Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports record heat at magic mountain.

record heat at magic mountain.

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post July 23rd, 2006, 5:01 am
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,120.00 Points

REDICULOUSLY HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. it was so hot a magic mountain that a record set in 1944 was SHATTERED by 11 degrees. ... http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... ncia%2C+ca
look here where it says how hot it was today 112 degrees!!!!!!!!!!! down towards the bottom.. that's rediculously hot... insanely hot.. i've been all over hot ass parts of the world, and i can't remember when i was somewhere where it was that hot.......
but any way, yeah.. uhuh.. my freind planned a trip to magic mountain, on a saturday.. oh wait i mean a saturday in summertime, oh, i guess what i mean is a saturday in mid july...oh, and um the hottest day in the area in 62 freakin years) i suggested that we meet at his house at 6 a.m.(magic mountain's less than 3 hours away.. but we wanted to get there early because it was saturday and wanted a shot at tatsu) , which all but one of us who was going (a driver at that) decided to stay out late the night before and we didn't leave untill 730 (grrrr)without him...
we got there at about 1015 am. when i got out of the car i was SHOCKED at how hot it was.. they said it would be hot , but JESUS... it was hot hot hot. for the first time in i don't know how long we actually had to wait in line for tickets..dammit .. goliath was closed (anyone know why?). usually im in the first row of parking, not to mention standing there at the booth waiting for it to open.. then we went inside.. i instantly stopped feeling guilty for telling my freind that going on a saturday in july was not a very good idea. it was preeetttty packed.. we got in line for tatsu, but it broke down like 3 times in the first hour of waiting.. serious, for each breakdown there was a non opreational period, 2 test runs, and finally we would hear applause from the station.. we were in the que about half way through the switchbacks, when our freind who's "day" it was decided to get out of line.. no prob. the line seemed to move o.k., i guess.. we walked on down to revolution and went to get in line, and golly , imagine this.. the train comes in and stops with its ass end sticking out of the station. as soon as the dude put the trashcan at the entrance we knew we were wasting our time. i't like 1130 and some genius says "lets go on viper" i ended up making a complete ass out of myself trying to convince them that it's better to wait till mid afternoon to ride it, and they finally gave in( later i proved it to them) so the guy who had fast passes suggested 4 would ride tatsu, and 2 would do something else... by this time it's freaking 1 oclock and these guys had no clue how to work a day at magic mountain, i'm pissed as heck, and i'm all.. you go, one of the other guys was just like me... he's all"I"ve been here for almost 2 and 1/2 hours I just WANT TO RIDE SOMETHING!!!!"
YESSSS!!!!! we left them to ride tatsu.. and we split and walked right on to gold rusher. he didn't mind a bit .. i was pleasantly pleased at the ride we got on it. heat is very very good at decreasing friction and loosening things up and it seemed more out of controll than it had last time.. the cars seemed extra loose too.. so we headed to collossus, and again, a much better than expected ride. i can't get started on all the horrible things they've done to this ride, so let "unforgiveable reprofiling and morgan trains " suffice.. but you know what? I actually got some floater air during the triple "jump" and good ejectors from the second and third big hills (i can only imagine what it would've been like wih the double down i loved sooo much)
but it was hot hot hot hot hottest freekin day in over half a century.. and there were lines at every drinking fountain. when we rode collosus at night i was wierd how it went from warm to HOT as we gained elevation..
now here's where they day turned around for us. we all met up again and rode viper.. the line was a fraction of what it had been by this time and we decided it was time to say "the hell with it .. let's wait in line for "x"' but some kid and his dad say to us.. "nope, its shut down for the rest of the day ' well i believed them, good thing iain didn't.. well they were sort of right, it was shut down...RIGHT UP UNTILL THE MOMENT WE WALKED ACROSS THAT LONG BRIGE AND GOT TO THE X SIGN!... seriously, as we walked up the guy was pulling the trashcan away from the que entrance!!!!!!!!!! we waited two trains, and got to ride in the backseat, right side. x is looking shabby.. more about that stuff later. we went around again and rode TWICE IN ONE DAY, IN LESS ThaN AN HOUR!!!!..again i honestly think the heat helps here .. i imagine the grease was loose as anything, and heat lowers friction.. anyways .. x ruled for the most part.. except for how it seems to be loosing up in a bad way too, and towards the end it vibrated so much that my calves were sore..
i convinced a couple of the guys to ride revolution with me, ughhhh.. great ride, lousy idea of what maintenace should be hey guys.. how about more maintenance.. less brakes, . after we got off it did the "not all the way in the station thing' we considered ourselves lucky.
after this i convinced everyone to come ride collosuus, and see if they noticed a diference , but first we rode "scream' .. GREAT RIDE LOUSY LOCATION.. i mean it, it just seemed fast and out of controll. short wait time too. our finalride was collossus, and i honestly can say that this time i DID get some air out of it.. too bad psyclone was closed, but ehh.. not too big a loss, but i like my wood.
we were there for about 11 hours total, and didn't ride much.. not becase we couldn't do it, but because my freind who's bachelor trip we were on decided that since it didn't cost him a cent he'd just kinda sit around most of the day ( i can , and have ridden everything at magic mountain barring X and scream and of course tatsu on a fairly busy day in like 9 hours.. tops, that's including ninja with only one train, and more than one ride on rev, collossus, viper , and psyclone). he just couldn't be bothered with the fact that we'd spent ALOT of money , and wanted to have a good time in spite of the heat, and the plan gone wrong. he comepletely "phsstt'ed " r.r. and btr " because he didn't want to walk that far. wow.. what a day.... i'ts hard to say this, but i think (with the exception of two rides on X and collosuss being in o.k. form) that this was the first time i'd ever ever had an almost miserable day at magic mountain .. glad i didn't drive.
Last edited by jayman on July 23rd, 2006, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post July 23rd, 2006, 8:29 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Am I the only person who finds it hard to read your topics? [confused]

You're killing my eyes.

Post July 23rd, 2006, 9:09 am

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
I think he's giving the impression of Sun-stroke, my head hurts[shocked].

Post July 23rd, 2006, 12:42 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Post July 23rd, 2006, 2:51 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
I can sympathize with you abour riding coasters when it's super hot. I rode Desperado at Buffalo Bill's when it was 104 outside. And another time through Utah the car thermometer showed 120 degrees ouside.

Anyways, nice TR.

Post July 23rd, 2006, 3:00 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

I was there on Saturday and it was pretty hot. My friend and I were standing in the station for Tatsu and our shirts were just drenched with sweat, it was pretty rediculous. We also watched the hill side burn from atop the sky tower, as well watch 1/8 of the park loose power.(Viper, Revolution, X)

Post July 23rd, 2006, 3:12 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Originally posted by Matt

Am I the only person who finds it hard to read your topics?
Yes. [lol]

Post July 23rd, 2006, 3:12 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

when? yesterday?
what i didn't get to mention was how shabby everything is starting to look.. now i'll admit at first glance the fresh paint on rev, and the new tatsu really made the park look nice at first glance, and the new walkways in the tatsu area provided for some new veiws of revolution that were actually pretty picturesque. like the crest of the second hill poking out of the trees, with no other track in sight (not such a good veiw when a train comes by though, watching it almost stop where there should be floater air.. )..
but goliath was looking almost abandoned. when we rode collossus we could see weeds growing up out of the asphalt underneath goliath, when the lit it up a bunch of the lift lights were broken, the paint was fading on everything, the X trains looked like they could use a polish , and overall it seemed like tatsu was the only thing they cared about. the effect was simular to what the long beach pike looked like when my dad was stationed in long beach in the late 70's.. like something that's dying. oh, and grease stains EVERWHERE. it really did look like a place they were ready to shut down.. sad sad sad!!!!

Post July 23rd, 2006, 3:22 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Post July 23rd, 2006, 6:06 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

there's been record heat everywhere in this country this week

Post July 23rd, 2006, 8:40 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Fortunetly not for us, it didn't even reach 100 today in SA.

Nice trip report Jayman, that had to be pretty awesome to catch X like that.

Post July 24th, 2006, 3:04 pm

Points on hand: 2,588.00 Points
Nice report and awesome luck, I've never gotten to ride X, it's always closed when I'm around there. Such a shame to hear about it's maintenance, I had hoped SF's new regime would start to take the park seriously again. They can't seem to figure out how to lure more people up from L.A. which is what they really want, but they aren't willing to spend the dough to compete with Disney, Universal and Knotts. Few things make me sadder than seeing woodies falling apart.

SFMM's not a great place to be in such heat.

I was at Disneyland at 106 degrees but that place is full of air-conditioned dark rides, shows and Splash Mountain (not like California Adventure, which hardly has any shade either). I do wish they'd move the Fast Pass entrance to Indiana Jones somewhere inside the long and beautifully themed (and air-conditioned) queue.
Be sure you're not looking in a mirror before you start pointing fingers.

Post July 25th, 2006, 8:41 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

yeah, i wish magic mountain would build a dark ride or even a "family" coaster.. instead of reducing their classics to something simular. one of the rides that intrests me most is something like "lost coaster... " somewhwere.. i can't remember maybe someone knows what i'm talking about. it's a wooden coaster, with a genuine theme from the looks of it....

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports