Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions onride videos

onride videos

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post January 30th, 2005, 7:57 am

Points on hand: 3,903.00 Points

how do u do them?

do u just hold on and hope for the best [:p]

Post January 30th, 2005, 8:30 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
as first ask if can are allowed to take the cam on the ride. If they say yes, go ahead and make the onride. put the camera on the right hight and done. As long you keep tight enough on the cam you shouldn't lose it. Do they say NO. Then wait for the next round, put the cam somewhere where you can get it in a few sec and hide it in a few seconds. Also make sure that they don't see it. If you left the station, get the camera and start shooting. If there are camera's on the lift i'd recommer to keep it hide till your on the top. After riding. On the final brake, QUICK put the camera away and drive in and walk out. After the round, talk a look at the onride. [;)]

Post January 30th, 2005, 8:55 am

Points on hand: 1.00 Points
------------
Last edited by DjJavixxxxx on September 9th, 2014, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post January 30th, 2005, 10:13 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
However, Ive never seen anyone ejected from the park for first offense, not even Cedar Point. The worst they have done that I have heard is taken someones tape (not the recorded) and smashed it. So dont have anything on it you may want.

However, Most places just say to "secure" loose articles. Theres plenty of ways to secure some of these tiny mini-dv's and probably be ok with it. Shoot, some of them disappear in your hand they are so small.

Post January 30th, 2005, 10:55 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,224.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

As long as you make sure your camera has a hand strap I reckon it would be fine anyway, because if you got discovered then you could say that it was secure and I'm sure they couldn't disagree. I mean, you have to take your bags with you onto corkscrew at Alton Towers, so it can't be that bad if you take items such as a camera onto a ride.

As for making sure you are filming good film, as in not just looking at your feet lol, then I think it helps if you has a camera with a little screen so you can see exactly what you're filming and you don't end up with the lense cap still on or something [lol]

Post January 30th, 2005, 11:48 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Well if your filming an old wooden coaster, realy you wont have any problems. All i do is securethe camera bag at my feet or too my side and then when going up the left, discretly remove the camera below the level of the train, incase any cameras do pick you up. Start recording before you crest the lift and make sure it is actualy recording and the lense cap is off then just hold the camera up and shoot the ride. Then again as you hit then end brakes, you lower the camera below the train so the ride ops cant see you and place it back into your bag.

Most rollercoasters have CCTV these days but from research i was carrying out at parks like Port Aventura, no one ever looked at the CCTV moniters at all. For the duration of the ride the ride ops just talked to each other and never payed attension to anything.

I would try to stay clear of any ride that clearly stats no photography or cameras to be taken onride, such as Nemesis at Alton Towers as you can get fined and even ejected from the park, there is no excuses for not being able to read the signs, and saying i cant read is not a good excuse>

A classic example of what happens if you pull your camera out too soon on a ride is Phyters Beast @ PKI's attemped onride video over at CS.Com Eager Phyter had his camera out as they left the station, and as the train hit the left hill, it grounded to a halt, where he then had his camera removed

Post January 30th, 2005, 7:52 pm

If you want to increase the quality of your onrides (this is essential for wooden coasters) get a good wide angle lens. None of the cheap ones, or it blurs the edges. A nice quality wide angle lens pulls the focus back and deletes alot of the shaking, especially on wooden coasters. This helps it be more steady and it also increases the sense of speed because its wider.

Post January 31st, 2005, 7:25 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

another tip for onrides, don't try to keep the camera on one spot, but go with your body, like on woodies. That also can help against some nasty onrides, and it will show something more about g's forces. [:)] But remember to hold on the camera TIGHT! You don't want to lose your camera.[;)]

Post January 31st, 2005, 11:16 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

I heard holding up on your chest is a good idea, you know, inbetween your man boobs. is that good advice or does it make it shaky?

Post February 1st, 2005, 12:59 am

I hold it against my chest, minus the man boobs, and it tends to work great. Of course, I use my sisters little Sony digicam thats NOT a camcorder, but takes 640-480 video at 25FPS, not bad for the little guy.

You want to blend the motions of you and the train. Youll get a more realistic looking onride but it wont be reflecting any really nasty jolts. As I said earlier, one way to really cut back is by getting a wide angle lens.

Post February 1st, 2005, 3:06 am

ok thanx for your help ppl[:D]

well i think i might take my phone which has got a camera on it but it is a good one[approve]

Post February 1st, 2005, 7:30 am

Points on hand: 664.00 Points
My sister had her camera attached to a bungee cord that was on the hoodie she was wearing when she rode Raptor. The ride ops saw her and never said anything. She really had no intent of taking onride videos. I know it sounds weird, but I think the ride ops should check more often for people holding or wearing loose articles. My sister did not realize she still had her glasses on until she was at the top of the lift! The problem with a camera is that if it hits the person behind you it can hurt a lot. But as long as you have the camera secure to some part of your body I say go for it.

Post February 1st, 2005, 10:28 am

Yea, I use one of my sisters extra heavy duty hair ties (its more like a really small bungy than a hair tie) and I loop it through the camera hold and around my wrist with a knot that always gets tighter.

It cant come off unless it breaks and thats highly unlikly. I wear my hoodie and it stays up in my wrist so they never see it reguardless. Plus I can tuck it away really fast.

Anyways, most rides just say to SECURE loose articles. If its secure, you havent broken any rules (unless they say no photography :p )

Post February 1st, 2005, 3:46 pm

Points on hand: 2,772.00 Points

well, i am hoping to get a new phone for my birthday, cause i am going to florida in the summer, and i want to take videos of the ShieKra .etc. also you can get these straps for your phone or camera, so then you can wrap it around your wrist and then take it.

Post February 2nd, 2005, 4:08 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

the most phone camera's give a video quality of 160x 120x. A very small size. if your going to make the size then bigger the quality drops.

I'll record my onrides with a simple digital photocamera + video function. I can record about 5 minutes of video. The size of the video will be 320x 240x or the 640x 480x, i'm not sure. I thought 640x 480x. The camera is big enough to fit in my sleeves so i simply drag it on the ride. On the lift getting out without having trouble with my pockets. and record when i'm on the top. Done with shooting. put everything out. and quick hide it on the same spot. Done. [:)]

Post February 2nd, 2005, 4:08 pm

cool, but does it also depend on the amount of pixels as well, if its not a very good camera, it wont turn out right in the video. The phone i hope to get is 3.2 megapixels.

Post February 4th, 2005, 7:14 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
My camera phone does run 640X480 pictures, but the video recorder only does about 10 seconds at a time, and not a real good resolution in videos, it's really choppy. I can tape a basketball game (HS) from the sideline and you can barley tell the people's face. Unless you plan on a 300 dollar phone, dont expect the video to be amazing. (I have a 150$ MOtorola)

Post February 5th, 2005, 7:14 am

well, i live in the United kingdom so it will be alot more expensive than america. There is a phone that is ?????????700 with no sim card, but some are not that expensive, maybe ?????????250 for a good phone, thats can take 1hour of video.

Post February 5th, 2005, 7:20 am

Post February 5th, 2005, 1:10 pm

are you sure on an hour straight?? I'd check that first. My phone holds like 6MB of room but the video just doesn't run constant. But again i dont know about europe, but i'd test the phone out first

Post February 5th, 2005, 1:14 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Im not sure about an hour straight, athough a i actually think the new 3 fone can do that. My fone can tape for 70 seconds or somehting but it speeds the video up slightly.

I have an onride video of Oblivion on my fone, but be careful when taking a video on that. There is a danger of losing your camera easily. Make sure when you are hanging over the verticle drop you keep a tight grip, as when you jolt forward and suddenly start falling, your grip goes slightly because of the sudden shock. Also there is a video camera on top of oblivion to. eek!

Post February 5th, 2005, 2:54 pm

well, apartently the phones in europe are much more advanced than in america, so my friend says.
http://www.thelink.com/martprd/store/li ... =undefined

If you read the key features part is says: "Record up to 60 minutes of video!

Post February 5th, 2005, 3:35 pm

my phone said "record two hours" but that's because of the memory i have, yeah i can record two hours but just not straight

Post February 5th, 2005, 4:30 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

you can get POV's easily at DCA, some rides they force you to take your crap on with you

Post February 6th, 2005, 6:44 am

but then, what if you are recording the coaster, and you accidentally drop your phone or camera? what happens, does the park do anything, or do they not cause it was up to you to bring it on and secure it?

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions