Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Beckham: the new messiah?

Beckham: the new messiah?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post September 14th, 2005, 10:03 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

For the next three days, 90 delegates at an international conference on celebrity, will be debating whether David Beckham is viewed these days, as a messiah more than Christ himself (obviously they have too much time on their hands [lol]).

*Taken from BT Yahoo news*

An international academic conference on celebrity is debating whether David Beckham is a modern Messiah. The three-day conference in Scotland will discuss whether the Beckham brand can bring salvation in the modern world. Delegates will hear how the England captain is steeped in pseudo-Christian iconography.
Paisley University lecturer Carlton Brick said: "Beckham the brand is all about salvation, redemtion and even resurrection.
"It is not me that is saying Beckham is a pseudo-Christ figure,
but it is how he is often portrayed and how he often portrays himself.
"The redemption came in 1998 after he was sent off in the World Cup. He was even pictured in a magazine looking Christ-like.
"Then he was expected to be the saviour of English football.
"When he broke his foot a picture of it appeared in a newspaper and we were all asked to lay our hands on it to heal him."
He also points to Beckhams crucifix tattoos as examples of his use of Christian symbols.
The Real Madrid midfielder and his wife were portrayed as Jesus and Mary in a nativity display at Madame Tussauds.

David Beckham is the most famous sports personality on the planet, even if you have no idea about the sport and/or who Beckham is, you will have most likely heard the name. With pretty much the entire planet (apart from North America) looking to Football (soccer) as a way of life rather than just a sport, its clear how a lot of people may look towards someone like Beckham as an idol or ??????messiah??????. I, on the other hand, think the guy is a twat and a crap footballer to boot [lol].

Who else thinks he is just a jumped up prick?
Who else couldn??????t give two flailing nymph rats?
Who else thinks that the 90 delegates at this debate thing need to get a life? [lol]

Post September 14th, 2005, 11:43 am

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
I donno, Michael Jordan is just as much widly known.

Post September 14th, 2005, 11:48 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Michael Jackson is more popular and I don't see people crowning him as Christ.

Post September 14th, 2005, 12:07 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Post September 14th, 2005, 1:23 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Post September 14th, 2005, 1:40 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

man thats pathetic just cause hes well known hes doing that?!?!?!

Post September 14th, 2005, 1:48 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

"For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' " So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God." ~Romans 14:10-12

Whoa will come to David Beckham for allowing himself to be portrayed as such.

Post September 14th, 2005, 1:54 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

when the "messiah" has a book that know one has written and has a great big party on his birthday, then i will bow down and kiss his nike boots[worship][worship][worship]

Post September 14th, 2005, 2:43 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

I've seen David Beckham in the flesh, who here can say they have seen 'Jesus' or 'God' in flesh? Exactly, we had to write a stupid essay on 'Is Football a Religion?' Last year, since i hate football i wasnt pleased at all.

David Beckham doesnt seem like a bad guy he is just doing whatever, if idiots want to believe he is the Messiah, good for them, if people wish to believe Jesus is the Messiah, good for them. Either way i dont really care. I'm not in any way a religous man some i am sure Christians here and accept my opinions. I dont want a religious debate like before....although that was pretty fun

Post September 14th, 2005, 3:15 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Originally posted by Edge

I dont want a religious debate like before....although that was pretty fun
No it wasn't ... so don't encourage it. [V]

Post September 14th, 2005, 3:57 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Coaster indavidual

I donno, Michael Jordan is just as much widly known.

not really, I hadn't heard of Michael Jordan till only a couple of weeks ago. I've been to other countries in Europe and didn't see Michael Jordan pictures anywhere, or hear his name, whereas David Beckhams face is plastered all over everything. David Beckham is simply on a different scale to anything or anyone else in terms of his popularity. Especially in the far east where the last time he visited, half of Tokyo was shut down to cope with the demand of people trying to see him [lol]. As a brand, Beckham runs into Billions of dollars, I don't think the same can be said for Michael Jordan. Plus, only in the USA could you even consider saying that basketball might be looked at as a way of life rather than just a sport, whereas many many many other countries view football (soccer) as a way of life rather than just a sport. There is a difference between playing/watching and living, I mean, I've played basketball before, but I live, eat, drink and sleep football, its what I am about as it is for most people in this country and many others in Europe and South America especially, but everywhere around the world. So its feasible to say that more people would look up to David Beckham, than Michael Jordan.

Weeweeslap: "Michael Jackson is more popular and I don't see people crowning him as Christ."

David Beckham doesn't feel up children though, so yeah .....

Post September 14th, 2005, 4:40 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

[lol] Had I had my camera when he was here at my school one or two months ago I could prove you wrong, he was grabbimg the kids shoulders, arms, chest and legs while supposedly teaching them soccer stuff [lol] ( my school is like 2 feet from Home Deport Sports Center )

Post September 14th, 2005, 4:58 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

[lol] fair enough then, I guess people just think Beckhams hair is better or something [lol].

Anyway like i said before, I hate the guy, he is actually the stupidest guy I know of and thats really saying something because I know myself [lol] he finds it difficult to string together a proper sentence, he has to put the words "you know" in front of and after every other word he says [lol]

Return to Off Topic Discussion