Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion G Force Variance

G Force Variance

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post April 8th, 2004, 3:43 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
Originally posted by coaster992001

oh, and there were several accidents on that 6.7 g schwarzkopf coaster, including at least one brain hemmorage. it also had a derailment but that wasnt from the g forces.

Do you have any links to back up these claims?

I think some of you are confusing high Gs (above 6) with intensity. Some of the most intense coasters around only top out at 4 g. People are reported to black out on SFMM's Goliath because of it's helix that holds 3-4 g for an extended period of time. I personally get the same effect when riding Batman the ride on a hot summer day. I've never blacked out, but have come pretty close to it. Last year, I nearly blacked out on this coaster, which tops out at 4 g: http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery ... ?Picture=3

Post April 8th, 2004, 10:29 pm

Points on hand: 4,190.00 Points

Kev - if you look in my original post, I have the link to the experiment report about human tolerances for G-forces. The plain and simple truth is hat people just can't take much more than 7 G's without blacking out. Like Kev said, people are probably confusing hihg G's with intensity. I would bet that a spike from 1-3.5 g's feels a lot more like 5 g's, so what you'd be feeling was the sudden change, not necessarily the power.

Post April 8th, 2004, 11:08 pm

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

For all you ppl who like high g's...would you rather have a ride that hurt you? Or a ride that was fun, but safe. Also, what does intense mean to you? Intense doesn't have to be g's that aren't safe.

Post April 8th, 2004, 11:20 pm

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
im thinking that the limit humans can tolerate without blacking out is anything below 7. and people black out on rides like goliath and batman because of the length of time they are exposed to the g forces. sitting through 2 g's for an hour will make you black out much easier than sitting through 5 g's for a tenth of a second.

Post April 9th, 2004, 12:12 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by tarzanman11514

Kev - if you look in my original post, I have the link to the experiment report about human tolerances for G-forces. The plain and simple truth is hat people just can't take much more than 7 G's without blacking out. Like Kev said, people are probably confusing hihg G's with intensity. I would bet that a spike from 1-3.5 g's feels a lot more like 5 g's, so what you'd be feeling was the sudden change, not necessarily the power.

The second link was an interesting read, but I'm not really sure how it would apply to coasters. The test that is discussed subjects people to a constant positive g force, versus a few split seconds that would be found on a Schwarzkopf looper.

I'm not an expert on this sort of thing though, but rather just throwing in my two cents on the conversation. I pretty much agree and disagree with both sides of this debate. I prefer intense rides like IF397, but I can also understand why they don't build them like they used to do back in the early 1900's. I firmly believe though that Scwharzkopf rides are perfectly safe. If I were to guess which would be more unsafe, my guess would be for the rides that have moderately high positive g's that are sustained a little too long.

Post April 9th, 2004, 12:31 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by coaster992001

oh, and there were several accidents on that 6.7 g schwarzkopf coaster, including at least one brain hemmorage. it also had a derailment but that wasnt from the g forces.

I forgot to mention. This is what I was wanting some links provided. When was there a brain hemorrhage and derailment on Thriller?

Post April 9th, 2004, 12:59 am

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

That 6.7 G coaster I think he was refering to was Mindbender at Galaxyland...Go to the accidents section on coasterforce.com. I think it's at the bottom of the page but there's a pic of Mindbender's derailment in the loop. As for brain hemorrhage, I haven't heard anything about 'em on Schwarzzies.

Post April 9th, 2004, 1:12 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Post April 9th, 2004, 1:30 am

i'd give the link but there isnt one! lol, i heard about it on one of the hundreds of coaster specials on the travel chanel. wich one i heard it on would be anyone's guess.

Post April 9th, 2004, 5:32 pm

Kev - I know that the study I linked to was about continuous pressure, but wouldn't you agree that the limits for continuous pressure would hold for split second jerks? It would seem that the fasterthe jerk, the worse the effect...

Post April 9th, 2004, 5:56 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea which would be worse. All I do know is that SFOT's Shockwave supposedly peaks at 5.9g entering the first vertical loop and I rarely feel any gray-out effect from it, but Batman the Ride, which supposedly peaks at 4g, gets me nearly every time during the first 3 inversions. From this, I just assume that exposure over time is more critical. But it's just an uneducated assumption though, since I'm not that type of engineer IRL. Only in make-believe, which I assume is the same for most everybody else here. [:D]

Post April 9th, 2004, 6:16 pm

actually, the length the g's are expierenced is the deciding factor. i'm studying engineering and have been studying g's for quite some time now. in fact, when you plop yourself down on a couch, you get 10 g's for a hundreth of a second. however, when on rides like batman, you get 4 g's for mabey 3 seconds at a time, you black out (or at least me + kev black out) so yeah, i'd rather have lower g's for a moderatly long time (1-2 secs) instead of having a 7 g jolt.

Post April 9th, 2004, 6:31 pm

Post April 9th, 2004, 6:52 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

I heard when you sneeze you experience 10 gs for a fraction of a second.

Post April 9th, 2004, 9:52 pm

im not sure about on a trampoline, but its under 10. but intaminfan: the only thing expierencing the 10 g sneeze is the snots... wich nobody is terribly concerned about lol.

Post April 9th, 2004, 11:14 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

actually, I heard that your whole body experiences the 10 gs.

Post April 9th, 2004, 11:36 pm

Even down to your lower body? I thought just your head or something. I just thought of this coaster99, when somebody jumps off a tall object and hit the ground, is that the g's that kill somebody?

Post April 10th, 2004, 1:32 am

no, the splat kills them [;)]

a g can be created by a large amount of matter clumping together. thats why the earth has gravity. but, the illusion of gravity can be made other ways. pretend that you are swinging a ball on the end of a rope. the ball wants to go straight out. its inertia and velocity are forcing it to keep going in one direction, but then the string wich it is attached to stops the ball from going straight. inertia and velocity want to keep going straight, and the string stops it, so the ball turns and keeps going around you. the gravity here, and on coasters is made by the track (string) forcing a fast moving coster train (ball) to change direction (circle around you). now, when someone jumps off a tall building or object, they accelerate, like if you swing the ball harder, it goes faster. then you stop the ball suddenly bu smacking it into a wall and the ball may scratch. but, the ball feels who knows how much g's when it hits the wall. now, when a person goes splat onto the sidewalk (and people really do "splat") its like the same thing as the ball hitting the wall. except plastic / rubber balls are much more resistant to sudden stops than people are, so, in the splat, the g forces basically force the person to spread apart, and ultimatly: make a mess. so, to answer your question: yes, the amount of g forces does kill them. but the very very abrupt stop also helps kill them. actually, the whole transition from person to puddle is pretty deadly too. but they also could have died of fear on the way down. or mabey, they jumped off of something big and when thinking they were going to land on a pile of mattresses, they missed and hit a big spike? im rambling now... but yes, the g's are the main thingie in killing them.

intaminfan: when you sneeze, there is a force of 10 g's on your nose and head. this is because that particular part is the most narrow of the air passageways. so, for one, you do not actually expierence "g forces" because its an outward force, not inner. and two, because of how our bodies are construced,its just not possible for your knee to be effected by a sneeze. (unless of course, your a big and scary space monster.)

also, a g force is always pulling matter in some direction. you cant have a concentration of matter that is pushing stuff away. that's antigravity, wich isnt even prooven to exist. so, i cant think of any reason as to why your whole body would get 10 g's. now, the snots going out however, would definatly get 10 accelerational g's while going out. im sick of talking about sneezing now... lets get back to coasters!!! [:)]

Post April 10th, 2004, 12:48 pm

yeah - back to coasters...there's definitely a correlation between howmany G's over how much time. Spikes are easier to deal with, but aesthetically more unplesant - this is because there's not enough time for the blood to leave your head. The longer the force is applied, the more likely you are to pass out...people would eventually pass out while being subjected to 2 g's, if it was vertical...that's why you don't pass out on the spinning rides...usually. lol

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion