Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion I got some quick questions!

I got some quick questions!

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post January 12th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Points on hand: 1,649.00 Points
Hello I don't post here often, but I figured I visit here often maybe somebody could help me out. Our school puts on a student produced slide show, showcasing highlights throughtout the whole school year, and well so far I've been the only one to do anything on this. I've been the only one working my butt off on this thing, and well I had an idea.

Restitution (sp?)

I figured maybe I could get a little money for my hardwork. My idea was to sell the slide show on a dvd that would include the slide show as well as every single picture that was used in the slide show, which here's my first question. Can a DVD+R or DVD-R disk be read and have files copied from them on a computer using a cd-drive or cd-burner?

Now here comes the legal question. . . with the slide show every year we put music in the slide show. . . Now if I wanted to sell the slide show on DVD, how would that work with the music, because I've heard mixed things on this, but I'd like credible, information on this question? (Backing up your answer with a source would be nice)

Also lastly I wanted to note, I've been using my blank disks to take pictures with the school's camera, of all the events we have. Once I've taken them, I use my computer to fix up the photos, then I use the school's computers to actually build the slide show, since they use Adobe Premiere which nice, plus I'ven't found a sutible free alternative. . .

So basically I want to sell a DVD that contains something I created which contains music, and was made with the schools computers. . . . Can this work?

Lastly I want to note I would buy the blank media myself, and do all the burning myself! The actual making of all the DVDs would come out of my pocket, and my time!

Post January 12th, 2006, 7:13 pm

Originally posted by SixFlagsFiesta

A DVD-RW holds around 4 GIG, files could be copied over to there computer if you wanted them to be able to, how ever that depends on how you develop the DVD. The music, you would have to get the holders permission to use the music, since your selling the DVDs for a profit you have to give the artist a share.

EDIT: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

Well, I can understand, but somebody told me that if I use no more then a certain portion of a song then I would not have to pay the artists any money, I think it was like if I used 30 seconds of less of a song I did not have to pay for it! Now if I'm right about this, would I owe them anything if at the beginning I used the first 30 seconds of a song then at the end I used the last 30 seconds of that same song?

Post January 12th, 2006, 7:14 pm

Points on hand: -1,299.00 Points
Bank: 1,430.56 Points
by the wy u could burn the dvd on a ordinary cd burner but i doubt it it will be better with the DVD burner cause the laser is a little bit stronger and ur dvd will have much better graphics then CD one, That is a good ideal that u sell out ur work that u have done.

Post January 12th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

i don't think u should say you did it all your own sure u made it "so far" but the school year is like only halfway done (well a little more) but maybe closer to the end of the year people will work on it

Post January 12th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Originally posted by RRollergod

i don't think u should say you did it all your own sure u made it "so far" but the school year is like only halfway done (well a little more) but maybe closer to the end of the year people will work on it

I understand what you are saying and if so be that somebody else decided to help me with this, then they would be entitled to a portion of the profits, but no one has yet to answer me on my music question, and yes I will read that link you gave me, SixFlagsFiesta, but a little later, I've got things to do right now, but I'll be back later, to discuss more on this!

Return to Off Topic Discussion