Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Intimidator. Kings Dominion vs Carowinds.

Intimidator. Kings Dominion vs Carowinds.

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 30th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Points on hand: 1,157.00 Points
If you're living around this area or plan to go to one of these parks, which one are you most excited about.

I actually think Carowinds has the more solid, well-rounded, more complete thrill ride. I think its a good idea for Carowinds to get a classic B&M Hyper rather than an Intamin speed machine. To go from what is available in the mid southeast to a Millenium Force is a bit too much so the B&M Hyper is a better match.

I also think its a good match for Kings Dominion to get a Intamin Giga. We don't need another Apollo's Chariot in Virginia so we get the thrill of Millenium Force and something new. Its shorter and goes more for speed and intensity rather than a well-designed ride, but we already got an excellent hyper about 70 miles away from Kings Dominion. Don't need another one.

Post October 4th, 2009, 6:53 pm

Points on hand: 761.00 Points
Well, for one, Carowinds' Intimidator will not be just another Apollo's Chariot. It looks to be a very exciting ride with exclusive elements. I personally favor it, as I have had only terrible experiences with Intamin coasters of this type. Those new OTSR's are love horrid, they bruised my thighs big time on Maverick. I'm not looking forward to more pain. Drops on Intamin giga's don't even have good negative G's, so the height is no matter.

Post October 4th, 2009, 7:38 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by pali_gap

Well, for one, Carowinds' Intimidator will not be just another Apollo's Chariot. It looks to be a very exciting ride with exclusive elements.

If by exclusive elements you mean a lame ass hill with an S curve going down, a gentler version of Behemoth's turnaround, and a MCBR that leads straight into a helix that the ride just ends after, then sure it's unique as hell.

Originally posted by pali_gap
I personally favor it, as I have had only terrible experiences with Intamin coasters of this type. Those new OTSR's are love horrid, they bruised my thighs big time on Maverick. I'm not looking forward to more pain. Drops on Intamin giga's don't even have good negative G's, so the height is no matter.

Sounds like someone is jealous they didn't get the giga coaster. If you got your thighs bruised, I honestly don't know what to tell you besides that you're either morbidly obese or that you bruise way to easily, because that ride should not have caused you any pain in any way at all.

Honestly Intimidator looks like either the worst, second worst, or third worst B&M hyper. Hollywood Dream and Raging Bull may give it a run for its money in terms of sheer crappiness.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post October 4th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
For what Hollywood Dream is, I'd say it's probably a really good ride. Those midsized B&M hills often seem to be by far the best ones on larger B&Ms like Nitro and Raging Bull, so maybe that applies with that ride. It also has some transitions unique to B&M that look like fun, over around the first turnaround.

There's only one Intamin giga of this style, so you can't really say drops of this style don't have good negative g's since it's not much of a "style" with only one, 10 year old ride existing. I guarantee you this ride will have stronger forces on the hills/drops anyways. Fairly certain they won't be El Toro strength, but rather somewhere between MF and El Toro. Plus the duration will be really long for at least the first drop and hill, and that's an added perk.

I really think KD's ride will be underrated until people actually ride it. I don't think McVeens video captured the speed this thing will maintain, and the forces on the turns, hills, and S transitions don't really seem to show in the computer animation. Even though it isn't the prettiest layout, I expect it'll be known as one of the top rides in the world...a different experience but on the level Bizarro SFNE, El Toro, and EGF, and exceeding the excitement of Millennium Force.

And yeah, I've been squished on Intamin rides...including Kingda Ka and Storm Runner, and have never felt any pain at all. Man up lol.

Post October 4th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Points on hand: 1,400.00 Points
The only thing that disappointed me about the KD intimidator ride was its lack of overbanked turns which was my favorite part of MF. Also it looks to have some of those killer banking transitions like on maverick which basically impaled my neck, although not to the point of bruising was still uncomfortable enough to make me consider not taking a second ride.
Gimme a good coaster and nobody gets hurt.

Post October 4th, 2009, 11:54 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
I think I would take B&M's. Intamin's design seems all about just speed and quick turns. I prefer airtime and hills.

Post October 5th, 2009, 12:06 am

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

I am not going to say anything because I have not ridden either of them so I have no idea what the ride experience is on either of them.

Post October 5th, 2009, 12:11 am

Yes you do, you know KD's will have much faster pacing, quicker twists, a steeper drop, and stronger forces (at least negatives), whereas you also know that Carowinds' will have lots of floater airtime, more hills in succession and overall, and lapbars. How is that not knowing anything?

Post October 5th, 2009, 12:19 am

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

I barely know the feeling of a B&M hyper, the only one I've ridden is Raging Bull. The only Intamin Coaster at all I've ridden is V2. I've never ridden a coaster with those new Intamin lap bars/ OSTR's and I've never tried a hyper with B&M's new trains.

Post October 5th, 2009, 6:55 am

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I've never been on a B&M hyper either, and my only Intamin is possesed, because I never get to go to hershey in the summertime
What are these for?

Post October 5th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Oh ok, yeah neither ride is a good indicator of what the company is like now...especially that Intamin. I like V2, but it pales in comparison to the Intamin hyper style rides I've been on (including El Toro, since it's the same ride style, just wooden). Raging Bull is also probably as different from Carowinds' coaster as you can get within the B&M hyper style.

Post October 5th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
hmmm, I've never been on a Giga or BM Hyper.
However i have been on an 2 Intamin's with OTSR's [Baco and Rita] and have been on 2 Intamin Hypers [EGF and Goliath] I will say that I305 looks better, I know its not an Airtime machine, its made for speed. Intimidator @ CW looks to be one of the worst BM hyper, I doubt i'll ever go on either though :(
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Post October 5th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Points on hand: 1,400.00 Points
I actually prefered the Apollos chariot style air time machines to the Millenium force speed machine, although the MF has a far superior first drop.
Gimme a good coaster and nobody gets hurt.

Post October 5th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Points on hand: 761.00 Points
Well, for one, I'm not morbidly obese, nor do I have osteogenesis imperfecta, it just happens that those restraints are painful as love. Why can't they make the lap bars comfortable, like on Millennium Force and TTD?

Return to General Theme Park Discussions