Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster help with heartlining turns

help with heartlining turns

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post August 29th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Points on hand: 1,556.00 Points
how do i make a 180 degree with banking to have no lateral gs while still having good positive g force

for instance if i make a half circle going 45 mph, and i split it so that there is 3 cps

the beginning, halfway thru the turn, and the end,

and i just bank the middle of the turn to say 45 or 65 degree banking, it will do 0 - 1.5 lateral gs unless the turn is really really large for it to have 0 lateral gs,

but if i split it into more segments, so that it is in 1/4ths of the turn, the sudden transition into any form of banking causes even more intense lateral gs

Post August 29th, 2009, 11:43 pm

Points on hand: 1,060.00 Points
Well, think about it. If you had straight, level track and rolled into a bank while staying straight and level, you'd have some lateral gs. If you banked all the way over to 90 degrees, you'd have 1 lateral g and 0 gs "eyeballs down".

So, to have 0 lateral gs in a turn, your banking has to just exactly match the turn radius at the speed you're going. For a constant radius, constant speed turn, you only need one bank angle, and you hold that angle all through the turn.

But since you can't go instantaneously from 0 degrees roll to 40 degrees or 50 degrees or whatever you need, you have to ease into the turn as you ease into the bank. That means you start with an infinite radius at 0 degrees bank (straight and level), then "spiral in" as you roll into the bank, decreasing the radius as you go. Leaving the turn is the same thing in reverse, you spiral out as you roll out.

If all this sounds a little difficult and complicated to pull off, rest assured that it is. I recommend some of the track building tools that are available for download to help you lay this out, it's much easier with a little software help.

Post August 30th, 2009, 12:39 am

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
The best thing to do is use the Automatic Heartline Generator, you can download it here:
http://www.coastercrazy.com/forum/topic ... C_ID=16602

You might want to look at the tutorial, too.
American Eagle Lover

Post August 30th, 2009, 2:18 am

Points on hand: 1,556.00 Points
is there a tutorial with working pictures ?
"But since you can't go instantaneously from 0 degrees roll to 40 degrees or 50 degrees or whatever you need, you have to ease into the turn as you ease into the bank. That means you start with an infinite radius at 0 degrees bank (straight and level), then "spiral in" as you roll into the bank, decreasing the radius as you go. Leaving the turn is the same thing in reverse, you spiral out as you roll out."

this does make sense, yes, but i still get from 0.6 - 1.2 lateral Gs now and then when I do it this way ,

it usually means only 3 cps, not turn, half the turn, and end of the turn, with banking at the half - way mark of the turn being spiraled into and out of.

sometimes i need to cut that into fourths, with the entire turns banking being reached 1/4 way through, and exiting out in the last fourth.

Return to No Limits Coaster