Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Intamin Rails

Intamin Rails

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post December 29th, 2004, 2:02 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
one of my friends was building a Intamin coaster, and we started arguing over what parts of the ride should be what rail type. He later Emailed Intamin and this is what he got back

I*****: Intamin uses quad track when there G'S have an excess of 3+ or have speeds of about 50mph or more

*****: the 2-rail is for the break runs, for the trains to slow down, and stuff, but they say 2 rail track..needs more supports in an area to hols it up
*****: look at supermans helix for example

******: quad track ususes less supports
*****: since it's so bulky
&*****: like SR tophat for example

***: but this is what they said
*****: that a coaster can be
****: built using any track
****: it's only the supports
****: and stuff
**: and stress places

****: to keep cost down, they wud put quad track in more stressfull places of the track, and usually the rest of the track is tri track, instead of the breakrun and crap

Post December 29th, 2004, 3:38 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
thanks for the info [:)] I can use it on my upcoming rides...[:)]

Post December 29th, 2004, 5:45 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
I would like to see the email before I believe these. They seem correct, but Id like to see the actual email. That seems like a weak amount of information.

Post December 29th, 2004, 6:05 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

^ dangit, I was hoping you were going to solve this problem. [:(]

Post December 29th, 2004, 8:35 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Well heres my take from CS that I posted...

==================================================

I like to think that in MF's case, it comes down to how the track transfers the force.

Examine the point at which the supports connect to the track.

On a Quad track, it connects to a flat plate
http://www.rcdb.com/ig594.htm?picture=17

On Tri track, it connects to a tube which extends to the top rails.
http://www.rcdb.com/ig594.htm?picture=9

Bi track connects to a single tie
http://www.rcdb.com/ig699.htm?picture=1

For me, Ive figured that theres a delicate balancing act of the cost and the calculation. MF uses the Quad track where the G's actually ARENT the highest, but rather, where the track is pretty high in the air. For MF's sake, its safe to assume that it cost less to use the Quad track with less huge supports than it was with tri track and lots more supports.

On MF they also use Tri track where G's seem to be at the highest. The best of the drop and the long, fact turn before the 180ft hill. For the drop I can only figure its a matter of how to transfer energy. Those trains are immensly heavy and knowing how triangles work, its a good assumption to claim that its wiser to use the tri track there for 2 reasons:

1. Close to the ground, which means less support
2. The track shape transfers energy from the rails straight through the V shape it creates passing it nicely into the support and into the footer.

Though, a monkey wrench comes in when you look at the Intamin Rocket Coasters. These trains are a fraction of the weight and even Storm Runner which is slower and most likly pulls less G's in the drop out of the Snake Dive, it switches from Tri track to Quad track in a high G area. Why? Who knows, it does span the water way at that point so we could use the theory about that track being used to span larger or higher areas with less support.

I also sense the Quad track used in areas of high speed and turns. Yes, the lateral force on the rider is usually very low, but reguardless, the track and supports are probably under immense lateral forces. The Quad track would seem to handle it all much better and that also seems to be the case. Even when verticals and laterals are weak, the structure may undergo alot of lateral force, such as MF's last overbank. Not fast at all, but, the train probably does a number on the track and supports because of the motion.

Theres alot to be said and hypothesized about concerning this issue.
My rules of thumb:

Use Quad If:
1. Track navigates large span with less supports
2. Track goes under moderate-large lateral + vertical forces

Use Tri If:
1. Track pulls between 2+ and 4+ G's but under -+1 laterals and in most cases, the laterals are nearer to the ground
2. Track is curved, but pulls under 4+ G's for extended period of time
3. Track is under 150ft. Almost all track under 150 can be Tri track if supported properly reguardless of G's. Laterals should be kept low.

Use Bi If:
1. Its under 75ft and doesnt fall into the other categories. The SROS clones use this in their helicies, but those I hear are very weak. Under 2G's perhaps. But you notice most everywhere else they use tri for the reasons above.

Those are just my own guidelines. They seem to produce tracks that have realistic track changes.

Post December 30th, 2004, 3:43 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

I shall take a note of it, good oservations, they seem realistic on Quatro, so I think I'll listen to you.

Return to No Limits Coaster