Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Poll: Kumba vs. Montu

Poll: Kumba vs. Montu

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Poll: Kumba vs. Montu

Kumba
50%
Montu
50%

Total votes : 42

Post October 21st, 2009, 12:24 pm

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
So...recently we had a little debate over Kumba and Montu and whats better of the two. Check out these vids to see for yourself.

Lets have a debaccle[|)]

Me: Montu!

Sorry for the screams...they were just perfect.

Kumba-

Last edited by Tidus on October 21st, 2009, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post October 21st, 2009, 6:12 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
I <3 "As the Rush Comes"!
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post October 21st, 2009, 6:17 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
I've ridden them both and i personally liked Kumba a little bit better. I guess it's the loop over the lift that does the trick. Together with that awesome B&M Roar trough the Cobra Roll. <3
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post October 21st, 2009, 6:35 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
Kumba has a tiny little pop of air right before the cobra roll too. it dips down right before it dives up into the roll

Post October 21st, 2009, 8:16 pm

I know, that is almost the clincher for the top for me, and the Cobra afterwards...but, Montu's experience just cannot be beat, the forces and everything, i'm sorry but it tops Kumba just by a little bit...

Post October 21st, 2009, 8:30 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I've been on both many times as well. Kumba. I can't exactly place my finger on it, Kumba just has something that Montu simply doesn't. Again, they're hard to compare side by side so I can't name out anything specific, but it's always been Kumba and it always will be [;)]

Post October 21st, 2009, 9:56 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Gosh, I just love having two top-notch coasters at ONE Theme Park! Throw in Scorpion and SheiKra and you got a park worth coming back to many times. Yay for being a Florida citizen!
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post October 21st, 2009, 10:08 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points

Post October 21st, 2009, 10:18 pm

Originally posted by rcking04

Gosh, I just love having two top-notch coasters at ONE Theme Park! Throw in Scorpion and SheiKra and you got a park worth coming back to many times. Yay for being a Florida citizen!

Uhh, don't forget Gwazi. The Tiger side is the 3rd best ride there [:)]

Post October 21st, 2009, 10:49 pm

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
Kumba for me. Sitdown > Inverted, plus the Zero-G is just orgasmic. One of my best memories from my Florida trip was ~20 stay-on rides in back right on Kumba.

Post October 21st, 2009, 11:02 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,511.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

^that sounds like it was amazing
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post October 22nd, 2009, 1:03 am

Points on hand: 761.00 Points
Montu is a definite win, if for the batwing alone. I swear, the G's going into it are insane. The theming certainly doesn't detract from the experience, either. Kumba's interlocking corkscrews were good fun, but the rest of the ride was rather ordinary.

Post October 22nd, 2009, 1:29 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Kumba. Montu isn't anything special after Afterburn @ Carowinds.

Post October 22nd, 2009, 11:15 am

It's hard to decide I know...

Keep em' coming!

Post October 22nd, 2009, 12:04 pm

Points on hand: 5,850.00 Points

Originally posted by pali_gap

Montu is a definite win, if for the batwing alone. I swear, the G's going into it are insane. The theming certainly doesn't detract from the experience, either. Kumba's interlocking corkscrews were good fun, but the rest of the ride was rather ordinary.

when Kumba was built. it was the first of its kind to have those elements though. so hooray for old B&M's.

in the first video of kumba, it looks pretty pumpy. did B&M heart,line their rides the same back then as they do now?
Dont buy starbucks coffee

its poison

Post October 22nd, 2009, 12:29 pm

To me...Kumba was a good FOUNDATION for better B&M rides...like Montu, just to put it plainly. But there is no doubt that Kumba is an amazing ride to this day, hell, it's as old as I am, 16! That's personal!

Post October 22nd, 2009, 3:13 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Kumba is one of my personal favorite. Montu could be fun but its trimmed to all hell. Kumba is just feels so much faster and more thrilling then montu imo. Montu has some good elements and some intense spots but the trims kind of kill the last half of the ride for me. No thank you. Kumba ftw

Post October 22nd, 2009, 5:32 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Originally posted by thatoneband777
in the first video of kumba, it looks pretty pumpy. did B&M heart,line their rides the same back then as they do now?

They heartlined them, but of course they werent perfect. They were unbeleivably smooth for their time and the technology available to make them.

Its like the hulk. If you ride in the back row it has some extremely noticable pumps in certain places, but they arent enough to cause head banging in most places.

One more thing, has anyone noticed that the hulks brake section is sideways? Its obviously on purpose but still! Kinda weird for B&M.

IMO Kumba is better.

Post October 22nd, 2009, 7:11 pm

We've got a fifty-fifty!

Well...that's was unexpected!

I've ridden Kumba so many times and Montu so many times...yet Kumba gets old...don't ask me why. And once you recognize all of the other B&M twister's that excel it, the opinion drops even more on it for me. It is a classic, it was B&M's first REAL ride...but B&M got pretty unique with their later B&M twisted rides and floorless twisted rides (*cough...Montu...*cough). Like I've said a million times, it's a great ride, the roar, the experience, it is all great! But I don't know how well it would stand with other B&M twisters of today (floorless, inverted, sit-down, etc.). So you have to put that factor in when you think about Kumba...not just that at its time it was revolutionary, think about how it would stand NOW. I am a local tampinian...but I still like Montu more, and it shows with how many more people wait in line for it, and I don't think it is just because of location.

Beans...There is only one trim before the Batwing dude...that's all, I don't know where you came up with "all those trims" unless your talking about the only other "trim"...the MCBR...which is the MCBR. Now...when I rode it 3 days ago...it feels less trimmed on the MCBR, my legs felt like they were getting ripped apart on the loop after it, as well as on the B.W (which feels this way even MORE).

Oh Jakizle...how is Montu not any different from Afterburn (Top Gun)? Pray, tell.

Post October 22nd, 2009, 7:57 pm

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
Frankly I've found the later B&M loopers (e.g. Medusa) to be distinctly inferior. Kumba is just better because of the little things...the dip pre-Cobra, the tunnell...

Post October 22nd, 2009, 8:04 pm

Kumba's layout also has such an effective progression. And I'm a HUGE sucker for everything after the last corkscrew. The turn into the tunnel, the tunnel and of course the helix. They all seem so much faster than they are...

Post October 22nd, 2009, 9:07 pm

I definitely agree with both of you on your points.

Kumba is, hands-down (very much deserved, you gotta get this guys I do LOVE Kumba, it is my second fav.) the BEST damn B&M Twister in the U.S!

But Montu is the best general B&M inversion coaster between the two.

Post October 24th, 2009, 1:37 am

Points on hand: 1,098.00 Points
Kumba, rode it over a dozen times in one day, could've rode it of few dozen more times if I wanted to that day.

Rode Montu twice that day, meh. Just didn't like it as much for some reason.

Post October 25th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Kumba has now crept into the lead! Voting ends Monday, so get em' in by 12:00AM tomorrow!

Post October 26th, 2009, 9:44 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Montu over Kumba by a lot. Just rode both about 3 weeks ago and Kumba, while intense, also is just that - intense. There is no variation in forces. A good ride SHOULD in my opinion subject you to more than just one speed, which is kinda how Kumba runs. A dive loop, to me, should provide a nice bit of floater at its apex but Kumba flies through it. The zero g has virtually no Zero G's - id call it similar to Raptors "zero-g" as more a speed roll than a zero g. The whole ride is just taken way too fast to have any sort of flow to it.

Montu on the other hand, holy crap. I got to ride with WITHOUT the trims before the batwing and that ride meshes intense forces and flow perfectly. The loop and immleman provide nice forces at the onset but floater at the top. The Zero G actually provides a nice length of floater air. The Batwing has some incredible forces. The drop into and out of the second loop has real nice forces but then a nice floater turn into a very intense wingover and then done. A far more complete ride IMO.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions