Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Vertigo (Round 2)

Vertigo (Round 2)

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post March 24th, 2006, 3:25 pm

Points on hand: 2,319.00 Points
I've finished trackwork on my round 2 entry, and thought I'd post some info and stats.

Length: 3932ft
Height: 167ft (highest to lowest point)
Top Speed: 72 mph
Average Speed: 47 mph

Forces:
- Vertical: +4.8 to -1.5
- Lateral: <1.0

Inversions: 2, Vertigo Hill and a Vertical Loop

Looking up the launch track.

Quite probably THE most extreme airtime hill in the history of No Limits. Ejector air sustained for 3.5 seconds. Beyond insane.

Here you can see the vertical loop, the entrance to the Vertigo Hill and some other assorted bits of the layout.

Post March 24th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Looks interesting. That 'hill' sounds a bit uncomfortable though with those restraints...

Post March 24th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

I am the only person who has a truly insane layout?

Looking good Tyler.

Post March 24th, 2006, 5:35 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

hasn't someone like cjd already done something like that "hill" as well? Still would be insane though, can't really imagine what it'd feel like...

Post March 24th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Points on hand: 7,382.00 Points
That does look really fun Tyler. Seems the G forces on the loop after the vertigo hill would be high, but I am sure it is just the angle of the picture. I am excited to see all of the entry's.

Post March 24th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

Looks like delousedcoma's gonna have some pretty tough competition.

Post March 25th, 2006, 5:34 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Thorazine

Quite probably THE most extreme airtime hill in the history of No Limits. Ejector air sustained for 3.5 seconds. Beyond insane.

Well, it's not ejector airtime but just 3.5sec hangtime [;)] I've had huge discussions with people about that on msn some time ago. Also i've worked out those hangtime hills before. They always have to be big in order to work decently. I wonder how you will going to support it [:)] Should become a support mess [:D]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 25th, 2006, 6:17 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
That hill wont produce hangtime...notice that the hill curves towards the ground. If it curved the other way, with the right radius, it would produce hangtime. Thats deliberate ejector air.

Though, I dont think its the wisest choice for those trains. I am able to get away with a few inches on MF or TTD and while Im secure, I could see someone finding a way to slip out. Some ridiculous malfunction or something.

Post March 25th, 2006, 7:58 am

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

And of course a normal person would use there imagionation and come up with there own train/restraint design...

Post March 26th, 2006, 1:11 am

Points on hand: 2,319.00 Points
Supports are filling in nicely, about 75% done. Some of these headchoppers are just insane, in many places passing the tunnel test by only inches!

Post March 26th, 2006, 2:08 am

Points on hand: 2,539.00 Points
Originally posted by Wing-Over

Looks like delousedcoma's gonna have some pretty tough competition.

Looks like a great ride. I think this is going to end up being a great match-up between us.

Post March 28th, 2006, 3:07 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Here's the comments from my rate that I said I'd post here too...most likely you've already read them on CS, but this is just to back up my scores since I didn't where I posted them because this wouldn't fit.

Hey pretty good ride. You had a few huge mistakes that really held it back though, mostly dealing with supports...

BT- Like I said, you really lost a lot of points from supports. I think it's fair to count supports as 1/3 of the overall score, so about 3.25 points. Of those 3.25 points, you lost 1.75 from me. Why? Well, much of your coaster would fall down. Supports are the type of thing that don't have to be overly special, but they just have to do their job, and many of yours don't.

The biggest problem with supports was connectors. You should have a beam perpendicular to running rails that extends from the track, on all connections other than the birail ones. See here... http://rcdb.com/ig1412.htm?picture=5 and here http://rcdb.com/ig2999.htm?picture=15 You had your track connectors on almost all banked curves just sitting ontop of the support, which isn't close to being structurally sound. Even non-banked sections that aren't horizontal should have connections that are perpendicular to rails.

Another problem with supports was the lack of them on the pullout after your vertical loop. You have the connectors in the editor, but forgot to put supports in. Therefore, that section would most likely collapse under the 3+ g's or so that you have there. That comes from rushing.

Your vertigo loop supports looked pretty rushed too, and took away from the realism of the track. It seems like you randomly added supports to hold up other pieces of track, and that didn't look good. Plus, the side view shows that those X's that you used aren't very professionally done. Definately should've gone with Volcano: Blast Coaster style supports on that upside down section.

Other supporting mistakes include the single beam from the vertical loop and some random footers with no supports on them. Also, connections with the ground should be vertical, as seen here http://rcdb.com/ig1565.htm?picture=57

Trackwork was pretty good overall. Your first banking transition after the vertical loop had a pretty nasty bump in it, but other than that and the next transition which wasn't that fluent (it's ok to have fast transitions, as long as the quick banking is entered more fluently than you showed), there weren't many problems. Might want to angle your launch slightly upward though...all rockets are, so they can roll back onto the catch car before each launch, and travel back to the beginning after a rollback. Your final brakes were crooked too which isn't good because alignment with those brake fins and magnetic brakes is crucial.

Good job with leadins and leadouts of hills, shaping looked good there. No pumping ofcourse, which made your ride feel more realistic than if it were handbuilt and curves were imperfect. I think you could've worked some more with increasing/decreasing radius curves to make turns feel more unique than just circles with different slopes.

The vertigo loop was shaped well, but I think the negatives were excessive for being held that long. Plus, considering you didn't say that a new restraint style would be used, I have to assume you'd use the hyper trains seen in the game, thus that inversion would be very uncomfortable. Also, you didn't include some kind of winch or something up there like we discussed, and you didn't say in your description that it would be included IRL, so I had to take off for that, because that's a bad place to get stuck on a ride because of high winds and an underlaunch, or some kind of mechanical failure (though those are very rare).

Ad- Pretty good, but not great. Good speed through most of the ride, which got you most of your points here. Gotta love good pacing with airtime mixed in. That's a huge reason why SROS SFNE is my favorite coaster by far. I would've really liked to see larger and steeper drops though, as all descents *seemed* to be almost the same length while onride. I saw nothing special in your layout. Just looked like a 2 vertical layer rectangle of track. Good interaction with supports, but the supports were definately excessive for that vertigo loop, because you tried too hard to make headchoppers.

Contrary to what you say, the vertigo loop feels slow and honestly kind of boring, other than the forces which I'm sure would be thrilling if somewhat uncomfortable.

Like always, I really like your little random dips after curves. Those boosted adrenaline for me. Like I said, pacing was pretty good throughout, other than in the vertigo loop because it seemed drawn out. Nice airtime too other than on the last hill which would be a letdown to have those low negatives on an Intiman coaster, especially without the speed that something like MF has on it's last bunny hop. There was one bunny before your last turnaround that was one of my favorites. Nice negatives and good pacing over the top of it. The vertical loop was kindof lackluster though. Dropping is more thrilling than going up, therefore it would've been more exciting if the entry was higher than the exit.

I kindof liked that low flat section you had, but I do think a small relatively flat bunny would be better there. Didn't take off for it either way.

O-Nothing that original other than the vertigo loop, which whether I liked it or not, was definately original. The rest of the layout wasn't a copy off any ride, but didn't show me anything in terms of originality, and didn't really do anything either I haven't seen before, or better than similar elements that I have seen, which would have helped your score here. I gave you points for the vertigo loop supports, because though I didn't like them, that was a relatively original solution to your problem. I did like your twist into the first turn after the loop (in concept, it had that jerk that took away from it a little). Airtime was very sharp there so it was kindof pushing it though. Your little tunnel type section was pretty cool and original. I like how you varied the spacing between each piece to make the ride look like it's going faster than it really is. Also cool how you included the next flat section in that "tunnel."

Anyways overall good ride, just seemed so rushed. Your score would be higher if you had fixed up your supports, as you made so many novice mistakes. You know better than that! lol Anyways good luck in the competition. Sorry I didn't point out more of your mistakes earlier...it's a competition like I said, so helping your opponents too much isn't really the smartest thing to do.

Return to Hard Hat Area