Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Kodiak - Old contest entry

Kodiak - Old contest entry

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post August 6th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

Image Insert:
570.95 KB

My 2nd place entry to the 2006 NL tournament, Kodiak, a Gravity Group wooden coaster inspired by The Voyage. It didn't get uploaded before because I was never really happy with it, and didn't feel it was up to my usual standard. It was my first and only woodie, so the trackwork wasn't great and due to time restraints the theming was minimal at best.

Anyone think it's worth an upload anyway after all these years?

Also, where are all the cool kids posting their screenshots these days, now that the NLDC is gone?
Last edited by Wing-Over on August 6th, 2011, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post August 6th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Points on hand: 1,433.00 Points

Post August 6th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Originally posted by Wing-Over

Anyone think it's worth an upload anyway after all these years?

Yeah, no matter how new you were to woodies and how old the track is, I have confidence it'll be in the top 5 out of the next 50 or so uploads hahaha. We don't get much for gems these days.

Also, where are all the cool kids posting their screenshots these days, now that the NLDC is gone?

The thread heh.

Post August 6th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points

Post August 7th, 2011, 6:16 am
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
Originally posted by Wing-Over

Also, where are all the cool kids posting their screen shots these days, now that the NLDC is gone?

To my knowledge there is no central site like NLDC to host projects any more. Feel free to post all the screen shots you like in the Hard Hat Area and have a thread per ride.

I think you should upload this myself, looks nice from the screen shot.

Post August 7th, 2011, 7:37 am

Originally posted by GavG

To my knowledge there is no central site like NLDC to host projects any more. Feel free to post all the screen shots you like in the Hard Hat Area and have a thread per ride.

Shame, it was a great place to organise projects and screenshots. Ah well, here's a few more anyway.

Image Insert:
462.27 KB

Image Insert:
488.97 KB

Image Insert:
451.18 KB

Post August 7th, 2011, 10:02 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Looks a little heavy on the positives and the supports look a bit ridiculous in the turns. Can't you do this?

http://www.rcdb.com/3231.htm?p=15713

* "This" refers to having a box truss and then a diagonal beam in the same area so it looks less ummmmm, nuts.

EDIT: Urgh sideways hills
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 7th, 2011, 10:57 am

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
Yes, wingover, if you have any sort of banked airtime element on a ride these days, the site will forever hate you with a huge passion. Personally i wont because i have an open mind and people can do what they want, but other less willing people shun originality and especially sideways air hills. (coasterkidmwm).

Post August 7th, 2011, 11:53 am

Lol yeah I'm with Mike, I think there are still ways you can use certain elements that have been used over and over to your advantage with originality.

Realistically (which is weird because Coasterkidmwm usually thinks he's the bee's knees with realism lmao) Gravity Group used the outward banked hills several times in many different manners! And overall Wing-Over the ride looks like it will be fun.

You're one of the more skilled when it comes to your eye of aesthetically pleasant appearances on your rides- I just think your lateral bracing system is a bit obnoxious. They don't need to go out so far from the track on all of those turns, it becomes a bit too contrasting. I'm referring more to your turns lower to the ground, like the turns in your first picture in the thread, and in that second picture in your most recent post.

These lateral brace supports look magnificent and appropriate and HOLY ASS that hill looks beautiful!!!!

Post August 7th, 2011, 12:09 pm

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Looks a little heavy on the positives and the supports look a bit ridiculous in the turns. Can't you do this?

http://www.rcdb.com/3231.htm?p=15713

* "This" refers to having a box truss and then a diagonal beam in the same area so it looks less ummmmm, nuts.

Yeah, I know the supports aren't great. Just another thing I wasn't able to do as well as I wanted due to the time restraints of the contest.

Edit: If it's just a simple matter of moving the braces a bit closer to the track, I might be able to do something about it, but I'm not up for doing loads of support work on it now.

Post August 7th, 2011, 12:21 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
Gravity Group used the outward banked hills several times in many different manners!

Prove it. The weird bumpy bits on Hades and Voyage are very different than the garbage newton and FVD spits out.

All real life examples I've seen are shaped totally different than this. If you're going to say I'm being excessive or whatever, do it when the hill I'm criticizing is shaped at least somewhat close to correctly. In this case it isn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQfTykPA ... age#t=116s

The part at 2 minutes is barely even a hill and was probably originally a turn that they had banked the opposite way and changed later on because the PTC's couldn't handle it or something.

The outer banked turn on Hades is barely even 20 degrees.

Weird banking =/= weird shaping

Image Insert:
482.99 KB

I can see why you wouldn't want to mess around with the supports much Wing-Over. They look fine pretty much everywhere else at least :)

Post August 7th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Sorry, aggressively constructive debates no longer allowed.

Post August 7th, 2011, 12:50 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy
I was simply stating that realistically it is not wrong to use outward banked elements since Gravity Group tossed out different variations of the idea.

You are so crude to halt at any out-of-the-box thinking that you would only accept EXACT matches of the elements used on Voyage and Hades.

:-(

It's banked over two times as much as anything they've done and very different. I don't really see how I'm being nasty by saying it's not right or close to what they do at all when it is. The banking and vertical relief are practically double what is done on Voyage, and the thing on Hades is pretty much a flat turn.

I guess I'm sorry that doubling every aspect of the element seems a bit extreme to me.

Post August 7th, 2011, 12:59 pm

Sorry, aggressively constructive debates no longer allowed.

Post August 7th, 2011, 1:12 pm
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
Right Coasterkidmwm and GerstlCrazy can you take this elsewhere and not hi jack Wing-Over's thread.

Thank You.

Post August 7th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Yes, it is exagerated compared to what is on the Voyage (33 degrees, so not quite double) but it was never intended to be an exact copy, just an extension of the concept. And this was made long before newton or even FVD existed.

Anyway back on topic, does this look any better? If it's at least passable, I'll go with that since it won't take me too long to do that to the other few turns that are supported like that.

Image Insert:
456.85 KB

Post August 7th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Post August 7th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points

Post August 7th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Thanks for the input guys, the rest of those supports have now been tweaked accordingly. They're still far from perfect, but at least they look slightly more balanced now. Anything more would just require far too much work.

Hopefully will get it uploaded some time tomorrow.

Post August 8th, 2011, 12:08 am

^I hear you dude. Sounds to me like you had an old ride that you (as well as we) think may be worthwhile to upload. Not necessary to spend too much extra time on it if you just wanna get it out on the exchange.

Rather you move on to the future any way =D

Post August 8th, 2011, 9:22 am

Return to Hard Hat Area