Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Hydra (Dorney Park)

Hydra (Dorney Park)

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 12th, 2004, 2:39 am

Points on hand: 3,352.00 Points
During all this fuss you guys are making over Silver Bullet, it seems you missed Hydra! Anyway, heres some of the latest pics. What do you guys reckon to this coaster? Theres talk of a corkscrew before the Cobra Roll - check it out for yourself!

http://www.xtremecoasters.com/photo_gal ... p?album=46
http://www.rcdb.com/installationdetail2528.htm
http://www.eastcoaster.com/gallery/thum ... p?album=70

Post September 12th, 2004, 3:13 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Talk? There is a cork before the cobra silly :P Theres also the new element off the drop and the Zero G after it, which is being built right now.

Dont worry I personally havent overlooked this ride...just looks stunning. Cedar Fair should have 2 rather knock out rides here. Maybe CP will get a floorless or something B&M OF the same caliper of these 2.

Post September 12th, 2004, 3:53 am

I certainly hope so, If I get a holiday to America again Ill try to visit the New York Area - Isnt Six Flags Great Adventure quite near Dorney too?

Post September 12th, 2004, 3:54 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Man, Hydra looks so awesome! I'll have to ride it next summer. (And I'll be getting in free with my CP employee card... [:)]). New elements, terrain, unique sequencing, what's not to love? This coaster really looks awesome.

Now for something else that you all have not herad about... Holiday World has inquired about a new coaster with The Gravity Group. They are carefully watching the construction of Hades, and if it is a sucess, Holiday World will be building a new GG wood coaster within the next 2 years. Along with it, the return of Stark Raven Mad, only under a different name. As of now, this is just educated speculation, but anything that comes from the mouths of several ACE members can't be total rubbish. (I would really like to see this myself.)

overall, 2005-2006-2007 is looking like a great few years for coaster lovers everywhere.

Post September 12th, 2004, 12:56 pm

Points on hand: 2,671.00 Points

i cant wait so see when Hydra's done, it looks like a kickass coaster, and the colors are unique and stunning, b&m is getting out of there rut with this one!

Post September 12th, 2004, 1:16 pm

cjd, youll be working at CP Too? I know Im thinking very heavily about it and so is someone else I know who currently works at a SF park. I wasnt sure if CP employees got into all CF parks free but I assumed they did. That will rock on very hard, I wont need to buy a season pass :D

Post September 12th, 2004, 3:01 pm

I wanna work at a cedar fair park when im older and in college.

Post September 12th, 2004, 4:10 pm

You may think that now, but I don't think dispatching trains on your favourite ride would get pretty tedious if you couldnt ride :)

Post September 12th, 2004, 5:17 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

actually, I covered for a ride op rof 8 straight hours, and I loved it. (but that's just me... just being around coasters, and seeing the smiles and laughter of guests as they get off the ride really makes my day.) Food service was a pain in the butt. It went from being empty and not doing anything to being swarmed by 40 hungy, hostile guests all complaining about how slow the service was and how expensive the food is. UGH! I SO want to work in rides next summer. Or maybe I'll go work at Holiday World... that would be heaven. To cap off my "great" experience at CP, I had to work over 55 hours every single week because our auditor/supervisor was a pain-in-the-butt workaholic with a bad additude and over half of the "Bayou Crew" left because they couldn't stand her anymore; leaving us severely under-staffed for over half of the summer. For comparisign, in rides, no matter how many or few guests you have, you still have the same amount of work to do. Plus, saying "welcome back riders, how was rour ride?" never loses it's appeal.

Post September 13th, 2004, 3:25 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
i guess i'm blind, i don't see a cork before the zero g roll, and where the h*ck can i find a cobra roll on the pics... I only saw ????????? zero g roll... Gimme links to the pics....
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post September 13th, 2004, 4:25 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

I could be wrong, but from the pics I've seen that part has yet to be built

Post September 13th, 2004, 9:39 am

A cork before the cobra, not the Zero G.

The Zero G is half built too ATM.

Post September 13th, 2004, 11:43 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I was looking at it on RCDB yesturday, I have been following this more than I have been following the construction of Silver Bullet, I don't know why, but I'm just not all that interested in SIlver Bullet *shrugs shoulders*, whereas, I really like the look of this one. It looks to have an origianl layout so yeah, looks cool.

Post September 13th, 2004, 11:49 am

a cork before the cobra roll wound be really good, alot more original than a zero g roll, cant wait to see it done, Dorney is starting to gain on Cedar Point. lol.

Post September 13th, 2004, 9:32 pm

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

It will have a cork before the cobra roll like real said, and a few other surprises. This is IMO a breakaway from then norm from B&M, along with Silver Bullet kinda, but this one is hopefully representing the future of B&M. The terraforming for it looks awesome as well.

Post September 13th, 2004, 10:46 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

They are carefully watching the construction of Hades, and if it is a sucess, Holiday World will be building a new GG wood coaster within the next 2 years

THey don't even need to watch, its gonna be great. Anyways, I'd like to see a pic of this new element, maybe even a layout of the ride.
And I've been following this ride just as much as SB, I just don't talk about it, because I don't know where all the great pictures of it are. I tried previosly to find a layout of it, but I can't. THis looks like it might be on of B&M's best floorless creations. As SB looks like one of their best Inverts
but the question is, will this ride have any floater/ejector air? SB looks to have one spot of floater on that wierd camal back thing between the 2 corkscrews.

Post September 13th, 2004, 11:41 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Hydra's Layout:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/171 ... 8542zEfpUl

And I've been following this ride just as much as SB, I just don't talk about it, because I don't know where all the great pictures of it are.

The most frequent construction updates I've seen for Hydra are released on www.xtremecoasters.com
(http://xtremecoasters.com/index.php?act ... ion/dorney)

Post September 14th, 2004, 2:08 am

The layout is already incorrect, as the real Zero G roll rotates the other direction. Be interesting to see how much of the layout actually is true since most of it is following closely.

I just assume they had to change the rotation for something stupid and small, with everything else unchanged.

I however, would like to see a new ending, the long boring turn to the brakes is huge, unless it dips down like talon.

Post September 14th, 2004, 2:44 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

I agree, that ending looks rather boring. I just noticed that there is quite a bit of track between the lift and the station too, cool.

Post September 14th, 2004, 5:13 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

Post September 14th, 2004, 8:19 pm

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

Nice, there is a BARREL ROLL out of the station!!!!!!! This coaster looks just as I had pictured it from the layout, it is a beaut. And Real, that last turn is much lower than the helix's high point, so maybe it will be adrenalistic after all.

Post September 14th, 2004, 8:33 pm

Yea, which is a good thing.

The roll before the lift is Stoooopiddd. So is the name, it makes "Flying Snake Dive" sound cool. So, thoughts on this Jo-Jo Roll? Does it work with KC? Its honestly really pointless since you are going to pretty much go from on your seat, to into your restraint, to into your restraint more, to into your restraint less, to into your seat.

Just seems gimmicky...It makes it very original (though there is a prelift inversion elsewhere, by intamin I should say) so its not the only, but makes it original. Does it add to the fun? Not sure, once you drop off the lift you may as well just forget about that roll.

Post September 14th, 2004, 8:55 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

I think it's a fun and original addition. People are definitely going to notice and talk about it, thought it's nothing extremely spectacular or thrilling.

People are speculating that there's a small launch out of the station. It doesn't look like it from the video, but notice the many drive wheels and even a pinch brake in the station? B&Ms usually use drive wheels (going reverse) to stop the train in the station. It kinda reminds me of hulk.

I expect the beginning to be fast, but not a real "launch".

Post September 14th, 2004, 9:18 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

I think its going to be pretty cool, it'll have laterals and hangtime. The name for it sucks though.

Post September 14th, 2004, 9:20 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions