Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Lake Compounce and Boulder Dash

Lake Compounce and Boulder Dash

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post August 10th, 2009, 11:18 am

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Hello all.

Just returned from a week long trip to New England.

My main trip was to Martha's Vineyard, but on my way up we stopped at LC. I chose LC over SFNE when my parents asked which I'd like to go to, and I chose LC because it's smaller and who knows what all these small parks are doing with the economy. I have to say, I was absolutely floored but how fast Boulder Dash was and I am totally in love with that ride right now. I guess I would like to ask to see what your thoughts are on Boulder Dash with it being such a highly rated coaster in so many polls (and from my view anyway, deserving of those high marks). I also love the Beast at KI and I know a few people dislike the Beast, but most people I know speak highly of both. I've been on both twice (once near the front at daytime, and once in the back at night for both coasters) and I think while they are different rides entirey, they still compare in that "run thru the woods never let up" kind of ride.

If you have been on both, what are your thoughts on how they compare?
If you have been on one, what are your thoughts and do you wish to ride the other?
If neither, what have you heard about them each???

Thanks guys!!!
Last edited by dmillz on August 10th, 2009, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post August 10th, 2009, 11:56 am

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Boulder Dash is my favorite coaster and has been since I started this hobby, and nothing has come close since (even Voyage). The ride has only improved since GCI did their thing with it which made it much faster and more intense. The best rides I ever had on it came last October for Haunted Graveyard where it gets dark at 5:30 and they run it til 11. It was maybe 45* and the ride was just running flat out crazy, the the cold just added to the intensity. Add in ride attendants who were being very liberal with lapbar positions and around 10 marathon rides (we did 16 or 17 total that night) and that I think was Dash in it's best form.

Beast on the other hand is not my kind of ride. I found it to be rather boring and uneventful, even at night. I have Beast ranked at 32 for wood as opposed to Dash's 1. The trims hurt it a lot for me but the layout itself is somewhat bland.....I get the whole "speeding up" thing but all those straightaways aren't for me.

I also love LC as a park, it's and Indiana Beach are my two favorites for very different reasons. I love LC's relaxed atmosphere.

Post August 10th, 2009, 4:45 pm

I loved LC in general as well. And I noticed that even in the back the ride was relatively smooth and just as smooth if not smoother in the back. So I say the work that was done to it deff. was worth it. During the day its Dash hands down, but for me the Beast experience at night is deff. making it close, so I call it a tie personally. HAHA

Post August 10th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Dash is the best ride I've been on by a clear mile...#1 out of 217. The speed, setting, airtime, lats, pacing, etc etc etc is so amazing...thats everything.

Post August 10th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Dash is most definitely a night ride....but it's a front seat night ride.

Post August 10th, 2009, 6:00 pm

See I did it in the back at night like I did the Beast. Dash was more of a complete ride then the Beast I guess you could say since Beast it all straight runs, but still 2 awesome coasters.

Post August 10th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

I agree that Dash is better in the front...and exponentially better at night. It is still kickass at day though, don't get me wrong.

Post August 10th, 2009, 11:27 pm

I love the slight turns to keep it hugging the mountain on the return bunny hops...You would never think such a slight turn can give you a jolt like that but you hit them with so much speed. I loved it all.

Post August 11th, 2009, 12:44 am

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Yes man, yes! Boulder Dash is a mile above every other ride I've ever been on since I got to ride it last summer. It's just incredible, everything about it is sooooo SO much fun.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions