Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Death Penalty?

Death Penalty?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post February 19th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Points on hand: 2,336.00 Points
Are you for, or against the death penalty?
Gay sex is great! (Qwerty 18:22)

Post February 19th, 2006, 4:42 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
against, replace the penalty with live, so that if mistakes are made people can get back into life

Post February 19th, 2006, 4:49 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

oh my god I chopped off your head, my mistake, can I go back to society now? [lo] death!!!!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post February 19th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Points on hand: 3,564.00 Points
Sorry but i feel the death penalty is the only way, an eye for an eye and all that. Also why should I pay my taxes to keep murderer's and rapist in prison and
low life's in prison.

Post February 19th, 2006, 5:11 pm

^Oh so you want your taxes going toward warfare? Why dosnt Bush put $80 million into health care or charity, but no, the super power needs more power apparently.

Post February 19th, 2006, 5:18 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

I'm against it. I think a prisoner sitting in jail for the rest of his life suffering with no freedom and having to constantly review what he/she did to get in there is alot more just than just letting them die.

And what if someone is proven guilty, who isn't? If they are put to death and are found not-guilty years later, how do you explain that?

Post February 19th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

I don't care if crminals go to jail to die or if they go for a life sentence, as long as they're in jail, I'm happy.

Post February 19th, 2006, 5:41 pm

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

I'm against it. Why kill someone when you can have them live out their life in jail and contribute to society? Most people who commit crimes worthy of life penalties end up contributing greatly during their time in jail. And to those who argue that it costs extra money are gravely mistaken. As stated in this article >> http://www.umich.edu/news/?Releases/199 ... chr061995a , it is actually more expensive to execute a person then to keep them in jail for life. So in reality your extra taxes are going towards killing someone rather than being save for other uses.

Post February 19th, 2006, 5:45 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

I agree with reform, so im against the death penalty!!! Although i think the only crime that deserves the death penalty, is major cases of terrorism. Other than that i think the death penalty is wrong, its more expensive like eman said, and its irreversible!

Post February 19th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Points on hand: 56.00 Points
I think they just need to come up with a punishment that obliterates the mental state of the person, theres no point in death, but punishment is a must, it just needs to be a much fierce stronger one, than jail...

Post February 19th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Points on hand: -1,299.00 Points
Bank: 1,430.56 Points
well i have to agree with that the u.s.a doesnt hase good healt care but i hope canada gets better with harper

Post February 19th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Canada gets better with Harper? What area are you talking about, Warfare? We dont need an army because everybody likes Canada becuase we are nice and have no form of discrimination toward anybody.

Post February 19th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

against it!!! If the person had only made a mistake and lived a descent life before that and they spend like 20 years in jail, they shouldnt kill them.

Post February 19th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

i am against the death penalty, let the bastards suffer for 50 years in solitary confinement....

Post February 19th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

You guys know what it costs to "rehabilitate" an inmate? Cheaper to execute, even after 7-15 years on Death Row running through appeals.
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post February 19th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Against.

I dont care about the cost. No matter what my taxes probably wont go where I want them.

If one life is saved and turned around then its worth it. That one person who turns their life around will affect more people for good than if they were executed.

Plus I believe everyone deserves a second chance. If God gave me a second chance on life, they deserve one too.

Post February 19th, 2006, 9:56 pm

I like how on this site you guys are sensible, I brought up the same topic on another and the replies were... different.

For example, here is what one man said in the topic on one site:

"Not only am I for the death penalty, I'm for improving it so people wait less on deathrow and suffer more during execution."

I myself and against it, and what he said was wrong in so many ways. I cant believe there are people who actually think like that...

Post February 19th, 2006, 10:28 pm

It's the law. I am reminded of a wonderful verse: "Render onto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and unto God what is God's." Meaning? We are commanded to obey the laws of the land (represented here by Ceasar and of course Jesus here is specifically referring to paying taxes) -- yet, the meaning is the same: To obey the laws of the land, period. You break the law, you get punished.

I would recommend looking up the 8th Commandment (Exodus 20:13) ... it might come in handy when arguing against though. This same Commandment created the law that we have today (even though the Left hates to admit it). You take a life, you ought to be punished. Redemption (spiritual redemption that is) can happen before the law's penalty is enforced, and that ought to be the ultimate goal -- not to make someone proficient at making wooden furniture and calling it rehabilitation. It is God's desire that "none should perish" (meaning go to hell), but he never said it was ok to commit crime and not be punished.

Now pay attention fellas ... This is NOT a religious argument and not an attempt to turn it that way, but I thought I would explain my thoughts on this as a Pastor. There are laws of the land and if the law says that is the penalty, you are not going to see me standing in the cold outside of a prison lighting a candle and praying. I would be just as happy praying for the man's soul at home, or going to visit him (which I am extremely interested in beginning a prison ministry), rather than doing nothing to help that man's (or woman's) soul. The law is the law, and if you do not like it - then get out there and vote or become a law-maker to affect change.

Post February 19th, 2006, 11:44 pm

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

I'm sorry Tcon, but that is possibly the weakest argument I have ever seen posted by you. Sure punishment is due for crimes, but that is irrelevant to wether the death penalty is ok or not. It isn't like the person is not going to be punished if they aren't killed, they will have to live their life in confinement in a high security prison. So even if there was no death penalty, it would still perfectly coincide with the verse you cited. And as for your last paragraph, just a bunch of religious mumbojumbo to ironically contradict what you begin the sentence with. As you know I 100% support what you do as a person and I myself am religious as well, but I am just dissapointed to see you post such a weak counterargument. And as for the cost issue you brought up earlier, as was stated in what I posted the costs for keeping a person in prison for the rest of their life is no greater than that of executing them, therefor meaning that you are merely paying taxes to kill people rather than to keep them in jail.

Post February 20th, 2006, 12:18 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
^^Yes, we should obey the laws of the land. That isnt a problem.

I look to the fact that none of us are worthy of carrying out a act such as death upon a person. Punishment? Yes. Death? I dont think so.

John 8:7
But when they continued asking him, he lifted himself up and said to them, Let him that is without sin among you first cast the stone at her.

What they were about to do wasnt simply a punishment - it was death. Did He let them do it? No. she committed adultery which was considered very near to death on the "chain" of severity.

I have seen lives changed that I never thought could change. I dont think we have the right to kill someone - but punish yes.

Post February 20th, 2006, 12:19 am

"religious mumbojumbo" e-man? I'm sorry - but you Sir, are an idiot.

Ya know what, I am so sick of trying to weed through the rambling. It costs more money to keep them in prison, hence your final statement makes no sense. So, let me spell it out for you: Kill them. They commit murder, they deserve to lose their life, not continue to have me paying for them to remain in prison from my taxes. We have enough of their "friends" who will not see the death penalty that I have to pay for.

Hopefully, that makes it clear to you and the other cretins who choose to ramble on supposing they understand (or don't) about what I am saying. There is no counter argument here -- they kill, kill them back. End of story.

Post February 20th, 2006, 12:31 am

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

Originally posted by TConwell

"religious mumbojumbo" e-man? I'm sorry - but you Sir, are an idiot.

Ya know what, I am so sick of trying to weed through the rambling. It costs more money to keep them in prison, hence your final statement makes no sense. So, let me spell it out for you: Kill them. They commit murder, they deserve to lose their life, not continue to have me paying for them to remain in prison from my taxes. We have enough of their "friends" who will not see the death penalty that I have to pay for.

Hopefully, that makes it clear to you and the other cretins who choose to ramble on supposing they understand (or don't) about what I am saying. There is no counter argument here -- they kill, kill them back. End of story.

tcon, this might just be my point of view, but i STRONGLY believe that no one should die in prision, threw a needle or a bullet to the head. they should keep this people alive, so, incase they are innocent, they acn atttempt to get on with their life. but more importantly, if they really did rape and kill that family, they should stay alive, and be put away from all human contact. let the bastards suffer, killing them is the easy way out for them, making them pay for 30 years, that is what i would rather have happen to someone then letting them get off easy and killing them.

Post February 20th, 2006, 12:40 am

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

oh jeez not another topic like this. I respect everyone for their own opinion but theres a point where topics like this take away from the essence of the site.

Post February 20th, 2006, 12:43 am

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
There is a logical reason to keep these people alive. Study them. The Serial Killers of the world and the people who just don't have something right in the head shouldn't be killed. They need to be studied to help understand how they think. Not to mention it DOES cost more to go through all the red tape associated with the death penalty when compared to just putting them into prison for the rest of their life. Everytime an appeal is brought up it costs money for that appeal, after one another they start to build up and all of a sudden it costs more to get them dead than keep them alive.

It is a controversial issue that many love to argue about. I just don't think its right.

Post February 20th, 2006, 12:44 am
dac User avatar

Points on hand: 82.00 Points
This is a topic that I have been dealing with quite recently.

I agree with TJ. It's the law and I will support it. While I might be against it in a lot of cases, I support it because it is the law. Until states pass something different, I will support it.

What I will add to the argument is this; the death penalty is used very rarely. Think about how many murders are committed in states that have the death penalty and think about how many of those murderers are actually sentenced to death. While the media usually covers those trials and cases, and thus we are exposed to them, most murders are not death penalty cases. It's the ultimate punishment the state has and the state respects that power. I know the cases that I have been around/involved with that are death penalty cases are the most serious form of the offense and are usually the most solid when it comes to evidence. No one wants to be wrong when it comes to sentencing someone to death. There are many procedural safeguards that kick the death penalty out of a case that it should not be involved in, that's what makes me satisfied with the implementation of the sentence. It's not a decision made by one man/woman, it's a decision made by many including, ultimately, the jury.

It's the system we have and I still believe that our system is the best there is....that's why I will continue to support it.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion