Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Intamin Impulse Realistic?

Intamin Impulse Realistic?

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post March 15th, 2011, 11:22 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
^thank you.

Originally posted by Jcoasters

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

You realize when you make a roll, there are lead-ins and lead-outs to prevent pumpy beginnings and ends? This means that the middle section that excludes these leads would be constant, and you would have to decide exactly which parts of your "Elementary" roll (Garsh who uses Elementary to make rolls these days... lol) are constant in rotation.

I use elementary, and I like it. lol

And, It is called No Limits right? I have No Limit in money, so it seems to me, and most members, that it would be realistic. Why not do it? The only cost to me is the time [;)]

None of that acknowledged anything I said. I hope you read what I said about the continuous rotation excluding leads.

Post March 15th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Yes. I would have to put the LIM's only on the constant rotation part.
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Post March 16th, 2011, 12:08 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Okay good. And I don't think it's unrealistic. It's innovative, as long as one can find the necessary innovation, nothing could be unrealistic.

As soon as someone finds a way to make something real, it's realistic [lol]

Post March 24th, 2011, 3:16 pm

Points on hand: 686.00 Points
go with it anyways, no matter what the negative trolls say

Post March 26th, 2011, 5:08 am

Points on hand: 1,341.00 Points

Originally posted by ProZach626

Originally posted by hyyyper

It could be possible. Probably hard as hell to manufacture as the fins and openings would have to line up exactly on every place in the roll, but it is possible.

Being a manufacturing analyst, I agree with this. The fins would be very pricey and very hard to draw up, make, and model.

I say scrap the idea. Wicked twister made me sick to my stomach withou the hearline roll. Two twisting towers was too much. Impulse coasters are awesome in their simplicity. That's why I like v2 at SFGA.

/thread

It would be unrealistic because if you have the fins fitted to the heartline roll than in order to use any type of brakes or anything they would have to be a heartline roll as well. Also, they wouldn't be able to be in small sections. that would be irrelevant since the chassis is all one piece. They'd have to be place on a bend in the chassis and therefore unable to interact with any straight pieces.

However, if we ignore the limitations of the game and imagine that there are TWO sets of fins, the launch on top, and a static flat set on the side then it would be possible to use the second set as braking fins. .-. (^_^)

Post March 26th, 2011, 1:49 pm

The towers are not going to have any fins. Imagine this. You know how the track rolls? well, the LSMs go with it.

The LSMS would look like this:

and there would be fins coming out of the cars in short segments, so it could rotate with the roll. Plus, the roll is going to be very stretched out. The launch section will be 60 meters long. Wicked Twisters is about 55 meters but I wanted to make this longer so that the laterals from the roll are not too bad. Also, it wont be as high as wicked twister; only 50 meters.

Post March 26th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Points on hand: 1,385.00 Points
Hmm... as people have said, this would be extremely difficult to pull off with LIMs or LSMs.

A heartline roll launch MIGHT be doable with a cable launch or tires, but neither of those sound very compatible with an Intamin Impulse.

Just a thought: what if you put the LIMs on the side of the train like Premier? Then it might be a little easier.
Originally posted by dcs221
\n"they see me trollin', they hatin'..." -Omnigeek6

Chamillionaire you are not...but white and nerdy, yes.

Post March 27th, 2011, 8:19 am

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

Jcoasters, is Newton to mainstream for you?

Anyway, I don't think it could be done, except if the roll was a linear transition, which would jerk at the entrance and exit...
Otherwise, the curvature is not constant.
Also, as people said, if it were done, the brakes, stations, etc would also have to be heartline rolls.

Post March 27th, 2011, 10:42 am

Points on hand: 235.00 Points
or use bending lim fins...
You expecting something not being here?

Post March 27th, 2011, 12:28 pm

^Finally! Someone gets it. Who says LIMs cant rotate?

Post March 27th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
Because they're metal plates...

(I think)
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy:
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post March 27th, 2011, 1:44 pm

They can be thing metal plates. I mean, according to your theory, roller coaster tracks cant rotate and turn because they are made of metal. Metal is bendable for you information.

Post March 27th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Originally posted by Yaminub

or use bending lim fins...

bending, as in flexable

not bended, as in permadently shaped.
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post March 27th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Ok, then bended LIMs. I will use bended LIMs.

Jesus Christ...

Post March 27th, 2011, 8:01 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,382.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
you rang?
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post March 27th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Points on hand: 235.00 Points
Why cant you just use BENDING lims. Who says nobody cant develop fins with enough magnetic content (or whatever) to actually be effective.
You expecting something not being here?

Post March 27th, 2011, 8:54 pm

*sigh*...

Post March 27th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

Post March 27th, 2011, 9:42 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,382.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
watch him start this project then give up after a while...
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post March 27th, 2011, 10:10 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Originally posted by Vid_w
Anyway, I don't think it could be done, except if the roll was a linear transition, which would jerk at the entrance and exit...
Otherwise, the curvature is not constant.
Also, as people said, if it were done, the brakes, stations, etc would also have to be heartline rolls.
That was my first thought
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post March 28th, 2011, 2:52 am

Points on hand: 1,676.00 Points
The train would need to enter the launch section at exactly the same speed every time with the use of a set of permanently curved fins. So are you going to launch from the station have a break in between the station launch and continued roll launch? If anything went wrong--theoretically assuming this was actually built--with a station launch or release (maybe station has a turn the launch section) you are looking at hefty price tag just to replace the damaged parts and pray it didn't affect the track or trains themselves. Each car would need a flexible receptacle for curved fins, yes? Impulse work the same as the Intamin standard launch coaster? I think it may work better for an actual circuit coaster instead of a forward/reverse ride. But that's just me.

Realistic? Potentially, yes. I would work on the ride as an experiment and if it turns out well, maybe consider releasing it. I like the idea overall. So do whatcha want. And if your raters can't factor in that the builder is using his/her imagination (fantasy) when designing any ride, then love 'em. Not literally of course.

Post March 28th, 2011, 2:57 am

Points on hand: 1,341.00 Points

Originally posted by Yaminub

Why cant you just use BENDING lims. Who says nobody cant develop fins with enough magnetic content (or whatever) to actually be effective.

because if the fins are that flexible that they bend as they hit curves then bearing the full brunt of the trains forces in order to propel or stop would certainly be enough to cause them to buckle or tear. Not to mention the flexible material would have to be somewhat stretchy, otherwise the bending would cause the fins to crack over time as bending changes the surface area right? Therefore they would basically be ripping themselves out of the sockets on every launch as they stretch to bear the weight of the entire train.

Now for those that think lims don't bear the weight of the train look at it from this "Saw Trap" example.

If V2 has its brakes off can you as a human pull the train? Easily. Now if you are strapped to a truck and you arms are handcuffed to the train, and we punch the truck from 0 - 45 in 3 seconds, do you think that the train would match us in speed before your arms are gone? Prolly not. Lims must be rigid and totally fixed. Its not just the magnetism involved. Imagine what those LIMS go through on the vertical hold.... WHEW

*edit
Anyway, I REALLY think you should lock this, hurry up and finish it so we can ride this because we are all going to anyway

Post March 28th, 2011, 12:48 pm

Points on hand: 143.00 Points
Bank: 3,000.00 Points
Just pretend that S & S make impulse coasters and use a compressed air launch.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011
Originally posted by richie5126
T: all newtons on this site are smooth so this must be high.

Post March 28th, 2011, 1:09 pm
RideWarriorNation User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,533.40 Points
Originally posted by Metazoanhaddock

watch him start this project then give up after a while...
do i hear $15?

Post March 28th, 2011, 7:12 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Wouldn't bending the fins dick with the magnetic field or is that irrelevant because of right hand ruley stuff?

hehe you should make a solenoid
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

PreviousNext

Return to No Limits Coaster