Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion problem with internet

problem with internet

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post June 22nd, 2006, 11:23 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

so, since around late May, the internet at my house hasn't been working properly. it keeps going on and off and on and off. sometimes its a problem, sometimes it's not. I've been trying to figure it out ever since it started, and technically there's nothing wrong with any part of it. the modem seems fine, the router seems fine, everyone's wireless controllers are fine, but it just keeps malfunctioning from time to time. I've tried every little thing I've been able to try, and nothing works. the problem is effective mostly when I have more than one internet app open at once.

now, we get cable tv and internet, and the one line we have running into our house has been split up numerous times, mostly to get basic cable to the tv's we don't have a digital box for. since it is cable, our internet comes through that line as well. This seems like it would be the problem, but we've had it set up this way since Christmas.

Anyone know what could be wrong? Trust me, I've tried just about everything I can without having to spend money. Worse comes to worse, we'll try a new router and if that doesn't solve it, we'll RMA it.

Post June 22nd, 2006, 11:26 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
Try a router reset, the fixes the problem when my net doesn't work.

Post June 22nd, 2006, 11:34 pm

this a bit more complex than just resetting my router[;)]

Post June 23rd, 2006, 12:05 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

With the cable being split numerous times, by the time the signal gets to your modem it might be too week to be a continuous stream. Do any of your TVs go fuzzy?

I would just call your service provider and ask if they can recommend a remedy. The only problem is that with the problem most likely coming from within your house, it won't be a free fix.

Post June 23rd, 2006, 9:42 am

I've already called em, the guy came out and split it again so the internet line was comin before the thing gets split to go to the tv's up here .the line gets split to go to 6 tv's and the modem, two tv's have digital boxes and one of em has an HD receiver. I mean, I'm very aware that all the splitting could be the problem, but its been working fine since we made all the splits up until a couple weeks ago. I mean months have gone by with no problem whatsoever until now.

Post June 23rd, 2006, 10:14 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

its the providor, I am currently leeching my neighbors internet of his unsecured wireless network [devilish] to go to the sbc website and yell at them for my dsl being gone 19 hours in the past 48 hours. They say it shall be working by noon today and well I will be hanging them a piece of my mind when it does and demand a free month. bastards can't keep providing service that wont be working all the time.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Return to Off Topic Discussion