Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion new rules for weathergirls [UK]

new rules for weathergirls [UK]

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post October 5th, 2005, 8:10 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

wtf? [lol] I don't know if anyone else has heard about this yet, but the Met office here in the UK has released new rules and guidelines that the weathergirls have to abide by, rules like these:

They are no longer allowed to use the term 'Heavy Rain', instead they have to just say 'Rain' [confused]

They are no longer allowed to say 'Isolated Storms', instead they must say 'Warm and sunny for most' [lol] wtf?

They have also been told to smile as much as possible, especially when the weather is bad ......... that'll be all the time then [lol]

There is loads more, but you get the idea. The whole idea is that they focus more on the good stuff than the bad stuff, which lets face it, is going to be extremely difficult in this country [lol].

But more seriously now, do you think the UK is going a little far now with this whole 'focusing just on the good' idea? It started really when they started to change the wording used with exam results, so that the word 'fail' wasn't used anywhere at all, the idea being, students who did fail wouldn't get so depressed. Perhaps in the future, we'll just completely ignore bad things all together until they destroy us [:)] [lol]

Anyway, I just thought it was really quite stupid, so I thought I'd take time out from doing absolutely nothing, to share it with you [:)]

Post October 5th, 2005, 9:17 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Yea, nothing like trying to "ignore" the actual while substituting a false reality.

Im all for being positive but when it comes to a b ody of people, or in this case an entire country trying to avoid "negative" thoughts or words, thats ridiculous. All it will do is spawn a generation who cant be honest with each other.

Post October 5th, 2005, 9:30 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Next will be a daily round of "happy pills" for everyone to take. Anyone seen the movie "Demolition Man"? Remember the happy little city? Are they trying to create that? Geesh .... how silly, IMO.

Post October 5th, 2005, 2:52 pm

Points on hand: 3,860.00 Points
"Deferred Success", what the hell is that? It's failure. Rediculous. I think i've made my point.

Post October 5th, 2005, 3:02 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Hmmm this is weird. "Isolated storms" and "Warm and sunny for most" impply totally different things, its not like they will be saying the truth but in a happier way. They are just saying cr@p.

Post October 5th, 2005, 3:03 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

That's the one, I was trying to think what they were using instead of the word fail, 'deferred success' [lol], what possible good will that do anyhow? I mean, whether you write 'deferred success' or 'fail', it makes no difference to the fact that the person has failed and it saying that rather than fail, isn't going to help them get a job and so on ...... utterly pointless in my opinion

Post October 5th, 2005, 3:58 pm

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
Thats really messed up. Thats kinda like watching a storm forcast and the weatherman says, "A tornado Warning is in effect for x counties." It will now be, "There is a possibility that Warm Air will be mixing with Cool air tonight it X counties".

BTW, when you say that the weathergirls have to abide by these rules, are all the weather forcasters in the UK women? Or do just the women forcasters have to abide by these rules? If so that is totally messed up.

Ohh boy Demolition Man, between Taco Bell winning the "Fast Food Wars" and a slew of other notions, that is one screwed up movie.

Post October 5th, 2005, 4:00 pm

Points on hand: 2,931.00 Points
wow this is wack lol wack yea thats pretty weird for them to ban things like that "heavy rain"[confused]

Post October 5th, 2005, 5:01 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

What about weatherdudes? Can they still say "heavy rain"?

Post October 5th, 2005, 6:19 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Ahh man, I was hoping that the weather girls would have to do thier portion of the news topless.[lol]

Post October 5th, 2005, 11:49 pm

Points on hand: 2,588.00 Points
It's called doublespeak, and its use by a government agency to adjust the mood of the populace is somewhat worrying.

Apparently they've never read Nineteen Eighty-Four, or they HAVE and they're counting on the fact that no one else there has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublespeak

Post October 5th, 2005, 11:52 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
^They are kind of heading in the direction of what's in that novel.

Post October 6th, 2005, 8:58 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Post October 6th, 2005, 5:20 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

Post October 6th, 2005, 5:29 pm

Points on hand: 5,408.00 Points

Post October 6th, 2005, 6:20 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Originally posted by Fornication Nation