Board index Roller Coaster Games 3D Modeling Discussion I Don't Get It

I Don't Get It

Discuss anything related to 3D modeling from 3ds Max to Object Creator. Have a question? Get it answered here!

Post September 10th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Points on hand: 79.00 Points
Using Sketch-Up for 3D's in NoLimits. Without researching it, my guess would be the following list:

1) Load the coaster with tunnels where you want it to go underground, but without supports or landscaping in the Construction Kit.
2) In the Construction Kit, create and save a .3ds model of the coaster, with tunnels, track, and flat ground.
3) Import the (massive) .3ds file into Google Sketch-Up
-----
This is where I get a little confused
-----
4) Create the 3D's in relation to the Sketch-Up model, without touching or using the any part of the coaster or tunnels as a node (because everything is exported as one large object)
5) Once 3D's are done to satisfaction, delete the coaster model, leaving only the custom shapes.
6) Export the Sketch-Up file back to .3ds format
7) Load the coaster in NoLimits
8) Locate the .3ds file and load it into NoLimits via the object placer
9) Resize the 3D object (which, despite being many separate entities, should be proportionally correct no matter the size) and align the coaster layout to fit. Complete the supports as needed (assuming interaction with the 3D file)
10) Save the NoLimits file, open in the terraformer, and mold the simulator's landscape to fit seamlessly to the created object. (leaving the tunnels as depressions so the coaster does not pass though the ground)
11) Once everything is saved, open the final model (with everything) in the Construction Kit , finally creating the skybox and .env file, then create a custom train texture.
-----
And something I am *totally* unfamiliar with
-----
12) Associate all files and combine them in the Track Packager, which results in the file that is actually uploaded to the website.

Is that mostly right?

If so, two questions... 1) How do you import the NoLimits ground textures (for instance, Sandstone) into Sketch-Up? and 2) Creating custom tunnels in Sketch-Up is a pain, because there are so many nodes to accidentally lock on to. Is there a better way to do this?
Last edited by Pockets on September 10th, 2012, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be in a barbershop quartet in Skokie, Illinois...

Post September 10th, 2012, 2:19 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
You should be able to import your .3ds file to NL and have it be the right size and orientation with the node at the origin. Most of the time NL's rotation isn't accurate enough.

I always have issues getting it to import at the right scale/orientation, but I do know it can be done.

For the tunnel, I don't generally like to use NL's shape...but if you want to you can delete the outside of it (I think they come in two pieces...? Been a little while), intersect your tunnel and landscape, right click, and get SketchUp to draw you a line that you can use to cut a hole, then retexture the inside of the tunnel.

It seems to me most real rides don't have tunnels that perfectly follow the track...especially tunnels that are legitimately built into the landscape. Your call though. I just think one solution tends to look more realistic and less like most NL tunnels ever made, which is why I'd say use the NL tunnel as reference to show approximately how much space you have to work with, then build your own tunnel around that envelope.

Return to 3D Modeling Discussion