Board index Roller Coaster Games Scream Machines I dont know what game to get.....

I dont know what game to get.....

Discuss anything related to Scream Machines!

Post February 23rd, 2004, 10:27 pm

Points on hand: 2,479.00 Points
I am wondering if you could help me figure out what game to get, No Limits or Scream Machines? Which one is easier to build in, does each let you build in terrain, which one has the most roller coaster choices? Could anyone help me with this by answering these questions, and commenting some more to help me out with this decision, THANK!

Post February 24th, 2004, 7:38 pm

Points on hand: 4,183.00 Points

Well, I dont have No Limits so I can't compare directly which is better. Both allow you to create terrain, but I'm pretty sure NL requires a separate program for it. Also, I'm pretty sure SM has more coaster choices. And I can't tell you which is easier to build in, but I my opinion is SM. Well, that's my two cents.

Post February 24th, 2004, 9:46 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
from what i heard, SM is better but it's a full screen game. I only have NL and i like the idea of being able to recieve IM's and do stuff online while building coasters. And no, the terrain feature come's with the game, NL is seperated into 3 programs, the editor, (where you build) simulator, (where you ride) and the terraformer (where you make land). I still dont get the tarraformer tho in NL, i just use the Autogenerater, which makes a custom landscape.

Post February 25th, 2004, 4:55 am

Points on hand: 2,690.00 Points
I'm not going to recommend a game since I'm just a little biased [:)] But SM does have a window mode as well as the fullscreen settings. Yes, it is only available in 640x480, so if you use high resolution for your desktop settings, it can be pretty small.

Post February 25th, 2004, 11:07 am

Points on hand: 1.00 Points
--------------------
Last edited by DjJavixxxxx on September 9th, 2014, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post February 25th, 2004, 11:34 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

[lol] i am also wating for SM2 to be released. To be honest im getting kid of bored of NL and the waythier always like 'Its the best, Its More Realistic' Jeez...
I have no limits and have had it from reall when it first came out, and can be fun to build a coaster every couple of months and so on.
But in my opinion you should probaly get SM, if its not for the game its for the devs. The developers of SM are alot more freindly and actualy help you out within a couple of hours or so (they also visit here *DragonsIOA* [;)])

Post February 25th, 2004, 4:57 pm

Still no ETA on SM2. It seems like every time I get really going on it, something else in real life steps in and demands my time. But I still hope for it to be out sometime this year.

Post February 25th, 2004, 6:08 pm

Points on hand: 3,024.00 Points

Does SM2 will be a update or we will need to buy another license?

Post February 25th, 2004, 9:15 pm

Points on hand: 4,334.00 Points

SM2 will be another update and no need to purchase another licence from what I heard. Your other question which one is better? To be honest I like SM over NL. Better coaster sounds and everything else looks more realistic. The best news is SM can handle upated graphic drives wheres NL can't handle new updated drivers. I have given up on NL because of this although I have an ATI card and updated it with the latest drivers.

Post February 26th, 2004, 4:34 am

coasterbum is correct. SM2 is a free update to SM1 owners. As far as drivers go, I think the biggest problem is that IHV's (and developers) are focused on DX9 right now instead of OpenGL. As much as I prefer GL, I can see why some people prefer DX9 now that we've moved into the programmable pipeline era. From experience, I can tell you that writing a ps1.x level shader that works on both ATI and nVidia is easier in DX than in GL. My new engine can use either DX9 or GL, but right now shaders are only available in DX9 mode. This could change before it is released, of course [:)]

Post February 26th, 2004, 7:14 pm

Points on hand: 3,024.00 Points

Post February 26th, 2004, 9:17 pm

Points on hand: 4,463.00 Points

IMO, both games are great! The editor in both games are fairly simalar, and both require some time to learn. NL might be the best looking sim, and the choose of many, but SM has more for your buck, and the graphics in SM are still good, and there's more detail in SM's tracks. SM has more track and train styles, more editor tools, and more custom support options.

A good idea is to download the demo for both NL and SM, tinker around with them, and deside for your self which one you want, or you can do what many others have done and just buy both, they are only $25 each.

Post May 30th, 2004, 3:10 pm
ice User avatar

Points on hand: 2,556.00 Points
I've just bought SM and I love it! The developers really listen to what we the consumer wants, so that's why it so great to play it! I was intrested in SM when it was starting to develop but didn't have a chance to buy it and now I finally did it and I'm very happy with it! DragonsIOA you're doing a great job! I hope you'll get time to finish SM2 and have more people buying your game!

Post May 30th, 2004, 4:22 pm

Points on hand: 3,604.00 Points

I have both games, i got NL first then SM. Personally, i prefer SM over NL because I think SM editor is easier. The graphics are good in both games, NL runs faster. The sounds in SM could use some work, but i am sure the team is already on it. SM has the most trains and tracks, and a lot more options than NL. Building suports is easy to do in both of them. I have absolutely no idea how to use the tera former for no limits. With SM, there is a tab you can click to go to land editing, raise the sea level, raise land, etc. Not sure if its possible yet to build underground tunnels in SM. From some tracks i have ridden in NL, you can there.
If i were you, download the demos first before you buy anything. Also, you may think about hyperrails, doesnt come up to par with NL or SM(only about 5 track styles in all) but the graphics in it are awesome and its the only other coaster sim with 4d's, besides SM.

Post May 31st, 2004, 12:30 am

Points on hand: 2,809.00 Points

Just so everyone knows about the sounds I do hope to go to Six Flags Great America this year and "borrow" some sounds from there, so expect to hear them soon! :)

Post June 1st, 2004, 12:15 pm

You can't build underground in any current sim. In both SM and NL, you can fake it by using models. The nice thing about SM is that you can change almost everything if you don't like the defaults. In 1.5, this includes the overall speed, as well as the sound falloffs, which are the 2 main complaints I hear about. You can also swap out the actual sound effects if you want.

Post June 2nd, 2004, 5:04 am

Points on hand: 4,334.00 Points

The sounds are great but I think mainly the interferace of the sounding distances is a slight problem. Sometimes you can hear the sounds pretty far away within the simulation as if they are sounding 5 feet away from the rider. An option for an adjustable sounding distance volume would be good to consider but although nothing meaningful.

Post June 2nd, 2004, 2:34 pm

coasterbum, that is exactly what v1.5 gives you. There is an ini file with the falloff distances for each sound effect. You just lower the value to reduce the distance, or increase it to increase the distance.

Post June 2nd, 2004, 3:30 pm

DragonsIOA, do you think 1.5 will be released today or tomorrow?

Post June 2nd, 2004, 4:59 pm

Today? Not a chance [:)] Tomorrow, a small chance. I have to finish the premier's logo fix and Kobain's new train he gave me yesterday.

Post June 2nd, 2004, 6:19 pm

Ok, thats cool, take all the time you need to perfect it

Return to Scream Machines