Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Video Game Poll

Video Game Poll

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Video Game Poll

Yes
6%
No
94%

Total votes : 34

Post March 11th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

I have too give a speech in my english class about Video Games. I also need quotes from peers so if you would like too quote. Here is my question...

Does Video Games destruct the youth?
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post March 11th, 2006, 2:26 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Video games do not destruct the youth, bad parenting does.

Post March 11th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

I am also making a video for this so any suggestions
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post March 11th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Points on hand: 2,931.00 Points
me playing ddr hehe but that game makes you fit and lose weight so it cant possibly destroy your youth

Post March 11th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Points on hand: -1,299.00 Points
Bank: 1,430.56 Points
nop, the game gets u knolage and it doesnt destroy your youth

Post March 11th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by coolbeans326

Bingo. Take some responsibility and dont blame a scape goat. Parents need to grow up.

Post March 11th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Originally posted by thundermat

You might want to re-consider your statement.

CoasterCrazy has a point, DDR keeps you in good shape and does the opposite from destroying you.

Post March 11th, 2006, 3:08 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,898.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Bad spelling destroys the youth.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post March 11th, 2006, 3:50 pm

Points on hand: 1,700.00 Points
Sure they've doen tests proving that cretain areas of the brain, mainly the ones related to violence/anger, are a lot more active when stimulated by violent games, but I couldn't live without my GTA.(And it's not that realistic) Playing that game doesn't make me want to kill people or accept violence as normal behavior. So no, a grid of pixles and a controller does not destroy our youth.

Post March 11th, 2006, 4:39 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

Originally posted by coolbeans326

agreed. Its more of a way the youth takes in the video games. For the most part it's understood that video games aren't real; but then you get some cases of a kid imitating it. That's the parent's fault for not explaining the nature of the game to them and how its totally unreal.

Post March 11th, 2006, 5:05 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by thundermat

Knowledge of what? And you hardly make a good case in point do you really?

Post March 11th, 2006, 5:57 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points

Well, it really is both. There are some situations where it does and doesn't. For example, it does by desensetizing SOME kids with an already bad sense of morality, yet their reflexes and strategy skills also increase, (strategy most notable on Starcraft, reflexes on Call of Duty 2) I have seen an increase in both for myself, as I have both. Just because I see blood and guts from my shooting games doesn't mean I will go shooting people. Even though I play shooting games several hours a day, I know I can never actually kill a person. (This may go for many other people) I am fine with killing in video games only, because all I am "killing" are Computer Generated Images, not real people. Killing one person will mean possibly many kids will be without a parent, then others who love him/her will be in extreme grief for a possible long period of time. As for the reflexes in shooting games, you have to shoot in a split second's timimg, or you will most likely be shot yourself, potentially hundreds of times per level/match. For the strategy skills in Starcraft, you are commanding armies. You need defense to fit the proper stats of the enemy, some diversions if necessary, and the knowledge of what troops go well with what. It is basically a simulation of war, which we all know requires strategy. As for health, I do agree that it could make people overweight, keeping people from excersize. HOWEVER, if parents make the kids involved in sports or some other extracurricular activity (I take Karate a couple times a week, and I play video games constantly, but I'm normal weight) This isn't a clear cut situation. However, DDR may be the "healthiest" video game out there, as some schools are using it to make their students more physically fit, and that is a REALLY good strategy, as that game is addictive. (I tried it once myself. It was pretty hard, but I still liked it.)

Post March 11th, 2006, 7:38 pm

Points on hand: -1,299.00 Points
Bank: 1,430.56 Points
ya that is a good report there, sevral of game makes people do the things in it. i think it was toronto a few month ago some kids where racing down the street and where playing, need for speed most wanted and hit and killed some one but its crazy people that do that. Most of the games are fun but not that violence.

Post March 11th, 2006, 8:53 pm

Points on hand: 3,860.00 Points
"Does Video Games destruct the youth?"

I hope that's not your question, you'd think the guys setting the questions had some grasp of grammar. Oh well.

People who say a video game caused them to do something are one of two things
1) insane
2) lying
I'm not going into a big report. thundermat makes a good point for a start. Let's try and get people out of the mentality that we live in a cushioned world, because otherwise we will be. It drives me crazy. It's entertainment, nothing more, and in some cases (MGS, i'm looking at you), it's damn good entertainment. I'll leave it there

Post March 11th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Points on hand: 2,304.00 Points
Personally I don't think it really hurts them unless they play them instead of doing homework or study.

Post March 11th, 2006, 10:59 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

^ yes, but thats not destructive, but rather more of a reflection on that person's laziness. Games have nothing to do with it. If I chose to play CSS instead of doing my homework, its not because the game made me, its becuase I was irresponsible and decided to do what was easy instead of what was right.

Post March 11th, 2006, 11:48 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points

Yeah, come to think of it, I may add that as I see it after reading replies after mine, I also come to the conclusion that parents just want to blame something other than themselves failing to teach their kids that games are unreal/failure to teach their kids morality.

Post March 11th, 2006, 11:52 pm

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
IMO its a loaded questions. Video gaming alone doesn't make anybody do anything. Get a hardcore gamer a weapon and reason to use that weapon they are more likly to use it becuase they are used to violence. that young people experiance this much violence. By the end of elementry school the average american witnesses 8,000 murders on TV. In games like BF2 I've gotten that many kills in 6 months, accomplishing what it takes years in half of one. It is unsettling thought. No matter the setting of a game, GTA, COD, BF2 you are still taking the life of a humanlike organism. You see it time and time again until the point in which it hardly bothers you anymore. Like if you watch Black Hawk Down and remark on how cool a Somali or American soldier was killed then you have been desencitiezed(sp?)

I do feel not all games are bad. Building games like SimCity, RCT, and the Movies require a creative drive to play and when creating something successful you honestly do get a good happy feeling inside you when its done. And thats a positive thing. The downside is the number of games which contain violent acts FAR outweigh the creative style.

Never say "I know I can never actually kill a person" that is pluaristic ignorance. History has shown time and time again given the right circumstances you will do anything. The Milgram studies and Nazis have shown us this.

Post March 12th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
It depends on the person, if he's some mental, addicted 12 yr old playing a certain mini game in GTA, that's a conspicious problem right there, but if they're just playing as a hobby and something to do in spare time, then that's perfectly fine. As for game ratings, the ESRB is just screwed up. CoD 2 and Halo have nearly the same violence, except Halo has just a bit more blood, yet they're seperated by T and M ratings. Star Fox Assault could nearly be considered a kiddie game, and it get's a T rating while it was no more violent than Star Fox 64. Super Smash Bros Melee probably got a T rating because of the higher framerates on the GCN. The ratings have just been getting srewed up within the last few years; some people are getting too paranoid about shooting on a game when it's just a game. Yes, there are some screwed up people who can't distinguish reality and virtuality, but some things have gotten messed up from being overly "protective", and I'd say it has crossed the line from trying to protect to trying to control. People place too much blame on the games instead of the person when problems arise. And if they're just sitting there blasting others on Halo (and they do all their homework and aren't beating up people at school), get off and leave them alone. Instead, some watch in disgust and make some screwed up assumptions of what the person would to do it in real life, or they just don't want them playing. (for whatever other reason)

Oh yeah, to the school shootings, those happen because the person is constantly getting beaten up there, and sometimes because the authorities do nothing about it, but some people have to put blame on that one CoD 2 game he has...

Post March 14th, 2006, 3:05 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
video games make sure the kids don't hang out in the streets and do things they should be doing on a console

Post March 15th, 2006, 7:15 pm

Originally posted by hyyyper

video games make sure the kids don't hang out in the streets and do things they should be doing on a console

So if someone is playing the game and roaming the city in GTA picking up hookers and killing cops what is to tell them that its wrong? If its the only information being exposed to them there is no contradiction on good vs bad.

Lol, I'm the only one to vote contrary to everyone else.

Post March 15th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

I guess by todays standards, a good question to ask would be 'What Doesnt Destroy The Youth?' You'll always get grumpy old men and women talking down about the youth

Post March 16th, 2006, 12:07 am

Points on hand: 2,685.00 Points

Video games definitely do not destroy youth. In fact I think that in some instances they keep children from doing things they shouldn't do. And I agree with the statement about bad parents ruining young ones. You can't blame a video game for the lack of good parenting skills.

Post March 16th, 2006, 5:22 am

Its not a black and white question. The answer is completely grey. Video games like all forms of media have an effect on the mind. Couple this with social factors and you can say yes video games destroy the youth or at least that youth. But you can also look at a middle schooler playing RCT alot, is that destructive to them? No.

Hows that speech going BTW?

Post March 16th, 2006, 7:25 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by Coaster indavidual

Originally posted by hyyyper

So if someone is playing the game and roaming the city in GTA picking up hookers and killing cops what is to tell them that its wrong? If its the only information being exposed to them there is no contradiction on good vs bad.

their parent should tell them, GTA doesn't raise nor educate children...

^btw, GTA does let them see what not to do, and it gives me a good feeling that i can rob a bank in GTA and not in real life

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion