Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion I got a new camera! [img heavy]

I got a new camera! [img heavy]

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post February 25th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Yay! I finally went out and bought it after spending about two months thinking about it..

I purchased the Sony DSCW5. My dad has the DSCW7 (exact same thing except 7MP vs 5MP) and I really liked using it, so I got the 5MP version. I was actually not planning on buying it for another week or two, but by luck, I found it on sale for $299 at Future Shop. The cheapest I had saw it anywhere else was $329.

camera info; http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSH ... gapixels_5 (us price)

here are some pictures I have taken over the last couple days fiddling with the camera;

^Yonge Street, longest street in the world block away from my house

omg, baby mobile going mach speed!

not from this new camera, but I took this the day before I purchased it. A 15+ foot snowbank! I didn't take it from a different angle, but the snowbank goes down the entire length of the mall parking lot. I thought it was pretty funny how they just plowed all the snow onto the gardens and trees [lol]

I can't wait until Pcw opens and I can put this camera to work [:D]
Last edited by Canadmos on February 25th, 2006, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post February 25th, 2006, 11:00 pm

Points on hand: -1,299.00 Points
Bank: 1,430.56 Points
Good Picture u have there Chris, i might take picture this year wen i will go to PCW too, you have lots of snow there in toronto lol but we have more.

Post February 25th, 2006, 11:01 pm

Points on hand: 2,285.00 Points

I rather get a disposable at tenth the price. Then to reuse it, just pop out the bottom, take out the film and put a new roll in. Cheap, yet effective.

Post February 25th, 2006, 11:06 pm

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

Originally posted by crash2108

I rather get a disposable at tenth the price. Then to reuse it, just pop out the bottom, take out the film and put a new roll in. Cheap, yet effective.

a major drawback about those are that, you cant take 100 pictures at once, only about 24 or so, and you cant zoom in, and you dont have the convineance of being able to delete the ones you dont like right there....and digital cameras look better, and can offer higher mp, my cousin has one that is a 22mp, costing 15,000. its a shitload better than a disposable camera anyday.

thats a nice camera you got forny, i heard the sonys are pretty good.

Post February 25th, 2006, 11:07 pm

^^But then you have to constantly pay to get the film developed [:P]

^what he said as well

Post February 25th, 2006, 11:37 pm

Points on hand: 2,285.00 Points

Post February 25th, 2006, 11:55 pm

^^But then you have to constantly pay to get the film developed

$$$$$

Post February 25th, 2006, 11:58 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Originally posted by crash2108

It's also tenth the price.

And one tenth the quality.

Post February 26th, 2006, 12:10 am

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

yea I have to agree Cybershots aren't the best quality... but for just random pics they're good enough.

I have an Olympus C-740 Ultrazoom. Its VERY nice even for a pretty out-dated product. My sister is taking a photography class and she says all the specs go above and beyond requirements. 10x zoom, 3.2mp, just about everything else I could want.

Post February 26th, 2006, 12:25 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Post February 26th, 2006, 3:34 am

This one has a pretty nice lens I think, a Carl Ziess lens. I don't really know though as I don't know a whole lot about cameras. As far as I can tell so far, this camera has very decent picture quality and has a ton of adjustability (shutter speed, iso setting etc) for manual mode and had some nice auto modes which takes alot of the guess work out if you are lazy. Like me lol.
It also takes decent (for a digicam) video and when I get my 1gig memory stick pro the camera should work well for some pov videos. I might even go buy the wide angle lens for it if I can find it on sale somewhere.

Post February 26th, 2006, 3:51 am

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

^ yeah these small cameras work great for POVs, i took a big camera onto raging bull, i got caught...the next day, i had a small camera in my pocket, got a away with it...shame my quality sucked on the vid though cause i screwed up and had my findger in the shot half of the time. lol.

Post February 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm

I did some more fooling around with my camera tonight. I got my hands on a image stitching program that works pretty nicely and makes creating panoramic shots really easy.

Not perfect, but two I made tonight of my street;
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9529 ... ic26ws.jpg
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8056 ... ic12gd.jpg

Post February 26th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Points on hand: 5,408.00 Points

Post February 26th, 2006, 10:21 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
FN, is your camera a digital SLR or a point and shoot?

Post February 26th, 2006, 10:33 pm

Points on hand: 2,234.00 Points
i have a powershot a520, but i shud be working at a mexican restaurant soon.... bus boying, wats good[;)]

Post February 26th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Originally posted by Woodie Man

FN, is your camera a digital SLR or a point and shoot?

point and shoot
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSH ... gapixels_5

Post February 27th, 2006, 1:40 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
He said it was a 5mp camera...5 Megapixel...

Point and shoots are ok. I hope that photography class mentioned a couple posts ago is a all digital one. Other wise...ick. If I had a dark room, Id still prefer regular 35mm because the entire process of using a darkroom allows you so much control over how your picture develops.

But untill then, Ill stick to my Canon 300D which in my experience is only second to Nikon. However, I feel that while Canons lenses are just slightly lower in quality (but still good enough for the pros) that their digital chips inside are far better than Nikons. Nikon was late getting into the digital race and it shows because Canons, again from my experience with Sony, Olympus, Canon and Nikon, Canons color was always superior. Especially with blue which is a hard color to get right. The blues are just perfect and brilliant.

But enough about my camera. Thats still a nice one Forn ;)

Oh---get a cheap tripod! It looks like you dig the night-time photography and thats the only way to go. Also try to find an attachment that lets you press the trigger without touching the camera. Not sure if they have something like that for a Point and shoot but if they do, its worth it. Shutter-Remotes = no camera shake.

Post February 27th, 2006, 2:49 am

Points on hand: 9,705.00 Points
I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 3.2 Mega Pixels camera right now, "loved" it. The only problem was the low amount of 3X zoom. Well, my LCD monitor went out on it, its been in my hand or in my pocket on more on-rides than most people can imagine. So I have to replace it. I went to look at the new Cyber-shots and found the one I'm getting, the Sony DSC-H1, http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H1/H1A.HTM It has 12 X zoom, only this one won't fit in my pocket. They wanted $449 here in the City, I found it on-line at Best Price Cameras http://www.bestpricecameras.com/215656- ... SC-H1.html for $319 plus $20 shipping.

Post February 27th, 2006, 5:45 pm

Oh---get a cheap tripod! It looks like you dig the night-time photography and thats the only way to go.

Yeah I've been thinking about getting one of those mini tripods. A mini one should be good enough for what I will use it for.
I think night photography is fun, you can do all sorts of neat effects at night.
Today was actually the first day I took some pictures during the day with this camera, but just my luck it was snowing and the sun was no where to be found!

Here are a few shots I took today in the overcast lighting;
new express buses

here is that huge snow bank from before, with a car to compare, note all the trees that were just burried, lol.

snowing [:(]

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6838 ... ic49nm.jpg
Another panoramic I made of my street. I think it turned out pretty nice, except for a few spots on the right side of the image.

Post February 27th, 2006, 5:55 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,878.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

FN needs a job [lol] he has too much time taking pictures of cars [lol]
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post February 27th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Originally posted by Canadmos

Oh---get a cheap tripod! It looks like you dig the night-time photography and thats the only way to go.

Yeah I've been thinking about getting one of those mini tripods. A mini one should be good enough for what I will use it for.
I think night photography is fun, you can do all sorts of neat effects at night.

Ehh. The mini ones arent as useful as you think. You can get a normal size tripod made of aluminum thats really light for under 20 bucks. Personally, I want a Bogen but those cost almost 200 because you buy the swivel head and tripodd seperately but they are absoultly rock solid. My dad has a bogen that Ive been using for awhile now :P

But seriously, I really couldnt find many uses for the minis. They are just too small. While they are portable, I think a normal but more compact tripod offers more and probably for less.

Post February 27th, 2006, 8:56 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
^I have a Bogen tripod and I do have to agree that it is very solid. The camcorder head is amazingly fluid and smooth. I believe it is steel though and is a bit on the heavy side, but it is an older model.

Post February 27th, 2006, 11:41 pm

^ME is envious. They are made heavy on purpose - no movement.

Return to Off Topic Discussion