, but didnt ever kill anyone. Mr. Twister operated till the late 90s, when the park moved, it had quite excessive forces, nothing like the Idora wildcat, but compared to the sissy stuff they build today. The Puritas springs cyclone from what I can see had about 5 Gs on 2 over 100 ft drops into the ravine. It only had 2 reported injuries in over 30 years of operating, and those were on a year that the track was not repaired at the bottom of teh drops. The dallas state fair comet pulled much more -g then any operating coaster, and it was wooden, and had buzzbars, and noone was ever injured on that ride. Todays society is just to sissy for the extreme rides. I've been on my share of todays "best", both steel and wood, and I know from friends who were alive back in the good old days, that todays best can't touch the rides from the REAL golden age. We might be in the silver age, but the real golden age was the 20s.

Post April 7th, 2004, 11:57 pm

Wow, I'm amazed at how much I agree with IF397, rides back then must have been so much fun. For example, look at the old arrow corkscrew coasters, they are intense pull decent G's, and are great rides at least as good as B&M's.

Post April 7th, 2004, 11:59 pm

i never said that 7 g's would kill anyone. however, it is dangerous, and 7 g's does make most people pass out. if you cant make a ride that incorperates the majority of guests, then the ride is a waste of money.

also, the 12 g flip flap snapped passenger's necks.. there were no deaths that i know of, but still, thats just not right.

also: to whoever said it: mission space pulls 3.2 g's. they ried to make it as accurate to a space launch as possible, so they used the same g forces that the shuttle experiences.

and: i agree that rides like mr twister and that other one you mentioned are good rides. the rides i was talking about from "the glden age" would be like those brutal rides like the crystal beach cyclone and flip flap. and i agree that todays rides are weak. the wooden ones are weak in particular.

oh, and there were several accidents on that 6.7 g schwarzkopf coaster, including at least one brain hemmorage. it also had a derailment but that wasnt from the g forces.

main point: why put yourself at risk of being hurt? 5 g's is intense, just go with that. why do people want to crush themselves with 7 g's?! i dont get it! coasters are awsome, but only when they are safe.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion