Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Interesting article on Canadian & American drivers

Interesting article on Canadian & American drivers

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

I picked up my issue of Road and Track the other day and while they had a great article on the Porsche Ruf Rt 12, I was really interested in a column comparing American to Canadian driving...

When our motorcycle came over the rise and around the corner, I laughed out loud for a brief moment, then put my head down on the gas tank in the standard gesture of despair and defeat.

Ahead of us on this beautiful, curving, double-yellow roller coaster of a road along the rugged shores of Quebec were four slow-moving vehicles. They were, in this order: a large motorhome, a cop car and two big motorcycles. The motorcycles were pulling trailers.

I flipped up my face shield and turned to Barb, who was riding behind me. "Unbelievable!" I shouted over my shoulder. "Four of the most difficult-to-pass vehicles on Earth! And all in one group! It's like a bad cartoon!"

Barb patted me on the shoulder, by way of calming consolation. We could be stuck in this little train for many miles, unless we invented some excuse to stop and get off the bike. Maybe it was time to pull over at a scenic overlook. Get out a deck of cards, perhaps, or just finish medical school.

But wait! We didn't have to. This was Canada!

First, the police car turned off at the next little village. He was actually the only cop we'd seen in 2000 miles of riding through Ontario and Quebec.

Then the motorhome put on its turn signal and ran down the shoulder at a wide spot in the road, waving us past.

Without a cop and a motorhome, the motorcycles with trailers were easy to pass. They moved politely over to the right side of our lane and we glided by and waved. I noted that all four of these vehicles had Canadian plates.

These people were watching their mirrors! And they knew exactly what to do.

If this had happened in the U.S., we'd still be out there somewhere, following that same parade. Canadians, like most Europeans, not only have mirrors, but look at them once in a while. An art form almost entirely lost in the States.

Am I making a sweeping generalization here?

Perhaps, but recent personal experience tells me I'm not too far off the mark.

Barb and I just returned this Sunday to our home in Wisconsin, you see, from a 4000-mile motorcycle trip through eastern Canada to the Gasp????????? Peninsula on the Atlantic coast. We came home diagonally across New England and upstate New York. The last day, we took the Interstate home across Indiana and through Chicago to make time.

And we did make time, of course, until we hit the tollbooths around Chicago. These were backed up for miles in both directions. The last tollbooth in Illinois had southbound traffic stalled for at least five miles into Wisconsin.

Why the people of Illinois put up with this, I have no idea. Why would you pay your own highway department to bottleneck traffic, impede commerce, repel tourism, waste fuel, smog the air and make you late for vacation and work? Do the voting citizens consider this a valuable government service?

The whole highway system around Chicago is a national disgrace, but don't get me started. I might tell you what I really think.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp ... le_id=2941

Post November 29th, 2005, 11:19 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
lol...but I dont move over for motorcycles just so they can speed around stretches of land that may be fun.

If I had that attitude I would have to expect everyone else to look out for me in my '99 Olds Alero. It may suck and may be an automatic v6 but I still love curvy roads and I would still go fast. But I dont.

And about the toll roads. Those only exist in areas where traffic has outgrown the toll booths. Here in Ohio they have been completely revamping our toll booths and widening it to 3 lanes.

Alot of it is just isolated incidents or just areas that have outgrown their roads. I think its a bit disturbing that a Canadian, those who are usually dont make such generalizations is generalizing very, very badly here.

Post November 30th, 2005, 12:19 am

Points on hand: 2,336.00 Points
I am Canadian, and this is true, when I went to the U.S. of A. I had fun watching you guys drive. YOU ARE ALL INSANE!!!! I didnt see one person use their blinker!! It was all random cars going everywhere without warning, mirrors seemed to be decorative and you only focus on getting from A to B, and never about other drivers and cars. In Canada we all use blinkers, using blinkers is like a sacred code of driving here, along with mirrors, and having all the people in slower cars in the rightmost lane and the slowest in the left. As I watched how some people dont even glance before their turn or cross in the U.S. I got scared jsut sitting in a car near one of these drivers!!! The test at the DMV (is that what the aycronom for it?) must be real easy.

Post November 30th, 2005, 12:31 am

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
Chicago's toll booths are kinda jacked up to begin with, and its a huge city. Not everyones toll system is as messed up. The Ohio and Indiana turnpikes are quite nice. But American Drivers PALE in comparison to what I saw when I visited Rome. They are crazy.

Post November 30th, 2005, 1:22 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
^^Again, Im suprised you are generalizing SO badly.

I do alot of my driving on I-75 which is a MAIN route for people coming out of Canada near Toronto to take when going south. I see at least 2-3 Ontario plates on my way to work and they drive JUST as crazy or more crazy than drivers around me. They still switch lanes without signaling like alot of people and in most cases they drove well above the speed limit. Its 65mph and I usually do 5 over so Im at 70 and I find them passing me far more than I pass them.

Its not the case for everyone, but dont assume all people from a given area all drive the same. Especially when you have someone like me who pays attention to everyone on the roads - especially people with out of state/country plates ;)

Post November 30th, 2005, 1:27 am

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
The one toll road I've been on in my state is never busy. And they also have and express toll system with a transponder on the windshield that allows you to pass through the toll booth without stopping. But that road is never busy.

Post November 30th, 2005, 1:33 am

Not sure if all of you saw the second and third page...

second page
Except for that short stretch of manufactured hell, however, it was a beautiful trip, with very few dull roads. And we rode all day long for 12 days, so we had plenty of time to contemplate the nature of the traffic around us. To compare and contrast, as my freshman History teacher used to say so chillingly in our semester exams.

So, herewith, a few observations:

In Canada, generally, the speed limits seem artificially low ????????? typically, 90 km/h (close to our 55 mph) out on the open road ????????? but everyone drives fast. Traffic on divided highways moves along at 80-90 mph, and hardly anyone with a fully functional vehicle is traveling at less than 70 mph on a two-lane road, unless it's very curvy or in a built-up area.

Yet these same "speeders" almost always slow down to a reasonable, safe speed in towns and villages. In other words, they drive at safe and prudent speeds for the conditions around them. When speed is harmless, they go fast; when it's risky, they slow down. They watch their mirrors, and on multiple-lane roads stay right except to pass. There's a maturity of judgment here ????????? a sense of swiftness and dispatch without aggression ????????? that seems totally at odds with the American driving experience. And yet there don't seem to be any cops ????????? anywhere ????????? to enforce this attitude. It's kind of like...Heaven.

Then you cross back into the U.S. and things change. The traffic gets slower, plodding drivers become more truculent (or maybe even recalcitrant), everyone drives in the left lane on the Interstate, and every other small town seems to have a cop running a radar trap. Suddenly, highway patrol cars appear in the flow of traffic.

To go from Canada (or England, France, Germany or Italy) into the U.S. is to feel exactly as if you've been demoted from adulthood and sent back to first grade, complete with hall monitors, teachers, lunch lines and slow-to-mature classmates who are still struggling with coat zippers and shoelace technology.

As an adult American driver, you feel you've been placed in a school desk adjusted too low for your knees.

Why is this?

There are, I believe, three basic forces at work here: Obliviousness, Sloth and Self-Righteousness. Yes, the Three Deadly Traffic Sins. The problem is, it's hard to know where one ends and the other begins.

For instance, you are following a motorhome on a winding road and the driver, who is averaging about 37 mph, has 43 cars backed up behind him, yet never uses a pull-out. Does this driver simply not see the other cars because he never checks the mirrors, or does he think 37 mph is plenty fast enough for anyone? Or is he simply worn out with the effort of pulling over every five miles on a 2000-mile journey around the U.S.? Maybe he's a kind of vampire in reverse, who sees only his own image in the mirror. Everything else is invisible.

Hard to tell, but in most parts of the civilized world (such as Canada) this guy can usually be counted on to pull over and make passing room at the first reasonable opportunity.

third page

Not so in the U.S., where you might follow this driver in a long parade all the way from Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek, or until his refrigerator runs out of propane.

Interstates raise similar questions. When a car paces itself with a slow-moving semi (as we saw at least a dozen times on our recent vacation) and refuses to pass, does the driver not see all those cars in the mirror? Or do we have a self-appointed amateur cop on our hands, who thinks it's immoral to go faster than 64 mph?

My guess is the driver is simply too lazy to pass the truck, disengage cruise control or put on a turn signal and move over. This would require physical motion, as well as a small amount of judgment. It's just too much work. Besides, in the right lane you have to deal with merging traffic. Better to stay in the left lane all day, and let people sweep around on the right. If they can.

This sort of lethargy has led to an interesting condition on American I-roads: Our Interstates have now reversed themselves.

Yes, the right lane has become the fast lane, while traffic moves in a solid, slow train on the left. Barb and I breezed almost all the way across Indiana in the right lane of I-80/90, passing bumper-to-bumper traffic on our left. Occasionally we had to merge left and go around a slow car, only to observe a full mile or two of absolutely empty right lane. But no one would move over, probably for fear of having to make a passing decision sometime in the future. Or being cut off and losing a place to someone else. It's amazing. On a busy highway, nearly half the pavement goes unused.

I don't know what you do to change this. I suggested in a column a few years ago that we needed more emphasis on lane discipline in our high school driver's education courses. Students could be asked to repeat, at least three times a day, "Stay right except to pass," and that phrase could be emblazoned over the classroom door. I got several letters informing me that I was revealing my old age. "There are no driver's ed courses in most high schools any more," I was told. "It's a thing of the past."

That's too bad. How do you disseminate a cultural idea when there's no mechanism to do so?

Private driver's schools? Peer pressure? Tradition? I don't know. Maybe these are all questions of natural courtesy that can't be taught.

My old friend and former R&T colleague Rich Homan used to say there were two kinds of people in the world, those who notice things and those who don't. (I seem to remember he ascribed this original observation to Lord Buckley, but I'm not sure). People who notice things, Rich said, will look to see if someone else is following them through a door and hold it open. Those who don't will let it swing shut in your face.

Maybe we need a national windshield sticker, one that reads backward, like an ambulance sign, so it can be read in the rearview mirror.

It would simply say, "notice things." Just like that, in small letters. No caps.

Type size is immaterial, of course, as our target audience won't see it anyway.

I can't write a full response to the article at this time or a response to anything that anyone has said, but I didn't think the toll thing was that big of an issue in the article, he only named one specific one and IMO wasn't the main point of the article lol. That might have been partially my fault though for not posting all three pages...

Post November 30th, 2005, 1:59 am

Points on hand: 2,336.00 Points
There are Canadian drivers that drive good and bad, and their are American drivers that drive good and bad.

Post November 30th, 2005, 2:31 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Dragon Fly

I am Canadian, and this is true, when I went to the U.S. of A. I had fun watching you guys drive. YOU ARE ALL INSANE!!!! I didnt see one person use their blinker!! It was all random cars going everywhere without warning, mirrors seemed to be decorative and you only focus on getting from A to B, and never about other drivers and cars.

Don't complain about american, it's probably 10 times worse in here! Also everyone doing stuff without showing where that person is moving to.

Post November 30th, 2005, 2:52 am

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
From what I've noticed, in my area there are overly and underly aggressive drivers. Overly agressive drivers typically drive a fast car with a big engine, or a ricer with a huge ass muffler on it. In my town you cant go a block without seeing a Camero, Dodge Ram, and a Mustang, most people driving said vehicles are rather agressive.

Funny story, my town installed a traffic circle recently. Why, I have no clue, guess it adds a sense of prestige to the park its near I guess. But whenever I go through it and another car is around, its almost always a laughing riot at how people don't know how to drive in it. I'm glad its not a busy intersection becuase the mass confussion of the concept of yielding isn't known around here. People stop in the traffic circle and wait for others to enter. Thats how bad it is.

Post November 30th, 2005, 4:02 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

[lol] Come to California, we will teach you all some crafty driving. You'll get motorcycles boxing you in. Motorcycles 6 inches from your left and right mirror. Motorcycles going between cars in traffic merging lanes. you'll get your slow folk in the left lane which most of the time get rear ended out of traffic or beep, flashed and what not so they move out. We are literally insane here. From the two people I have met, one livinh in Ohio and the other in Alabama, all have told me we are wild here and one even said he was scared of driving on the freeways [lol] Now, for those of you who have experienced California driving, multiply it by 10 and you'll see what it's like south of the border. Even I am scared of driving in TJ.

Post December 1st, 2005, 12:52 am

^Also in California you'll get freeways with 8 lanes each way that are totally packed and bumper to bumper.

Post December 1st, 2005, 3:44 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

the widest lane freeway I have seen is the 5 freeway stretch from la palma to tustin or so, haven't seen any 8 wide lane freeways.

Post December 1st, 2005, 7:25 pm

The 405 is eight lanes wide in a few places and I've driven on it when it was fully clogged.

Post December 1st, 2005, 8:22 pm

[lol] Just wait until you all come to Toronto and drive on the 401 (busiest highway in the world) on its complete mess of 12 wide lanes, in one direction. In some places it has over 20 lanes[xx(][pdie][shocked][shocked]

Post December 1st, 2005, 8:37 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Post December 1st, 2005, 8:43 pm

Originally posted by Fornication Nation

Just wait until you all come to Toronto and drive on the 401 (busiest highway in the world) on its complete mess of 12 wide lanes, in one direction. In some places it has over 20 lanes

Got any pics FN?

Post December 1st, 2005, 8:43 pm

Not twenty each way, I think I wrote that last part wrong...20 as in total of both sides

^I don't have a picture of the widest part and couldn't find any, but here is an old picture. In this current spot right now, there is contruction adding more lanes

During the week ALL the freeways in Toronto are pretty much bumper to bumper, 35 km/h all day long...

Post December 1st, 2005, 10:31 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
The whole problem with the data is that the number of immigrants who don't know how to drive is radically larger in the USA than Canada. You need to judge this on an even scale, right now the odds are HEAVILY against the USA.

Post December 1st, 2005, 10:59 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

No Offense to Immigrants but they have NO idea how to drive in the snow and thats why the highways are so congested right now...... even though there is no snow right now so I guess they just drive bad in general.

P.S. No offense but Chinese people drive the worst.

Return to Off Topic Discussion