Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Save Myrtle Beach Amusement Park

Save Myrtle Beach Amusement Park

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post April 5th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points

Myrtle Beach Amusement park, will be closing this september, as it ends its final season on the Myrtle Beach Pavillion, located in Myrtle Beach, SC.

The park's 49 rides, teen nightclub and arcade have been a key stop for summer tourists to the Grand Strand since it opened in 1948.

But shareholders have pressured the company to make a change, because the park has not been profitable in recent years, Wendel said. About 850,000 people visited the park last year.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/14062170.htm

Its really sad I've only gone to the park once and that was the only reason I really even wanted to go to Myrtle Beach. Now I dont know what I'll do, since all they have now is the Family Kingdom Amusement Park and that one really stinks.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/myrtlebeach

^please help^
Last edited by Coasterkat on April 5th, 2006, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If looks could kill I'd be a dead man."

Post April 5th, 2006, 9:58 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points

Post April 5th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points

Yes its that park.

Btw, that GCI is freakin awesome.[approve]
"If looks could kill I'd be a dead man."

Post April 5th, 2006, 10:26 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

^ It's a CCI. ANyways, if it goes, I hope they can save it and send it to some other park which will care for it and love it, but most likely not seeing as how its not really all that portable.

Post April 5th, 2006, 10:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
That freakin sucks. I wanted to get down there to ride that too.

Post April 5th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Having been to this park many times from the many trips to South Carolina I'm a bit sad about this and a bit pissed that I only missed Hurricane by one year!

I hope somebody or a park can save some of the rides and move them to a safe location.

Post April 5th, 2006, 10:40 pm

Points on hand: 4,164.00 Points
I don't think it's that big a loss really. I always found the park to be very corporate with rude employees, molasses-like operations, and high (even by MB standards) prices.

The CCI is quite possible one of the worst rides I've ever had the (mis)fortune of riding. Horrible jackhammering around the entire course, a poor layout, and highly uncomfortable trains. Probably the worst CCI ever, and probably in the bottom 10 among all wooden coasters.

Family Kingdom on the other hand is a small, charming beachside amusement park with a classic feel that is operationally head and shoulders above the pavillion.

The wooden coaster is a classic John Allen ride with a fun and suprisingly compact layout, plenty of air, great pacing, great well padded trains, and it's also one of the most photogenic coasters ever, with a great lighting package.

Post April 12th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Points on hand: 2,717.00 Points

Damn. First Astroworld, then Libertyland and now this park. WTF happened to the amusement industry?

Post April 12th, 2006, 10:01 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Return to General Theme Park Discussions