Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion New Fish Tank

New Fish Tank

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post January 19th, 2008, 1:39 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I bought some live plants and 3 angelfish and I have a new fish tank now. I mostly hope the plants live and don't die. The substrate is flourite (they ain't kidding when they say to wash it many time before using), and I'll be injecting C02 when my silicone tubing arrives from petsmart.com I bought two species of plants so everything looks a bit montotone but if they survive I'll take more clippings from the red plant and maybe add more species later if everything lives.

Any ways the water is still a bit cloudy from the substrate since it's clay based instead of rock based like most, which means the clay particles are much smaller than rock particles and take longer to clump together and sink to the bottom (flocculate) but here is overall idea. Remember I have 3 angelfish in there, they're just tiny and hiding [^].

Image Insert:
1630.47 KB

Post January 19th, 2008, 2:58 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Looks great.

How will you get the CO2 into the water?

Post January 19th, 2008, 3:20 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

You ferment sugar and yeast in a 2 liter bottle and then run an air line into the tank. From that point you either have the bubbles collect in an upsidedown curved object (bottom of a bottle cut off, watch glass, whatever) or run the line into the filter intake. I'm going to try punching a hole in my filter cartridge and letting the bubbles of C02 collect on it so they can diffuse. If that doesn't work I'm stealing a watch glass from the chemistry department.

Post January 19th, 2008, 3:47 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Ah, interesting. I'm guessing too much CO2 will kill the fishies?

Post January 19th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

can't u just buy an air pump? thats what we always had in our tanks

Post January 19th, 2008, 4:54 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

That doesn't put C02 in the tank, that oxygenates the water. With the real plants you want to put C02 in the water and then the plants use that and photosynthesis to put oxygen in the water.

Return to Off Topic Discussion