Board index Roller Coaster Games Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, 2 & 3 lift hill mcbr's ????

lift hill mcbr's ????

Discuss anything related to the Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, 2 and 3.

Post May 30th, 2004, 10:39 am

Points on hand: 5,725.00 Points

Why are people so divided over the use of lift hill's for making "block sections" ???

Im going to use some examples to talk about differnt ways in which it has been used.

Example 1
my samurai garden:
http://coastercrazy.com/track_exchange/ ... p?tid=4163

Using the lift hill to create a block section on the hill makes it possible to run 3 trains. The train will "NEVER STOP" or break down on the lift hill because I have placed two block brakes in the final brake run. So if it does break down 1 train will be in the station and 2 trains will be in the final brake run area.

Example 2
$kittlz "sake" (sorry skitz for this):
http://coastercrazy.com/track_exchange/ ... p?tid=4163

Here $kittlz uses the lift hill for and mcbr. I find that here it is used incorrectly. You shouldn't rely on the lift hill to pull the train into the next section. The train should have enough speed to clearly make it over. I dont know if it was because you were lazy or prefered the layout over the practicality of the the lift hill. If it can't make it over the hill by itself it is a design flaw. (like I said skitz, sorry. Nice coaster but that lift hill mcbr really brings it down).

Example 3
RCTandy:Twisted Dragon
http://coastercrazy.com/track_exchange/ ... p?tid=3962

This is a strange example, andy has used two lift hills during the layout to allow him to run 3 trains. I personally would of had a block brake and a lift hill near the end of the station so that all 3 trains would be at the end of the layout. If I had uploaded it like andy has I would of scrapped the 2nd last lift hill piece and stuck with just a two train operation.

and last but not least example 4 (finally a steel coaster)
My "Cyber" floorless coaster:
http://coastercrazy.com/track_exchange/ ... p?tid=3884

If you look at the height at which ive placed the lift hill(9m/30ft high) and compare it to the last inversion, (12m/40ft high) it is clearly visible that if the train were to stop on the lift hill it would not make it through that last inversion. Ive countered this by again having 2 block brakes in the final brake run plus a lift hill piece meaning there are 3 "block sections" in the final area alone. This means a train will "NEVER" on the mid course lift hill.

I could use many more example to explain different uses of this new trend, but I won't. Most people would of gotten bored and stopped reading at the end of example 2. Congrats to the people who have made it this far[;)]. I can see you are the ones interested in what I've had to say. In summing up using a lift hill mid course is a "block section" and not a "block brake" meaning you dont intend the train to stop there. If you use a block brake you do intend the train to stop there. So if it were to break down it could,in reality, stop there in a break down situation. By defining these difference would people take note and not slam people for using these lift hills as "block sections".

P.S. : The last comment does not refer to skittlz. I would of slammed him myself for the in-correct use of the lift hill. sorry skitz but it does go too slow and relys on it make it through the layout. I hope you understand. [:)]

P.S.S: I do encourage people if possible to include a normal mcbr. Woodies should be exempt though.
Last edited by DE@NO on May 30th, 2004, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post May 30th, 2004, 2:32 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Post May 30th, 2004, 2:59 pm
qex

Points on hand: 3,629.00 Points
It isthe worng link at Sake;)

I'm very against using lift hills as MCBR. But Andy said that as long as it was impossible to controll the speed on the block brake he will continiue using it. But my point is not that you can't use lift hills. Just don't do it on the top of bunny jumps and such. Build lifts there you would normally make block brakes. You have a straight section like on real coaster, but use lift in sted of block brake if you see what I mean. But building them inthe middle of bunny jumps and other hills is so unrealistic and stupidin my opinion. Then it is bethr to run only two trains. and as DE@NO pointed out, you must have 2 block brakes at the end of the ride. Trains should (almost) never start in the middle of the track.

To what you said about using it as block sections: I think this is a way of cheating to get more trains. but this is bether than using with the intention that it should stop there in an emergency.

It is nice to finally get a discussion on this.

Post May 30th, 2004, 3:34 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Using lift sections on hills can be used for a different purpose besides blocking. Lift sections look and sound like anti-rollback devices, so its a cool representation of them IMO. So if they're not used for blocking, but for anti-rollbacks, then its perfectly fine. And for wood coasters, very few of them have MCBRs, making MCBRs more unrealistic than lift sections [;)]

Post May 31st, 2004, 4:51 am
qex

Points on hand: 3,629.00 Points
Then I think it is bether to have only two trains. And with good timing there is possible to run three trains without blok brake or lift hill segment. On train in the track, one in the lift and one in the station.

Post June 13th, 2004, 11:39 am

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
I think that using a 2nd lift as an MCBR is just plain odd...[confused]

Return to Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, 2 & 3