Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Chicken and Mushroom or Steak and Kidney?

Chicken and Mushroom or Steak and Kidney?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Chicken and Mushroom or Steak and Kidney?

Steak and Kidney
21%
Chicken and Mushroom
7%
All Steak
25%
Meat and Potato
14%
Balti
No votes
I'm gay and prefer pasties
7%
I'm American and have no taste for real food
25%

Total votes : 28

Post March 24th, 2006, 6:06 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

[lol] all the the Americans puking at this point "how can you put meat in a pie!?" idiots... [lol]

Anyway, what pie is thine own favourite type?

Also, are you Pukka? [lol] I certainly am Pukka, nothing better than sitting down in your seat at what ever football ground you go to, with a Steak and Kidney Pukka, mmmmMMMmmmm. Although a good Macdougals family sized Chicken and Asparagus is the ultimate in terms of flavour, a pukka is all about the experience! [lol]

I'm sounding quite sad at this point, but whatever! I am THE piefectionist [:)]
Last edited by gouldy on March 24th, 2006, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 24th, 2006, 6:20 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

We have meat pies here, I find them quite good. I havn't found much of a variety though yet here, so all I have had is a basic all steak one and a chicken one.

The one thing I don't like about them is how the crust misleads you about how hot the insides are! The crust can feel cool while the inside is still boiling away...until you bite it... [lol]

Post March 24th, 2006, 7:15 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
i voted for: I'm American and have no taste for real food [lol][lol]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 24th, 2006, 8:01 am

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
^^^ even though your dutch[lol].
In-deed Danny, nothing like a steak+kidney pukka pie at the game eh?[:D]
Pastys is just food trying to be a pie[lol].
In America they call meat pastys, a 'Pattie, i had one in The 'Doubletree Hotel' in the deli, tasted of piss lol[lol].
Yup, americasn just cant make a good pie at all. Its all Fruity pies.

You make a sandwhich and you use a Croissoint instead of bread. WTF!.
I had one in IOA and truely was disgussting!!!

English food it 50x better than american food, it's all processes muck!!!

Post March 24th, 2006, 8:28 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Post March 24th, 2006, 11:40 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Don't call me Danny dude [lol] It makes me sound like I'm either gay, or from up north and frankly I'd rather not be affliated with either, thanks all the same! hahaha

Post March 24th, 2006, 11:50 am

Points on hand: 7,382.00 Points
Having spent a few months over the years in Jolley Ol', I have but one comment to add about the "cuisine" in England.

LEARN HOW TO USE SPICES!!!!!!!

English food is the most blah, flavorless food I have ever tasted, and I have been all around the world. Even Irish food, which consists of potatoes, cabbage, and a small portion of anything else, is better than English food.

Steak and Kidneys?[flush]

I think the monarchs have always shunned spice and flavor as a way of turning up their nose at the French. My opinion is that the French got the better end of that deal.[:D]

Gouldy, I love you man, and I recognize where I came from (four generations from Irish and English immagrants), but the truth is the truth.[V]

Post March 24th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Beef and Onion pie if I had to choose here, but you dont even have that on the list

As for flavorless English food...meh, I wont disagree. All I tend to eat is hot spicy foods anyways, such as Currys, but wern't currys actualy made first in Scotland? not actualy India. Also you cant beat a good ol' English fish and chips. All who visit the UK should try an authentic fish and chip shop....not fish and chips from a Restaurant, that's BS. Fish and Chips from a Fish and Chip shop, they arent hard to find

Post March 24th, 2006, 12:03 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Dude, that's a load of rubbish, all of the panel that give out michelin stars to restaurants agree that English food is quite definitely the best in Europe, because of how varied it is. Nothing beats a good Shepards pie for example, beautiful. Where as the French just eat whatever is on the floor in front of them. "ooh a frog seems to have misplaced it's leg *chomp* ... ooo and a dog seems to have shat on a leaf *chomp*" [lol].

We don't know how to use spices? The national dish these days is Curry for christs sake, what the hell are you on about?

Seriously man, you say you spent a few months nyah, what did you do, just eat sandwiches or something? As ECG was saying above, American food is terrible. Except for home cooked things obviously, but I'm talking about what you would consider national cuisine, which is undoubtedly fast food, which is all incredibly appalling at the best of times.

Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about

Post March 24th, 2006, 12:14 pm

^^^^

I don't deny for a second that American food is terrible, especially in light of the fact that everything in the US is fast food in gargatuin portions. Certain areas that have a multi-ethnic makeup do have some great food, but overall American food is pretty poor. Though keep in mind that of the top ten restaraunt in the world according to Zaggats, 5 are in the US (NY and SF) and 3 others are in France.

As for my experiences. I was a month in London and a month in Leads. The best food I found in the UK was usually bar food like bangers and mash. The traditional English food was not very good IMO, and I had locals taking me to good eating establishments. As for best in Europe???

Ha, Ha!!!!! I am not the crazy one by any means Gouldy.

Being Irish, my love for the French is not exaclty strong, but they do know how to make great food. When you have competition like France, Italy and Greece, three of the best cultures in the world for food and flavors, it would be impossible to top them. I am sure there are very good restaraunts in England, I just never experienced any of them. Fish and chips was one of my favorite meals and the Curry was also good, if a bit hot for my vanilla American palate towards hot spicy food. I also like the shepards pie and did like some of the meat pies, especially the fresh ones. I did have a frozen meat pie and got sick for two days. It looked like pudding once I opened it up.[xx(]

Post March 24th, 2006, 12:28 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

It wasn't me who said English food was the best in Europe, it was the experts (not that I'm not an expert haha), like I said, the michelin stars people said it.

I have never heard of this "Zaggats" thing [lol] but I'm certain it's American if 5 of their top 10 restaurants are in America. What are those 5 anyhow? I was wondering only because a few celebrity English chefs have set up resaurants in places like NY and have had great success, I was just wondering if infact, some of these 5 restaurants might be those ones set up by English chefs.

Hang on dude, a minute ago you were saying our food doesn't have enough flavour, then you go and say that our national dish (curry) was too hot for you.... [confused][lol]

Post March 24th, 2006, 12:52 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

In Leeds! relatively near me! Leeds sucks. Theres nothing decent there, so im not suprised you tasted crap food [:P] You have to have fish and chips like all the others have said. "Fish N chips on a friday night in a tray, n walk down to the park wit ya mates" cant beat it [:)] That made me sound a little chavvy for some reason? I dont go drinking white lightning on the park and pretending im pissed though, so im not one [:)]

Anyway about the pies. STEAK AND KIDNEY! [:D] Although i have an urge to tick "Im gay and prefer pasties", but i dont like pasties....i wont deny im gay though [r][:)][:D]lol

Post March 24th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Points on hand: 5,766.00 Points

i choose the all steak, but then again i love the steak and kidney. nothing beats a pukka pie while watching wba trashing the wolves, AGAIN[:D]
Making screams come true

Post March 24th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Taken from worldpress.org.

I humlby retract my earlier statements. Apparently only 95% of English food really sucks.[:D]

20 Best Restaurants in the World 2005
The Fat Duck, Bray, Berkshire, Britain
El Bulli, Montjoi, Spain
French Laundry, California
Tetsuya?????????s, Sydney, Australia
Gordon Ramsay, London, Britain
Pierre Gagnaire, Paris, France
Per Se, New York, New York
Tom Aikens, London, Britain
Jean Georges, New York, New York
St John, London, Britain
Michel Bras, Laguiole, France
Louis XV, Monaco
Chez Panisse, California
Charlie Trotter, Chicago, Illinois
Gramercy Tavern, New York, New York
Guy Savoy, Paris, France
Alain Ducasse, Paris, France
Sketch (Gallery), London, Britain
The Waterside Inn, Bray, Britain
Nobu, London, Britain

Post March 24th, 2006, 2:57 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

kidney pie? mushroom pie? you Brits and Canadians are sick! Steak pie or chicken pie is fine but adding that tasteless stuff is insane in the membrane!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post March 24th, 2006, 3:27 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by WeeWeeSlap

you Brits and Canadians are sick!

and how long did it took to figure that out? [lol]

Post March 24th, 2006, 4:13 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

What is wrong with kindey or Mushroom? I'm almost certain you've never tried a steak and kidney pie, or chicken and mushroom, because you most definitely would not have posted that if you had [lol]

and as for pdonahue, only 95% of English food really sucks? [lol] you wish, I think you'll find you're just jealous [:)]

Post March 24th, 2006, 4:55 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,868.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

[lol] kidneys, come on!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post March 24th, 2006, 5:38 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

taste very nice, yes I know [^] heh. While I admit the texture of a kindey is a little off putting, you certainly can't feel the texture of them when they're in the pie, and a kidney is one of the most flavoursome things ever, I love steak and kidney pies, as will no doubt 99.9% of all born british people [;)] the other 0.1% have gravy allergies... [lol]

Post March 24th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

"Of the top 50, 14 of the restaurants are in Britain. According to Restaurant Magazine, ?????????There will be some who feel this year?????????s list is too London-centric, with 26 percent of the list given over to restaurants in and around the English capital"

14 out of 50 is actually pretty high...panel could have been British!

Post March 24th, 2006, 6:28 pm

I was in the 'Alehouse' in Orlando watching the Citrus Bowl final and for food i ordered fish and chips. Honestly they gave me 3 whole fishes and a bucket of chips, and it also tasted of p**s.
Thats the good thing about English Food, your paying for quality.

America just has cheap rubbish for food, all processed, nothing fresh at all.

As for musheooms in a pie, perfect combination. All the juices from the meat embalm the mushrooms flavour and texture. SO GOOD!

Post March 24th, 2006, 6:38 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Yeah, american food is crap. I tell you what country has food just as good as English food though! Greece! [:)] And Turkey for that matter. Both have well nice food. Much better than American food.

Post March 24th, 2006, 7:00 pm

Because of the natural ingrediients mate.
Musaka is a beautiful greek dish, along with Guiros mmmmm.
American food is W**k, European food is good, apart from icelandin, random poop.

Post March 25th, 2006, 8:14 am

Points on hand: 2,143.00 Points
Well i voted meat and potato. You can't beat sitting at the BOLTON game with a meat and potato pie. You know bolton from the PREMIERSHIP.

Post March 25th, 2006, 8:59 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

I tell you what country has food just as good as English food though! Greece! And Turkey for that matter

When I went Greece, the food just made me ill. Swordfish was plain disgusting, but I guess Greek food is an aquired taste. Also I cant complain that much about American food, however digusting and made of cardboard, rats tails and badger feaces McDonalds may be, it still doesnt taste bad. Didnt the Americans also invent Pizza? Cant complain about that either

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion