Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Oceanus: Arrow Looper project (small update: 6/27)

Oceanus: Arrow Looper project (small update: 6/27)

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Points on hand: 1,764.00 Points
The Billboard:
Trackwork: COMPLETE
Supports: Complete
Scenery: Terraforming complete, objects under construction

http://www.NoLimitsDevCenter.net/p5715

This is the very beginning of my latest, and it does look like I will be making Arrow my speciality. A tough one, at that, as keeping the lats in check will always be difficult, but this one is going to be pretty fun.

This project is serving to simply refine and practice Arrow style coasters, not much will be done in terms of "mixing it up". Then again, it is tough to find a good Arrow ride on this site, but my goal for this ride is still ACCURACY, not originality.

Latest update: Batwing re-shaped, corkscrews overhauled with tool-built design (NLDC pics), scenery construction has begun. Oh, and I just inspected and passed the ride on E-Stop. The trains can stop on the MCBR and still finish the course.
Last edited by Thomas Kaira on June 28th, 2009, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post June 7th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Points on hand: 3,207.00 Points

Can you get a shot from the side of your loop? I just want to make sure the shaping is right. The bracing looks good though, make sure you continue it around the loops. Also it looks like you got transition right after the loop, good job. (Where only one tube moves up or down)

Post June 7th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Hey, I remember you, you're the guy who destroyed my GASM! [:D][:D][:D]

Well, glad to see you think I'm doing my transitions right (do you think the banking is too nice, or is it good?). I've added a side profile for the loop, as well.

Post June 8th, 2009, 4:24 am

Nah I didn't destroy it, I rated it toughly and it looks like it helped. [:p]
The banking looks fine so far, just make sure there are some lats to the outside (positive for left-hand turns, and vice versa). Also study some POVs of rides like Shockwave and try to mimic the feel of everything. Your Corkscrew recreation showed some good signs of this so I can tell you're getting better. One more note: using HSAK for turns and even the drop and then editing the element can really turn out nicely.

Post June 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Just checked, that particular turn contains lats up to +1.4g, and so do all the other turns (they are all left-hand so far). And after watching POVs of GASM and viper so many times, I know pretty well the flow that is taken to perform a proper Arrow turn (bank in, turn, bank out). No lead-ins, no heartlining, nothing, just exactly that flow in that order.

Post June 8th, 2009, 1:28 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Loop is better, but it should exit higher. Also the turn doesn't look rigid enough, particularly in the exit.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post June 13th, 2009, 5:30 am

Progress update:

Double loop, MCBR finished.

Batwing is being tested, and is not yet complete.

NLDC updated. Some minor news:

The pre-lift turnaround approach has been abandoned as it would have cause tremendous trouble for the track layout. I have switched over to a direct lift launch.

Post June 14th, 2009, 3:34 am

Points on hand: 392.00 Points
This seems alot like Viper(SFMM) and Great American Scream Machine(SFGAdv). I have yet to see an Arrow with a lift launch. Sounds exciting.

Post June 14th, 2009, 11:53 am

Originally posted by SliSparky

This seems alot like Viper(SFMM) and Great American Scream Machine(SFGAdv). I have yet to see an Arrow with a lift launch. Sounds exciting.

Let me rephrase that...

The train is launched out of the station directly onto the lift hill, just like Viper.

Yes, this ride contains elements of both rides, originality was never going to be a strong part of this ride it is meant to be a sort of tribute.

Anyways, I have nearly finished up the trackwork. I will be updating the NLDC soon.

Quick question however, is 1.7 Lats acceptable on an Arrow, or should I tone those down a little? They are located on the Batwing entry and the Corkscrew entry

Post June 14th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
In my opinion, 1.7 is okay for the entry of an Arrow corkscrew. Don't quote me on it though; let a more Arrow-experienced individual have an opinion on that too.

Post June 14th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Yeah that should really be fine....just think about how hard you get slammed into the lower side of the car on those transitions.

Post June 14th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Just dont forget the zero-lead ins for each element. I wanna feel the jolt of each banking AND each transition. Especially into those loops theres a huge change in the radius and it holds there. Almost circular at the top I believe.

Post June 14th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Points on hand: 65.00 Points

Post June 14th, 2009, 6:03 pm

Hey, no spam posts. Get to 10 meaningfully, or you will get reset.

Updates: NLDC Updated with new pics.

First drop has been altered to make it a little steeper.

Post June 14th, 2009, 8:32 pm

Points on hand: 2,204.00 Points
Wow, great improvement. If you want to study some technique I made an arrow looper like a year and a half ago that was pretty well rated. Its got a lot of the stuff mentioned in this thread. You should look at the double loop as these were quite irregular on the megaloopers. Take a look at Scream Machines and Vortex's loops.

Post June 18th, 2009, 10:31 am

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points

Post June 18th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Originally posted by cool5

The top of your lift is much too small.

I humbly beg to differ. Here:

No way that is "much too small."

Post June 18th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Post June 18th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Points on hand: 2,333.00 Points
Its amazing how this site can improve people's building skills. Looking good [^]

Post June 18th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Points on hand: 1,004.00 Points
The supports look great! You're doing a great job.
Just keep scrolling...

Post June 18th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
Hahaha, reminds me of jensens old arrow project. It was going great, and then he just randomly gave up. Don't pull a jensen!

Post June 18th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Points on hand: 3,691.00 Points
^ well that was because you were helping me with H:sak at that time.
then you stopped hanging out with me for about 4-6 months or so.
so i was kinda left hangin, lol. XD

but yes, this looks great man!!!

Post June 20th, 2009, 3:10 pm

The supports are nearly complete. Before I start with the scenery, I would like to ask if 5 people would be willing to test this ride?

the 1st five posters to reply with interest get the job, and once selected, I will email you the nltrack file. If you do not have your email address posted, send it to me via PM.

I will be adding pics of the nearly finished supports to the NLDC page soon.

Post June 20th, 2009, 3:16 pm

May I test, I want to see how smooth the corks are. Send it to Gutenson@aol.com

Post June 20th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Next

Return to Hard Hat Area