Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Geess who's in British Airspace?

Geess who's in British Airspace?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post September 8th, 2007, 11:49 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

Originally posted by MACchiato

Originally posted by Coaster individual

Lately they have been putting more and more money into military funding.

Well they spent around 21.000.000.000$ on that per year (which is even less than Germany does) and they have 1.000.000 active service personnel.
The USA spent 453.300.000.000$ into military funding a year and have 1.332.300 active service personnel.

By the way, russian planes own.
American planes are like Intamin Woodies with prefabricated track. They look nice and they are hightech, but they just don't feel right.
Russian planes are more like Gravity Groop Woodies. Loud, fast and kickass :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TcZIXLFPdRo

Do that in a F-22 please :D

you first. i'll wait for ya down here.

Post September 9th, 2007, 12:58 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Uhhhhhhhhh ... let's see a Russian plane evade RADAR. If it can be seen, it can be shot down.

'nough said. [approve]
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post September 9th, 2007, 1:16 am
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

i'll admit, the russians are resourceful, and their aircraft is pretty bad ass, but the only thing letting this jet know a f18 was nearby would be a rocket pulverizing it while it was doing a wheelie.
ever see j.o.t.s t.j? we don't need no stinkin' radar..but i was an f.c. in the navy and i can assure everyone we can nail anything they can come up with, regardless of how badass it is.

Post September 9th, 2007, 1:19 am

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

By the way, russian planes own.
American planes are like Intamin Woodies with prefabricated track. They look nice and they are hightech, but they just don't feel right.
Russian planes are more like Gravity Groop Woodies. Loud, fast and kickass :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TcZIXLFPdRo

Do that in a F-22 please :D

Damn! I wish I was in that plane!

Post September 9th, 2007, 12:07 pm

Points on hand: 721.00 Points
Originally posted by TConwell

Uhhhhhhhhh ... let's see a Russian plane evade RADAR. If it can be seen, it can be shot down.

'nough said. [approve]

That goes for any American plane too. Do you really think there are no ways to detect stealth aircraft? We are not talking about Iraq or Afghanistan seeing them of course, but the Netherlands, Russia Australia England and the Ukraine say they have radar systems to detect any stealth plane.
In 1991 a F-117 was detected by an English ship, and in the same year a F-117 was shot down by a Sa-3 (an anti aircraft missle from the 60s) in Kosovo.

Post September 9th, 2007, 1:03 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Hmmmm, I wonder if I could build a catapult big enough ...

Just push him out the side of a plane, it's easier.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 9th, 2007, 5:32 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

'nough said. [approve]

That goes for any American plane too. Do you really think there are no ways to detect stealth aircraft? We are not talking about Iraq or Afghanistan seeing them of course, but the Netherlands, Russia Australia England and the Ukraine say they have radar systems to detect any stealth plane.

In 1991 a F-117 was detected by an English ship, and in the same year a F-117 was shot down by a Sa-3 (an anti aircraft missle from the 60s) in Kosovo.
Excellent randomness. Now, allow me to educate you with the actual REST of the story so you can at least pretend like you know what you are talking about. The F-117 that was detected by the English ship was a routine mission, with its allies, and was not in stealth mode ... duh.

As far as the one shot down, only ONE has been lost in combat to Serbian forces. On March 27, 1999, during the Kosovo War, the 3rd Battalion of the 250th Missile Brigade under the command of Colonel Zolt?????????n Dani, equipped with the Isayev S-125 'Neva-M' (NATO designation SA-3 'Goa'), downed F-117A serial number 82-806 with a Serbian improved Neva-M missile. According to NATO Commander Wesley Clark and other NATO generals, Serb air defenses found that they could detect F-117s with their radars operating on unusually long wavelengths. This made them visible on radar screens for short times. The pilot survived and was later rescued by US Air Force Pararescue personnel. However, the wreckage of the F-117 was not promptly bombed, due to possible media fallout from news footage of civilians around the wreckage. The Serbs are believed to have invited Russian personnel to inspect the remains, inevitably compromising the then 25-year-old US stealth technology.[20] Since the United States did not destroy the wreckage, the remains can still be seen by civilians today at the Museum of Aviation in Belgrade close to Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport.

An error of assumption was made by many as to the identity of the pilot. While the name "Capt Ken "Wiz" Dwelle" was painted on the canopy, Dwelle was not the pilot on this mission and the true identity of the pilot was not made public.

Reportedly several SA-3s were launched, one of which detonated in close promixity to the F-117A, forcing the pilot to eject. According to an interview, Zolt?????????n Dani was able to keep most of his missile sites intact and had a number of spotters spread out looking for F-117s and other NATO aircraft. The commanders and crews of the SAMs guessed the flight paths of earlier F-117A strikes from rare radar spottings and positioned their SAM launchers and spotters accordingly. It is believed that the SA-3 crews and spotters were able to locate and track F-117A 82-806 visually, probably with the help of infra-red and night vision systems. He also claimed that his battery shot down an F-16 as well (which according to NATO was lost due to mechanical failure).

Some American sources acknowledge that a second F-117A was also damaged during a raid in the same campaign, and although it made it back to its base, it never flew again.

There were also some unconfirmed reports that F-117 were sometimes spotted by the Iraqi radars during the Gulf War.

Now, let's really educate you on the F-117:

Despite its successes in the Kosovo and Iraq Wars and its high mission-capable rate, the F-117 was nonetheless designed with late 1970s technologies. Its stealth technology, while still more advanced than that of any other aircraft but the B-2 Spirit, F-22A and F-35, is maintenance heavy. Furthermore, the facet-based stealth design (which has aerodynamic cost) represents an old counter-radar technique that has since been greatly refined. Program Budget Decision 720, dated December 28, 2005, proposed retiring the entire fleet by October 2008 to allow for buying more F-22As. PBD 720 called for 10 aircraft to be retired in FY 2007 and the remaining 42 aircraft in FY 2008 and stated there were other more capable Air Force assets that could provide low observable, precision penatrating weapons capability including the B-2 Spirit, F-22A and JASSM.

By late 2006, the Air Force had closed the F-117 pilot school, and announced the retirement of the F-117. The first six aircraft to be retired made the last flight on 12 March 2007 after a ceremony at Holloman AFB to commemorate the aircraft's storied career. Brigadier General David Goldfein, commander of the 49th Fighter Wing, said at the ceremony, "With the launch of these great aircraft today, the circle comes to a close - their service to our nation's defense fulfilled, their mission accomplished and a job well done. We send them today to their final resting place - a home they are intimately familiar with - their first, and only, home outside of Holloman."

Unlike most other Air Force aircraft which are retired to Davis-Monthan AFB, the F-117s are being retired to the Tonopah Test Range. There, their wings will be removed and the aircraft will be stored in their original hangars.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-117_Nighthawk

In short, they shot it down because they could see it with their eyes - as they randomly shot into the air. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut, bozo. Now, if you knew anything about military aircraft you would know that I showed you a picture of a B2-Bomber. The most highly effective stealth aircraft in the arsenal. It flies at classified heights and cannot be seen visually. As a matter of fact, the first instance that the enemy has any idea that there is a plane nearby is that things start blowing up around them.

Geesh man, please stop trying to act like you know something before you REALLY get owned.

And oh, you said:
"We are not talking about Iraq or Afghanistan seeing them of course, but the Netherlands, Russia Australia England and the Ukraine say they have radar systems to detect any stealth plane."

This coming from the same group of people who want to convince the entire world that they are still relevant and can play a role in a world war (should one happen). Sorry Charlie, these nations cannot even combat the civil war in their own land let alone build technology to locate stealth. Biggest thing Russia ever did was Sputnick (nuclear stuff does not count because we all know they "borrowed" certain things from the US); England ... are you kidding me? It's tea time -- gotta stop fighting now. Australia? What have they ever given the world besides Crocodile Dundee? Ukraine? Seriously? They cannot even decide on a government to lead them. The Netherlands? Who? Please man, stop reading random crap and trying to spit it out as knowledge -- you look like an arse when you do that.

Well, I guess it is too late, you DID get owned.

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Hmmmm, I wonder if I could build a catapult big enough ...

Just push him out the side of a plane, it's easier.

I agree. Let's make that happen -- sooner the better. I will warm up the jet.
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post September 11th, 2007, 4:07 pm

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
USA isn't the only country developing advanced technology you know[;)]

I feel that we from the western world has a big tendency to underestimate soviet/Russian and their technology. Yes Soviet had a lot of problems with poverty etc, but some of that came from the fact that they used enormous amounts on the military. And what did they use this on? It was certainly more than copying American nuclear technology and training recruits. Soviet too had some top scientific people, which developed new weapons and other military equipment. Soviet was after all a mighty enemy too the US for about 40 years, and in the end it was their huge internal problems that got too big.

On a slightly related note, Russia today demonstrated the worlds biggest conventional bomb, 4 times larger than the second most powerful (American). While the American bomb has one ton more explosives than the Russian, the later is 4 times as powerful thanks to new nano technology. The blast area has a radius of 300 meters, and in many ways this is becoming an alternative to small nuclear bombs (and it isn't as dangerous for the environment. Good to know when you're bombed [;)] ). So I wouldn't be so fast on underestimating Russian technology.
Coaster count: 153
Moving to Singapore in july!

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion